PDA

View Full Version : Sockintine Sock Swap!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10

KellyK
01-05-2007, 11:17 PM
I alwaya carry the pattern down the top of the foot... its PREEETY! And, I wear my handknitted socks almost exclusively now, and have never walked away with a pattern etched in my foot. :teehee:

Lieke
01-06-2007, 12:27 AM
:waah: i wish i could bring mine to the knit meet on Monday too :waah:

Awww its ok we wish you could be there as well. You can be there in spirit we usually start knitting about 7pm EST and go till 9pm so if you knitt on your time we will be knitting together... :hug: :teehee: we can all knit together around the world... that would be cool... :teehee:

:?? ofcourse it might be the middle of the Night for some..... :ick: :zombie: Oh well... its just an idea... :teehee:

it would be in the middle of the night for me :teehee:

Jenelle
01-06-2007, 12:29 AM
I alwaya carry the pattern down the top of the foot... its PREEETY! And, I wear my handknitted socks almost exclusively now, and have never walked away with a pattern etched in my foot. :teehee:

I never wore hand knit socks before. I better get my partners done soon so I can start on a pair for me. :teehee:

Lieke
01-06-2007, 12:36 AM
I love all those yarns.

jberry, I tried to visit your blog, but it was impossible for me. I've also got a blog and as you, I like getting comments.

why is everyone turning the heel already. I'm only halfway the foot. (doing toe-up) I guess I'll have to work faster (if only I had more time)

feminine_earth
01-06-2007, 01:03 AM
jberry, I tried to visit your blog, but it was impossible for me. I've also got a blog and as you, I like getting comments.
jberry, your link to your blog has an extra "url" at the end of it, which is probably why Lieke can't view it.

Lieke, if you click on the link to her blog, and then delete the letters "url" at the end of the address, it should let you view it. :)

Friskums
01-06-2007, 01:03 AM
why is everyone turning the heel already. I'm only halfway the foot. (doing toe-up) I guess I'll have to work faster (if only I had more time)
I haven't started yet. :shifty:

Shandeh
01-06-2007, 06:37 AM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one freaking out over this sock swap thing. I finally just FORCED myself to choose a yarn and pattern and cast on.

So far, I've finished the cuff on both socks, and I'm halfway down the leg of one of them. I think they will look pretty!

I'm using handpainted Wildfoote Luxury Sock Yarn in a pretty pink shade. I'm not a lover of pink myself, but my partner seems to be. I hope I'm right! :pray:

Shandeh
01-06-2007, 06:43 AM
Oh, and I know it was like seven pages ago, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the yarns that Sandra Ellen and Knit Queen picked!
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

*KnitPixie*
01-06-2007, 06:45 AM
Sandy I love how your socks are turning out :heart: What a pretty color!

Shandeh
01-06-2007, 06:50 AM
Thank you, KnitPixie! I've been worrying myself to DEATH over these socks! :help:

five_six
01-06-2007, 09:17 AM
I didn't actually realize it was possible to warp and bend metal needles! :shock:

Oh Dilly, casualty one in the Sock Swap!! You know, i have a few metals that look just like that one... they could be twins!

You should put a bandaid on it... help it feel better :teehee:

five_six
01-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Shandeh... I posted out of excitement before i read the other three pages i had missed during the course of the day (i hate looking like i've posted twice in a row, but anyway)

I JUST LOVE MY SOCKS!! You are doing a grand job! :muah:

Stiney
01-06-2007, 12:07 PM
I didn't actually realize it was possible to warp and bend metal needles! :shock:

Oh Dilly, casualty one in the Sock Swap!! You know, i have a few metals that look just like that one... they could be twins!

You should put a bandaid on it... help it feel better :teehee:

:rofl:

Lieke
01-06-2007, 12:45 PM
jberry, your link to your blog has an extra "url" at the end of it, which is probably why Lieke can't view it.

Lieke, if you click on the link to her blog, and then delete the letters "url" at the end of the address, it should let you view it. :)

You are right, it worked. (btw, I saw your comment on my blog. So nice of you :heart: )

mintdee
01-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Sandy! My socks are so pretty :muah:

That is a great pattern. :teehee:

AmandaC
01-06-2007, 02:01 PM
I frogged my sock .... I thought it looked too wide, so I have chosen a different pattern and it looks much better.

Shandeh
01-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Yay! Two more of you possible sock swap partners like the socks! :cheering:

There's hope for me after all. :teehee:

Angelia
01-06-2007, 03:47 PM
:teehee:

KnittinMitchie
01-06-2007, 04:30 PM
I finally got my yarn from Knit Picks (http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/itemid_5420119/yarn_display) yesterday.
I have to say that it is growing on me slowly. lol i might have to order me some more to make me a pair of socks. hehe

Also a REALLY REALLY good sock book is Sensational Knitted Socks. (http://www.knitpicks.com/books/itemid_30656/books_display) There are tons and tons of combinations that you can knit from just that book alone. The book also has charts so you can knit socks for ANYONE.

Andrea
01-06-2007, 04:41 PM
I haven't started yet. :shifty:

Me neither... :shrug:

Angelia
01-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Nor have I...

Hsiaokuo62
01-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Had to share this with you all! Have you seen this?? Its a sock pattern (free) fro illusion knitting - hearts that come and go on socks, of course.

http://slippedstitch.blogspot.com/2005_10_01_slippedstitch_archive.html

Way too advanced for me but I bet some of you can handle it :eyebrow:

Angelia
01-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Oooh, cool!! Illusion knitting isn't hard at all--it looks far more complicated than it is!

I'm liking the boyfriend socks on that blogpage, too!

Yarngineer
01-06-2007, 07:02 PM
oooh. those boyfriend socks are cayuuute. I think I am going to have to do those. I think I have the same yarn set aside in my stash just for my husband....'cept it is a blue color.

:cheering: :cheering:

jberry16
01-06-2007, 07:30 PM
...Also a REALLY REALLY good sock book is Sensational Knitted Socks. (http://www.knitpicks.com/books/itemid_30656/books_display) There are tons and tons of combinations that you can knit from just that book alone. The book also has charts so you can knit socks for ANYONE.
I concur, this book is great, the second one is comming out the end of March. More Sensational Knitted Socks, I've preordered mine through WalMart.com and Amazon.com has it too. seems so far off, but it'll be here 'for we know it.

Shandeh
01-06-2007, 07:56 PM
I almost bought it the other day at AC Moore, with my gift certificate. But I decided to get "Beautiful Embroidered and Embellished Knits" (http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Embroidered-Embellished-Knits-Davis/dp/0967803306) instead.

:heart: I couldn't resist!!! :heart:

KellyK
01-07-2007, 12:43 AM
SSS is the sock BIBLE, as far as Im concerned. I DIDNT KNOW THERE WAS ANOTHER ONE COMING OUT!!!! :out:

Lieke
01-07-2007, 04:43 AM
that illusion knitting looks great. I love it. But I've already started my socks and I'm not going to frog them.

Angelia
01-07-2007, 08:54 AM
SSS is the sock BIBLE, as far as Im concerned. I DIDNT KNOW THERE WAS ANOTHER ONE COMING OUT!!!! :out:

Oh wow, I didn't know that either!! :woot:

KellyK
01-07-2007, 10:15 AM
I was searching ALL OVER for a preview of the book.... couldnt find one. :!!!:

jrsas
01-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Hi all! the yarn is beautiful that is being posted. I have had to read ten pages to catch up. Here is a teaser for my pal. I have all ready found a pattern that is working well. Reminds me of the Pacific Ocean in the Santa Barbara area of California. The pattern looks like the waves coming to shore. I don't have a picture of the sock yet, I have turned the heel on the first one. My pal said she doesn't like pink or red so I hope this colorway will work.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k109/jrsas/DSCN2132.jpg

AmandaC
01-07-2007, 11:14 AM
:grrr: I wish I had been more specific on colour now .... then I would have been able to try to guess who was making socks for me!!! I think I just said 'not vomit coloured' :shrug: :oops: :teehee:

Angelia
01-07-2007, 11:25 AM
:grrr: I wish I had been more specific on colour now .... then I would have been able to try to guess who was making socks for me!!! I think I just said 'not vomit coloured' :shrug: :oops: :teehee:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Jackie, that LS yarn is gorgeous!!! What colorway is that?

Andrea
01-07-2007, 11:56 AM
:pray: that Jackie is my partner!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thud:

mwedzi
01-07-2007, 12:58 PM

Curiously enough, I *just* knit some vomit colored socks. And they were the most subtle coloring of Cascade Fixation in the store!

mwedzi
01-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Ooooh, pretty. :inlove:

Hi all! the yarn is beautiful that is being posted. I have had to read ten pages to catch up. Here is a teaser for my pal. I have all ready found a pattern that is working well. Reminds me of the Pacific Ocean in the Santa Barbara area of California. The pattern looks like the waves coming to shore. I don't have a picture of the sock yet, I have turned the heel on the first one. My pal said she doesn't like pink or red so I hope this colorway will work.

jolenel
01-07-2007, 02:30 PM

Curiously enough, I *just* knit some vomit colored socks. And they were the most subtle coloring of Cascade Fixation in the store!

These two posts almost made me spit out my coffee. :roflhard:

Everyone's sock colors are soooo pretty! And Shandeh, you work on both the socks in a pair at the same time? That's a great idea.

JLC
01-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Here's a pic of my yarn. One of the colors will be for my partner. Which one??????? They are all Lorna's Laces.

Notice the bottom picture. As soon as I set the yarn down on the white box I was using, my dog ran and got her ratty chew rope and plopped it down right beside the yarn. :roflhard:

AmandaC
01-07-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm voting for the ones on the right :happydance: the reddish ones

Vendie
01-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Here's a pic of my yarn. One of the colors will be for my partner. Which one??????? They are all Lorna's Laces.

Notice the bottom picture. As soon as I set the yarn down on the white box I was using, my dog ran and got her ratty chew rope and plopped it down right beside the yarn. :roflhard:

I saw the pictures first, and I thought, "my, look at that yarn...that's, um, interesting" :roflhard: I love of all of it, thank you :teehee:

Yarngineer
01-07-2007, 09:01 PM
JLC,

I like the two on the right, especially the red one. I think your dog was trying to share her "fiber stash." Just following mommy's lead. :teehee:

mwedzi
01-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Love all those lorna's laces, but the center one is my fave. That's Black Purl, right? Is the black and gray one a pinstripe? I like that one, too.

Stiney
01-07-2007, 09:49 PM
I like them all. You can pick any of them for my socks. :rofl:

JLC
01-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Love all those lorna's laces, but the center one is my fave. That's Black Purl, right? Is the black and gray one a pinstripe? I like that one, too.

Left to right are: Mineshaft, Black Purl, and Gold Hill

The Black Purl is my favorite.

KnittyKitty
01-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Progress finally! I was initially doing Elfine's socks pattern but when I knit a full repeat of the pattern, no one could see it (here in person) and we agreed it didn't look good. So I frogged it and just started the Pomatomus.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/hewittli/poma2-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/hewittli/poma-1.jpg

Lisa

Andrea
01-07-2007, 10:45 PM
:cheering: Pretty!!!

I just started mine tonight...it's going good so far! :cheering: I guess I should take a progress shot :thinking:

Maybe tomorrow :teehee:

knitqueen
01-07-2007, 10:45 PM
Oh my gosh, those are FANTASTIC. I love that pattern - I just haven't had the right yarn to try it out yet. It's so unique. Great job! I liked the other one that you started as well but I think you'll be happy that you changed your mind. :hug:

want2knit
01-07-2007, 11:11 PM

Lucky pal! That is just gorgeous!!!! I think I might have to splurge and order that colorway. I am on the foot portion of the first sock, only a couple more inches to go and I can start to dc the toe and then graft. Yeah! Then onto the next one right away.

jrsas
01-07-2007, 11:20 PM
The yarn color is South Pacific. The pattern is Petal Lace socks by Lisa Souza. I tried another pattern and didn't like the way it looked. I stuffed white tissue paper into the sock to show the pattern. My pal lives where it gets cold so I did purchase wool. These should keep her feet warm. I am working on the foot of the first sock. It is going quickly even with size 1 needles.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k109/jrsas/DSCN2135_edited-1.jpg

Stiney
01-07-2007, 11:24 PM
I love my socks, jrsas and knittykitty. :teehee:

jberry16
01-08-2007, 12:06 AM
I just have to say everything looks yummy and the patterns y'all have picked are so purdy. I picked up the gusset and have done 4 rounds since that as of today. For some reason I enjoy people watching better in the hospital than knitting-am I sick?

Lieke
01-08-2007, 03:33 AM
all the socks and yarns look great. :heart:

Liliyarn
01-08-2007, 04:53 AM
I have finally knit the first full pattern repeat for sock # 1.

Oh and everyone....

It's Five_Six's birthday

:present: :balloons: Happy Birthday Five_Six!!! :balloons: :present:

:clink:

Lieke
01-08-2007, 05:12 AM
Happy birthday five_six!!!!

five_six
01-08-2007, 05:24 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Thanks Lili and Lieke... :grphug: you just made my day.

Drinks are on me everyone...

AmandaC
01-08-2007, 06:09 AM
Happy Birthday Five-Six (seven eight) Have a great day and I hope you get lots of knitty gifts :happydance: :muah: :hug:

Shandeh
01-08-2007, 07:32 AM
Wow Dee! You have the same birthday as ELVIS! :teehee:
(I know, because my birthday was yesterday - January 7th.)

Yarngineer
01-08-2007, 10:17 AM
Happy Happy Happy Birthday!!!!
:present: :balloons: :yay:

Andrea
01-08-2007, 10:33 AM
:clink: Happy Birthday!!! :balloons:

Angelia
01-08-2007, 11:04 AM
:happydance: Happy Birthday, Dee!!! :happydance:

Leah22b
01-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Sock-swap knitting can be a dangerous sport - check out the injury my metal DPN suffered tonight:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/0004_108.jpg

Oh no.... I hope you can fix it. Do you think it will bend back?
Good Luck!

Leah22b
01-08-2007, 11:21 AM
I love all those yarns.

Don't feel bad... I've :frog: frogged back to cast on... :pout: :verysad: Hopefully I can get on track tonight.

Leah22b
01-08-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one freaking out over this sock swap thing. I finally just FORCED myself to choose a yarn and pattern and cast on.

So far, I've finished the cuff on both socks, and I'm halfway down the leg of one of them. I think they will look pretty!

I'm using handpainted Wildfoote Luxury Sock Yarn in a pretty pink shade. I'm not a lover of pink myself, but my partner seems to be. I hope I'm right! :pray:

Oh they look really pretty... what a nice job...

Dilly
01-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Good Luck!

It's still warped. I think it's permanent. :shrug:

Leah22b
01-08-2007, 11:54 AM

Oh how purdy! :drool:

Leah22b
01-08-2007, 12:00 PM

They are really purdy... That's better then what my dog would have done...lol... Rope toys last about 5 min. ok maybe 10 min. in my house before they are reduced to strands all over the house...lol Lucky for me she hasn't mistaken my stash for any rope toys...lol

Leah22b
01-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Progress finally! I was initially doing Elfine's socks pattern but when I knit a full repeat of the pattern, no one could see it (here in person) and we agreed it didn't look good. So I frogged it and just started the Pomatomus.

Lisa

That is comeing out sooooooooo purdy... :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

Leah22b
01-08-2007, 12:12 PM

Thanks Lili and Lieke... :grphug: you just made my day.

Drinks are on me everyone...

Happy Birthday! :balloons:

Leah22b
01-08-2007, 12:13 PM

:balloons: Happy Belated Birthday Shandeh!

Leah22b
01-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Good Luck!

It's still warped. I think it's permanent. :shrug:

Hummmmmmm... hopefully they won't cause too much trouble if you use them.

knitqueen
01-08-2007, 12:19 PM
A bent needle still works, I have a few myself! :teehee:

I'm making progress, doing gusset decreases on sock #1. I'm not doing overly long socks (long up the leg, that is) so it's going pretty quick. They're looking purty!! :happydance:

Yarngineer
01-08-2007, 12:47 PM
I have too many bent sock needles! All of mine are. You can work just fine with bent ones. I think alot of the metal needles are hollow inside to make them more cheaply and lighter, therefore they are more easily bent than solid metal.

Lieke
01-08-2007, 01:28 PM
I always use my mom's needles and some of them are pretty old (the belonged to my grandmother once) A lot of them are bent, but they work just fine.

Friskums
01-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Started my first pair. I found a different sock yarn in my stash, so I'm gonna see how that one turns out. The colors are just what I wanted, and the pattern seems to be working well, thus far. But, we'll see what happens when I get to the heel. hehe..

I'm having to modify the pattern a little bit, because I'm doing toe-up and the pattern isn't written that way. Plus, my gauge was off, so I'm having to re-work it for that.

Maybe if I like them too much I'll just have to keep this pair for myself. :teehee: :teehee:

Liliyarn
01-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Finally some progress! After throwing caution to the winds, I stuck with a pattern. If I'm lucky, no more frogging....

You can barely see the pattern in the picture, but trust me...it's there.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/138/350799740_aadb6ba394_o.jpg

knitqueen
01-08-2007, 05:19 PM
I can see it just fine - it looks gorgeous!! :muah:

want2knit
01-08-2007, 05:31 PM
I can see the pattern too, how pretty are those!

:present: Happy Birthday five-six, now get picking up those sticks! :teehee: :balloons:

jberry16
01-08-2007, 05:34 PM
I see the pattern looks purdy to me.
Happy b-day five_six

Angelia
01-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Ooooh, Lily!!! :inlove:

Friskums...my fear is that I'll like the socks I knit too much to give them away!! :rofl:

jolenel
01-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Happy birthday, five_six and Shandeh! :balloons:

Friskums...my fear is that I'll like the socks I knit too much to give them away!! :rofl:

Fortunately, the person I'm making socks for doesn't have the same shoe size as I do! :rofl:

Leah22b
01-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Finally some progress! After throwing caution to the winds, I stuck with a pattern. If I'm lucky, no more frogging....

You can barely see the pattern in the picture, but trust me...it's there.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/138/350799740_aadb6ba394_o.jpg

They look really pretty. I can see the pattern... I can't wait to see them tonight...lol

Liliyarn
01-08-2007, 06:03 PM
I have the bestest swap pal....she said she *may* knit me two pairs one for the swap and one for my b day. :heart:

I'm not holding her to it.

She is also designing the socks just for little ol' me :flirt:

My precious almost cube shaped feet are that special :rofl:

I just like bragging on people....

Leah22b
01-08-2007, 06:10 PM
I have the bestest swap pal....she said she *may* knit me two pairs one for the swap and one for my b day. :heart:

I'm not holding her to it.

She is also designing the socks just for little ol' me :flirt:

My precious almost cube shaped feet are that special :rofl:

I just like bragging on people....

You don't have cube shaped feet.... silly :teehee: I saw your feet when you were showing off your spinning socks....lol No cubes...lol

earthchick
01-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Okay, people, give it to me straight:

If you were my sock pal, would you rather have variegated yarn, or semi-solid?

You may remember that I ordered Lorna's Laces semi-solid in "blackberry," a lovely dark purple. The yarn came today and I love it. LOVE it.

But after seeing all the great pics and raves on this thread about all the gorgeous variegated yarn, I'm second-guessing myself. I chose semi-solid b/c I thought it would show off the pattern I'm using better. But I don't want my sock pally to feel bad b/c she's not getting some jazzy multi-colored yarn.

So. Pretend you are my sock pal and shoot it to me straight. Do you want the dark purple? Or would you rather have variegated? [fingers crossed that my actual sock pal really does ring in]

p.s. Sorry not to show a pic of the actual yarn with actual pattern, but I'm out of time for that kind of thing right now.

AmandaC
01-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Ok - if it's me - the semi-solid would be perfect .... but if you would prefere to keep it for yourself that would also be acceptable :grrr: actually no it wouldn't ... go buy your own :teehee: :teehee:

Andrea
01-08-2007, 06:47 PM
I would want purple or the varigated....

such help, aren't we?

Vendie
01-08-2007, 07:05 PM
ooooooh, I would love that dark purple you're talking about. It sounds delicious :inlove:

Stiney
01-08-2007, 07:16 PM
:muah:

So sweet of you to ask my opinion! :teehee:

The variegateds are pretty, but don't always show off the pattern. I'd be happy with either, but if you want the pattern to really show, then it might be better to pick the semi-solid. Besides, the semi-solids are gorgeous, too! :inlove:

JLC
01-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Honestly, I would (will) be happy with whatever I get. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not really "expecting" anything in particular. Go with your instinct, though. If you LOVE the yarn, chances are your partner will too!!!

five_six
01-08-2007, 07:54 PM

Happy Birthday Shandeh!!... you know, when i was young and still in school, i thought that was the coolest thing in the world and used to tell everyone that it was my and Elvis's birthday, but no-one else seemed to give a hoot, and all looked at me like i was strange for making a fuss about it... I'm glad someone else brought up that fact instead of me :muah:

Lili - those socks are absolutely looking gorgeeeooouuusss.. and trust me, her foot is at least square, if not a cube... :teehee:

Earthchick, I'm a little late responding, so i hope you haven't made a start on my socks, but make sure you use the semi solids for my little footsies, it was too perty. Don't feel bad you didn't get me verigated, i don't mind at all :hug:

Thanks everyone for the happy birthdays... my Options have been ordered, now i just have to start the long waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting process. Not sure how long they will take to get all the way here, but i'll be checking the mail everyday anyway.

JLC
01-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Happy Birthday Shandeh!!... you know, when i was young and still in school, i thought that was the coolest thing in the world and used to tell everyone that it was my and Elvis's birthday, but no-one else seemed to give a hoot, and all looked at me like i was strange for making a fuss about it... I'm glad someone else brought up that fact instead of me :muah:.

My birthday is the same as Hitler's...I'd rather have Elvis. :pout:

Angelia
01-08-2007, 08:42 PM
I like both solids and variegateds....I'm not helpful either!

Evidence of my indecision below: Lisa Souza (L to R, Berry Poppins, Garnet, Violet's Pink Ribbon, Gold)

Now, which to use for my pal...:thinking:

five_six
01-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Angelia - The verigated purple on the left will be absolutely perfect... thanks

Stiney
01-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Happy Birthday Shandeh!!... you know, when i was young and still in school, i thought that was the coolest thing in the world and used to tell everyone that it was my and Elvis's birthday, but no-one else seemed to give a hoot, and all looked at me like i was strange for making a fuss about it... I'm glad someone else brought up that fact instead of me :muah:.

My birthday is the same as Hitler's...I'd rather have Elvis. :pout:

I got Bill Clinton, John Stamos, and Peter Gallagher!

(I am a left-wing musician with hair eyebrows?!)

Angelia, I'll take the Berry Poppins, thanks!

mwedzi
01-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Happy Birthday Shandeh and five_six! :balloons:

Shandeh
01-08-2007, 09:26 PM
OMG! jrsas and knitty kitty have started making GORGEOUS socks!
:inlove: :heart: :inlove: :heart: :inlove:

And so far, I haven't seen a yarn I don't like. (except for the pinks....just not my cup of tea.) But I ADORE all the earthtones, blues, greens, burgundies. UN-FREAKIN-BELIEVABLE!!!!

feminine_earth
01-08-2007, 10:06 PM

Evidence of my indecision below: Lisa Souza (L to R, Berry Poppins, Garnet, Violet's Pink Ribbon, Gold)

Oh, that pink, white, and green speckled yarn is soooooo pretty! :inlove:

jcmom
01-08-2007, 10:35 PM
I'm another who's not of much help. I honestly don't care what I get, because I'm just thrilled with a surprise. Everything that's been posted is beautiful. :shrug:
I had an one idea for my pal and it was for a specific reason. Then more yarn arrived and I was questioning my decision. I'm going with my original plan and hope she likes them.

five_six
01-08-2007, 10:50 PM
you know, my partner is like the worlds best taunter I think... she constantly has me catching my breath, and i never know if she is serious or not!!

Apparently my socks are being 'purified' as we speak, due to the 'birthday tradition'... LOL. Whilst I am growing accustomed to the taunts now, for a while there, I thought I was turning into the worlds most gullible person... unless they are not just taunts :shock:

This has certainly taught me a few things, and next swap, I am gonna be soooo prepared for the tauntfest :teehee:

Shandeh
01-08-2007, 11:21 PM
I haven't been taunted, and I haven't taunted my partner either!

I'm okay with it. I just want me some socks! :teehee:

Jenelle
01-08-2007, 11:21 PM
I want to be taunted badly. :pout:

Andrea
01-08-2007, 11:26 PM
Ang, I've never seen gold...it's pretty...just make me socks with that :shrug:

Liliyarn
01-08-2007, 11:44 PM

Taunt :poke: taunt :poke: taunt :poke: taunt :poke: taunt :poke: taunt

Shandeh
01-08-2007, 11:49 PM
:poke: Jenelle

Jenelle
01-09-2007, 12:24 AM

Taunt :poke: taunt :poke: taunt :poke: taunt :poke: taunt :poke: taunt

:poke: Jenelle

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :pout:

want2knit
01-09-2007, 12:46 AM
earthchick--if you were knitting for me, I would definitely pick the semi-solid so I could see the pattern, plus I love purple!

Angelia--Berry Poppins 'll do--gorgeous.

Lieke
01-09-2007, 04:01 AM

You may remember that I ordered Lorna's Laces semi-solid in "blackberry," a lovely dark purple. The yarn came today and I love it. LOVE it.

But after seeing all the great pics and raves on this thread about all the gorgeous variegated yarn, I'm second-guessing myself. I chose semi-solid b/c I thought it would show off the pattern I'm using better. But I don't want my sock pally to feel bad b/c she's not getting some jazzy multi-colored yarn.

So. Pretend you are my sock pal and shoot it to me straight. Do you want the dark purple? Or would you rather have variegated? [fingers crossed that my actual sock pal really does ring in]

p.s. Sorry not to show a pic of the actual yarn with actual pattern, but I'm out of time for that kind of thing right now.

I'd love either. (I know, not much of a help)

Lieke
01-09-2007, 04:03 AM
you know, my partner is like the worlds best taunter I think... she constantly has me catching my breath, and i never know if she is serious or not!!

Apparently my socks are being 'purified' as we speak, due to the 'birthday tradition'... LOL. Whilst I am growing accustomed to the taunts now, for a while there, I thought I was turning into the worlds most gullible person... unless they are not just taunts :shock:

This has certainly taught me a few things, and next swap, I am gonna be soooo prepared for the tauntfest :teehee:

I have been taunted twice when the names were just known, but no taunting the last few weeks. (I keep checking my blog and email, hoping to get a taunt)

Liliyarn
01-09-2007, 04:41 AM
A Call to Taunt

Calling all sock knitters. It's time to put the needles down for a moment and find a way to taunt your victi....er I mean swap pals!

I've been neglectful as well. No more! For zero cents a day you can show your cruel....um...compassion by posting in a blog, opening an online e-mail address for the swap, or have a middle person pass along the message! Think of all those poor bare tootsies out there waiting for your socks. They need to feel the sniky...er love.

Give them a hint at the color, the maker, the fiber content, how far along you are, tell them how soft the yarn is and how it takes your breath away, what kinds of surprises are you putting in your package, how you stress over the perfect pattern... how you haven't started, but are thinking of the yarn and pattern, or a simple..."HA HA I'm knitting your socks right now..."

All it takes is a quick e-mail....or a PM. Angelia would make a great middle person and she doesn't seem to mind....

Just think of all those bare feet waiting for a "Hello." :pout:
Don't wait...only you can prevent another foot from not being taunted!

Lieke
01-09-2007, 04:58 AM
:rofl: :roflhard:

AmandaC
01-09-2007, 05:09 AM
Angelia .. . I quite like the Violet's pink ribbon - but if you bought that for a specific reason other than the sock swap then I've already got Berry Poppins, so the Garnet or Gold please.

ta muchly

earthchick
01-09-2007, 07:47 AM
You guys are great! :muah: And so helpful (even when you think you're not being). Though I really liked Amanda's original suggestion that I keep the yarn and knit a pair for myself, I guess I'll go ahead and plan on using this yarn for my sock pal and hope she likes it!

Angelia
01-09-2007, 09:20 AM
Angelia .. . I quite like the Violet's pink ribbon - but if you bought that for a specific reason other than the sock swap then I've already got Berry Poppins, so the Garnet or Gold please.

ta muchly

"ta muchly" :roflhard: :roflhard:

I can't believe all of you have staked claim to my Lisa Souza goodies! :shock:

mwedzi
01-09-2007, 10:34 AM

Oooh, ooh, definitely the gold! Or maybe the garnet . . .

sara_jayne
01-09-2007, 10:59 AM
You all are having so much fun with this - it is so hard to keep up with! All the yarn is so lovely and I can't wait to get my socks - I'll be thrilled about anything I get!

I finally started my socks......

I had yarn on order and it is still on order with no word when it will be coming in so I had to go to plan Z. I hope my partner likes these, I'm a bit worried :help: so be kind swap pal! I'm using Socks That Rock, heavy weight, in the color "Beryl".

I'm using the Sensational Knitted Socks book and I'm in :heart: with it. I wish I could say the same for my bamboo needles :wall: I can't wait to order the new larger Options DPNs!

Here is my progress.....

jberry16
01-09-2007, 11:21 AM
You all are having so much fun with this - it is so hard to keep up with! All the yarn is so lovely and I can't wait to get my socks - I'll be thrilled about anything I get!

I had yarn on order and it is still on order with no word when it will be coming in so I had to go to plan Z. I hope my partner likes these, I'm a bit worried :help: so be kind swap pal! I'm using Socks That Rock, heavy weight, in the color "Beryl".

I'm using the Sensational Knitted Socks book and I'm in :heart: with it. I wish I could say the same for my bamboo needles :wall: I can't wait to order the new larger Options DPNs!

Here is my progress.....
very nice, love the color and isn't that book grand!?!?!!!!! I'm using it (first time) too and love it!

Leah22b
01-09-2007, 11:30 AM

I think the purple is great and if it shows your pattern well then go for it. I'm just doing a basic sock pattern as a nice pattern wouldn't show with my varigated. In some ways I wish I had picked a solid to show off a pretty pattern.... but I'm still new so Varigated will have to make up a pretty pattern all its own to make up for my basic knitting...lol

Stiney
01-09-2007, 11:32 AM
SJ, I love MY SOCKS! :heart: :muah: :teehee:

Leah22b
01-09-2007, 11:35 AM

Oh those are sooooooooooo purdy... Thank you Thank you Thank you... I like them all...lol

AmandaC
01-09-2007, 12:02 PM
SJ - that is a beeeee-u-tiful colour of yarn - I love it - thanks so much, it matches my eyes.

I'm using the SKS book as well. I'm doing the corded rib (4st pattern) but my yarn is a bit bobbly in texture so the pattern doesn't show up well whatever I tried. But dearest sock swap pal ... (whoever you are :twisted: :teehee: ) don't worry - they still look good :muah:

doesn't stop me worrying that you aren't going to like them though :pout:

Shandeh
01-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Beautiful, Sara Jayne!!! :heart:

Leah22b
01-09-2007, 12:09 PM

Angelia, I'll take the Berry Poppins, thanks!

:roflhard: :roflhard: :chair:

I share my day with Kurt Cobain, Kelsey Grammer, Joel Rifkind & Roger Penske...lol So I guess that makes me (a Scruffy funny Serial Killer with speed issues.)

:roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard:

Leah22b
01-09-2007, 12:16 PM
A Call to Taunt

Calling all sock knitters. It's time to put the needles down for a moment and find a way to taunt your victi....er I mean swap pals!

I've been neglectful as well. No more! For zero cents a day you can show your cruel....um...compassion by posting in a blog, opening an online e-mail address for the swap, or have a middle person pass along the message! Think of all those poor bare tootsies out there waiting for your socks. They need to feel the sniky...er love.

Give them a hint at the color, the maker, the fiber content, how far along you are, tell them how soft the yarn is and how it takes your breath away, what kinds of surprises are you putting in your package, how you stress over the perfect pattern... how you haven't started, but are thinking of the yarn and pattern, or a simple..."HA HA I'm knitting your socks right now..."

All it takes is a quick e-mail....or a PM. Angelia would make a great middle person and she doesn't seem to mind....

Just think of all those bare feet waiting for a "Hello." :pout:
Don't wait...only you can prevent another foot from not being taunted!

:rofl: :roflhard: :chair:

Leah22b
01-09-2007, 12:18 PM

ta muchly

"ta muchly" :roflhard: :roflhard:

I can't believe all of you have staked claim to my Lisa Souza goodies! :shock:

What did you expect... now we all expect a nice pair of Lisa souza socks... :roflhard:

Leah22b
01-09-2007, 12:20 PM

Here is my progress.....

Oh how purdy.... :heart: That is knitting up sooooo nice...
Great job!

Shandeh
01-09-2007, 12:32 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :chair:
I share my day with Kurt Cobain, Kelsey Grammer, Joel Rifkind & Roger Penske...lol So I guess that makes me (a Scruffy funny Serial Killer with speed issues.) :roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard:
I have the exact same birthday (day and year) as Nicholas Cage.
Katie Couric and Kenny Loggins were born January 7th too.

KellyK
01-09-2007, 12:38 PM
OMG, Lili! Those are GAWGEOUS! THANK YOUUUU!!! :hug:

And, SJ... I LOVE that Beryl color. I just picked up some of the same in medium wt when I went to The Fold with Andrea. YUM YUM!

Shandeh
01-09-2007, 12:50 PM
So, Kelly....you're thanking Lily for the privilege of looking at MY socks, right? :teehee:

I did some more knitting on my partner's socks, and have finished the leg on one of them....and am about halfway up the leg of the other.

Here's a photo of the leg I finished:

jcmom
01-09-2007, 12:59 PM
It's so nice to know there are other knitters on this site that are over 30! Happy Birthday!
Maybe not taunting actually is taunting........... :teehee:

Yarngineer
01-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Ooooh, I am solidly over 30. :blooby: :lol:

Jessica
01-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Well since my sock pal is taunting me :teehee: , Im guess I'll taunt my sock partner. Here is your yarn, hehehehe. Gizmo decided to help me by posing in my picutre.

Shandeh
01-09-2007, 01:20 PM
I like the color of that yarn, Jessica! :)

Jenelle
01-09-2007, 01:32 PM

Here is my progress.....

My socks are GORGEOUS! I'm really loving all that green!

Leah22b
01-09-2007, 02:24 PM
So, Kelly....you're thanking Lily for the privilege of looking at MY socks, right? :teehee:

I did some more knitting on my partner's socks, and have finished the leg on one of them....and am about halfway up the leg of the other.

Here's a photo of the leg I finished:

Oh those are soooooooooooo purdy... :heart: I better get knitting... oh boy... You guys are making me nurvous... they are all sooooooooo purdy...

Leah22b
01-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Well since my sock pal is taunting me :teehee: , Im guess I'll taunt my sock partner. Here is your yarn, hehehehe. Gizmo decided to help me by posing in my picutre.

Ohhhhhhhhhh thats pretty now I really can't decide who I want as a partner....lol :teehee: :teehee:

AmandaC
01-09-2007, 02:55 PM

Here is my progress.....

My socks are GORGEOUS! I'm really loving all that green!

no no no no no .... Jenelle :fingerwag: mine I tell you ... mine x-(

Jenelle
01-09-2007, 03:09 PM

x-( :pout:

knitqueen
01-09-2007, 03:28 PM
A question for everyone who cares to answer (that means YOU, partner!! :teehee: )

How does everyone feel about yarn patterning being symmetrical on each sock?? I'm referring to self-striping type yarn - the yarn that I'm using isn't really a stripe, it's much more subtle than that but there is a definite colour repeat, as subtle as it is, and I'm not sure whether I should try to make the two socks identical in that way (it could mean a lot of wasted yarn, depending where I end up on the first sock, because the colour repeats are very long) or if I should just start the second sock where the yarn left off from the first and the colour patterning won't completely line up (or maybe not at all)

When I make socks for myself, I like it if they're different - it adds to the 'handmade' look, I think, but others may feel differently so PLEASE, I need your opinions!

AmandaC
01-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Well I would expect you to unravel the skein to find an identical starting point for both socks :twisted:

only joking - unidentical is fine with me :teehee:

want2knit
01-09-2007, 03:35 PM
my first and only taunt...............

picture doesn't do color justice--it's a much deeper red, almost garnet-like

Jenelle
01-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Knitqueen- Nonidentical is fine with me! :hug:

KellyK
01-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Gizmo decided to help me by posing in my picutre.

Are you trying to say in a very SLY way that these socks are for Howie??? :teehee:

KQ... if the repeat is really OBVIOUS, I try to match them up... if its subtle, like you say, then I wouldnt bother. :shrug:

AmandaC
01-09-2007, 03:41 PM
want2knit .... that is gorge-eeeeeee-ous :heart:

AmandaC
01-09-2007, 03:42 PM
now I need to close this computer and get on with my socks :oops:

Stiney
01-09-2007, 03:48 PM

I thank you both to note that these are my socks, and I claimed them at 10:32 am this morning. The proof is in the pudding, or in this case, the preceding page. (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20679&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1110)

Jessica
01-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Gizmo decided to help me by posing in my picutre.

Are you trying to say in a very SLY way that these socks are for Howie??? :teehee:

KQ... if the repeat is really OBVIOUS, I try to match them up... if its subtle, like you say, then I wouldnt bother. :shrug:

Maybe Howie is my partner, maybe he isnt :teehee: I guess he'll have to wait and see :eyebrow:

AmandaC
01-09-2007, 04:14 PM

I thank you both to note that these are my socks, and I claimed them at 10:32 am this morning. The proof is in the pudding, or in this case, the preceding page. (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20679&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1110)

pah! :!!!: :!!!: :grrr:

Stiney
01-09-2007, 04:15 PM

pah! :!!!: :!!!: :grrr:

Better luck next time. ;) :twisted:

AmandaC
01-09-2007, 04:16 PM
yeah yeah ... rub it in why don't you :grrr:

:teehee: :muah:

Stiney
01-09-2007, 04:20 PM
*rubs*

:muah: :teehee:

sara_jayne
01-09-2007, 04:26 PM
:teehee: You guys are fighting over my socks! :aww:

Jenelle
01-09-2007, 04:28 PM

What if I told you that I have a pair of socks next to me that have penguins on them? :shifty:

Could I then claim the green socks mine? :shifty: :teehee:

Stiney
01-09-2007, 04:29 PM
:pout: :verysad: :gah: :wall:

That's fighting dirty.

earthchick
01-09-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm with KK on yarn pattern symmetry - if it's obvious, I try to match it up, but if it's subtle then it's no biggie to me.

want2knit - great socks!

Okay, I'm trying to upload pics of my pattern and yarn and am having some probs. I checked the file size and it's fine. Anyone else having trouble today?

earthchick
01-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Turns out I had misremembered how wide the pics could be. Trying again...

Jenelle
01-09-2007, 05:05 PM
:pout: :verysad: :gah: :wall:

That's fighting dirty.

I know you want these penguin socks! :teehee:

KellyK
01-09-2007, 05:15 PM
EC.... that is a GORGEOUS pattern! I may have to expand my collection of sockie books!!

earthchick
01-09-2007, 05:19 PM
:cheering: I thought so, too, KK. I :heart: this book - Santa was very good to me this year. :teehee:

[the book also includes a really yummy looking pattern called "Bed Sock in Lemon Pattern Fancy Knit Stripe" - I thought the yarn in the pic was gorgeous and looked it up online. It would cost approximately $95 to make the socks with the cashmere yarn in the book!!!]

Leah22b
01-09-2007, 05:41 PM
A question for everyone who cares to answer (that means YOU, partner!! :teehee: )

How does everyone feel about yarn patterning being symmetrical on each sock?? I'm referring to self-striping type yarn - the yarn that I'm using isn't really a stripe, it's much more subtle than that but there is a definite colour repeat, as subtle as it is, and I'm not sure whether I should try to make the two socks identical in that way (it could mean a lot of wasted yarn, depending where I end up on the first sock, because the colour repeats are very long) or if I should just start the second sock where the yarn left off from the first and the colour patterning won't completely line up (or maybe not at all)

When I make socks for myself, I like it if they're different - it adds to the 'handmade' look, I think, but others may feel differently so PLEASE, I need your opinions!

Not matching is fine with me... :happydance:
I don't match most of the time anyway... :teehee:

Leah22b
01-09-2007, 05:42 PM
my first and only taunt...............

picture doesn't do color justice--it's a much deeper red, almost garnet-like

Ohhhhhh purdy! Purdy... :heart:

Leah22b
01-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Turns out I had misremembered how wide the pics could be. Trying again...

Oh how purdy.... :mrgreen: I'm turning Green with envy for all these socks... how purdy.... :teehee:

I just love what everyone has picked so fare...

Leah22b
01-09-2007, 05:52 PM
:cheering: I thought so, too, KK. I :heart: this book - Santa was very good to me this year. :teehee:

[the book also includes a really yummy looking pattern called "Bed Sock in Lemon Pattern Fancy Knit Stripe" - I thought the yarn in the pic was gorgeous and looked it up online. It would cost approximately $95 to make the socks with the cashmere yarn in the book!!!]

Ok I just chocked on that one... wow... thats more then my very expensive Cashmere hat I made myself last weekend... wow... I bet they would be really soft though...

Yarngineer
01-09-2007, 06:28 PM
I honestly don't mind if my socks don't match. I would rather that you not get stressed out about it (pleasing me and matching) and waste yarn. Just have fun with it! And I don't expect my socks to be spot on perfect. I wish I was perfect! But since I am not, I can't expect it of others. :teehee:

Andrea
01-09-2007, 07:06 PM
I can't keep up....but

:thud: all the pretty colors....

jrsas
01-09-2007, 09:00 PM
One is gone for a day and you have to catch up with 3+ pages... :shrug:

I love the yarn the colors are beautiful and the socks are great. Only an inch to go and I can decrease for the toe. They are looking so pretty. Then onto the next one. :happydance:

The patterns you are using are very pretty. I have the Sensational Socks book and Knitting Vintage Socks book so the next pair will have to be out of one of those. After seeing some of the patterns it is a must. Thanks for the inspiration :notworthy:

thischicknits
01-09-2007, 09:03 PM
WOW - every posted sock looks fabulous! ...and the yarn??? GAH!! It makes me drool.

Earthchick - I totally don't mind non-matching socks. The color way will be consistent and I like the fun of the differences. I think each person has their own feel on this one, thought.

I just finished turning the heel of my first sock - mmmm can't wait to finish! I'll try to post pictures then.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

feminine_earth
01-09-2007, 09:10 PM
knitqueen, I wouldn't mind mismatching socks! I think that adds to their uniqueness! :)

jhelanee
01-09-2007, 09:15 PM
:heart: :heart: Everything looks wonderful so far... I'll take them all! :teehee:

In response to questions posed somewhat recently, I would be fine with either solid, semi-solid or varigated socks. Use whichever works best with your pattern. As for "matching" stripes, I did do this for the couple of distinctly striped yarns I have made socks out of. However with only a subtle pattern and a long colorway I probably wouldn't bother. So don't stress and/or waste a bunch of yarn making them match perfectly for me.

It would be nice to get an anonymous PM or e-mail from my pal so I know someone has me. I am getting lonely out here. :pout:

Friskums
01-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Hmm, I somehow managed to get 43 rows on the backs of my socks and only 38 on the fronts. I'm doing 2 at once on magic loop. I hadn't thought I was messing up, but obviously somethings not right.

The thing that's weird is that there's no holes or gaps to indicate where I skipped the rounds on the front and did the backs more than I should have. :?? :shrug:

Oh well... Wasn't that far into them anyway...

jberry16
01-09-2007, 10:35 PM

Don't go crazy and waste yarn making them exactly the same, when they're different it just makes them look more homemade, and gives them more personality.

cara
01-09-2007, 11:32 PM
no matching is great for me! hehe.

I just Cast on for sock number 1 tonight. it is such a purdy color.... soooo soft. Sigh. I sure hope I have yarn leftovers.. cause I want a pair too!! I will post a picture soon!

Lieke
01-10-2007, 03:30 AM

I wouldn't mind if you just started where you ended. I think you are right, it adds a bit of a handmade look to the socks.

Lieke
01-10-2007, 03:34 AM
I can't keep up....but

:thud: all the pretty colors....

I totally agree with you. I just can't even go to sleep, because when I wake up, there is like 4 new pages. And that's when I came online regularly during the day

Shandeh
01-10-2007, 04:14 AM

Maybe I'm too particular, but I like for them to match up. Sorry if I'm your partner! :pout:

EC.... that is a GORGEOUS pattern! I may have to expand my collection of sockie books!!
I LOVE that book (Knitting Vintage Socks (http://www.interweave.com/knit/books/Vintage_Socks/)). It's my favorite sock pattern book in my collection.

mulene
01-10-2007, 07:40 AM
I am grumpy =( I have been trying to get the "right" design for my sock swap pal and it just has gone wrong each time. I've tried 3 designs from patterns and I don't like how they turned out. So I decided to design my own. Well I spent time with a spreadsheet and graphing out what I wanted to do, carefully marking where to knit where to purl etc - I sat down last night and knitted 40 rows so I would get an idea of what it will look like and it just looks hideous =(

Nothing is turning out how I want it to turn out and time is quickly running out! What to do what to do!

Angelia
01-10-2007, 07:49 AM
:hug: :hug: Mulene!! Are you sure you're not being too hard on yourself? It's easy to do in a swap like this.

KQ, I'm with the majority here re the stripes matching--I wouldn't care at all if the stripes didn't match. (In fact, that's what I find particularly endearing about self-striping yarn!)

mulene
01-10-2007, 07:57 AM
MMm I don't know maybe I am - but I feel like it just isn't happening for me. I came up with what I thought was a good design, but when I had done the 40 rows I wasn't happy with it. The pattern didn't work somehow and it just looked.. well.. not right. I can't explain it just didn't look right. My brother said the same thing when he saw it. "It looks strange though it is correct and it looks like you followed the chart you made properly but it doesn't sit right"

I'm wondering if it would be a total cop out to make 'plain' socks =P

As for the stripes matching - I'm fine with them not matching, its very hard to get them to match. I have one pair that does match - it was a shock they turned out to match and it was sheer luck. I don't even mind if I get one sock one colour and the other sock a completely different colour. The only one who sees them is me =D

Shandeh
01-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Mulene, I was going to suggest just that! If you make a plain sock, and use beautiful yarn, it will STILL be loved by your recipient! (I think that plain socks are warmer and more comfortable, anyway.)
:heart:

five_six
01-10-2007, 08:31 AM
I don't even mind if I get one sock one colour and the other sock a completely different colour. The only one who sees them is me =D

:roflhard: And your worried about what your socks are going to turn out like. Maybe you should take a leaf out of your book, and apply that self same logic to your swappee, i'm sure they will be happy to get whatever you have poured so much effort into. :hug:

And just in case the striping question was for me, and i'm the only one who hasn't responded, stripe away, in any old fashion :cheering: I will love it.

five_six
01-10-2007, 08:32 AM
i always seem to post just as someone else is posting... so

SNAP

Angelia
01-10-2007, 08:38 AM
Mulene, if the yarn is variegated in some way, let it speak for itself--it won't be 'plain'! :hug:

Lieke
01-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Mulene, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. Like everyone said, everyone will just love the effort you've put into it. (at least, I will)

JLC
01-10-2007, 09:51 AM
I spent a ton of time last night going through patterns with the yarn in front of me and I'm having a hard time finding one. I think I settled on one, but I'm still unsure. :pout:

Friskums
01-10-2007, 10:15 AM
I don't even mind if I get one sock one colour and the other sock a completely different colour. The only one who sees them is me =D
I drive my boyfriend nuts because I regularly wear socks that don't match in color. :rofl: :rofl:

mulene
01-10-2007, 11:15 AM
:teehee: I figure well... I don't have a BF atm, no one sees my socks inside my nice wintery boots so... I don't mind ;)

I feel a bit better about this now. I was frustrated that what I wanted to do was just not going to work. I now have another idea :happydance: lets see if I can make this one work!

cara
01-10-2007, 11:26 AM
"

I sure hope not because my partner is getting 'plain' socks with K2P2 ribbing on the cuff and top of foot... it is my first pair of socks ever so I want to keep the knitting as simple as possible so I can focus on the heel etc! I am using purdy yarn though!!! I traded in the 100% alpaca as I decided it would be too warm and not wear well...plus MY partner wanted something 'soft and fuzzy' (hint hint to whoever you are!) and so now she is getting just that!! SRK Candy Floss yarn which is 20% mohair.. in a purrrrty cotton candy pink!!!!

sorry if it is 'too plain' for you partner!! :pout:

Friskums
01-10-2007, 11:34 AM
no one sees my socks inside my nice wintery boots so... I don't mind ;)

That's my mentality too. No one really sees them so who cares? :shrug:

Course, now I live with someone who does see them and who does care. It's not my fault society has such a firm grip on his mind he can't break away from the sock-conformists... :rofl: :teehee: :rofl:

mulene
01-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Cara! Don't worry =D

I think the reason I fretted a little was that I got someone who said "don't mind I'll see the creativity of my partner" but its silly really because I put the same thing and I'd be happy with any socks at all =D I just love hand knitted socksies and to hell with buying socks again ever! I just am a bit disappointed as this is my first proper attempt at designing something and I was frustrated that it wasn't as easy as it looked!

knitqueen
01-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Anyone know German??? This is what it says on my ballband:

-waschmaschinenfest (I assume that means machine washable)
-garantiert filzfrei
-extra strapazierfahig

Translation??

mulene
01-10-2007, 11:53 AM

-garantiert filzfrei
-extra strapazierfahig

Translation??

Machine Washable

Guaranteed not to felt?

colourfast?

Stiney
01-10-2007, 11:58 AM

-garantiert filzfrei
-extra strapazierfahig

Translation??

You're knitting me Austermen Step socks? Oh, KQ, how kind of you!

knitqueen
01-10-2007, 11:58 AM

-garantiert filzfrei
-extra strapazierfahig

Translation??

You're knitting me Austermen Step socks? Oh, KQ, how kind of you!

Nope, Lana Grossa :muah: :teehee:

mwedzi
01-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Cara! Don't worry =D

I think the reason I fretted a little was that I got someone who said "don't mind I'll see the creativity of my partner" but its silly really because I put the same thing and I'd be happy with any socks at all =D I just love hand knitted socksies and to hell with buying socks again ever! I just am a bit disappointed as this is my first proper attempt at designing something and I was frustrated that it wasn't as easy as it looked!

I wonder if it didn't look right because of the differences in stitch height vs. stitch width. This is why someone online made special knitting graph paper (do a google search for it). You plug in your stitch and row gauge and it gives you graph paper looks like your knitting. Regular graph paper just has squares, and so your knitting doesn't turn out how you would expect if you just use regular graph paper.

As for the sock matching up, I do prefer my socks to match up, but if it's really subtle, like for example the Lana Grossa Mega Boots Stretch, I wouldn't bother because you'd waste too much yarn trying to get the pattern to match up.

Stiney
01-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Mulene, I'd try again after the sqap with mwedzi's suggestions, and play around with different yarn and needle sizes, too. It could be something silly like that, if the squares/rectangles thing isn't the only problem.

Liliyarn
01-10-2007, 12:32 PM
mulene -

Don't stress. I was doing that too. So, I finally picked a pattern and stuck with it.

I am actually very happy with the result. However, if you get stuck again...try something semi simple. Jaywalkers look nice in pretty much any yarn.

Best of luck...and get knitting there young lady! :teehee:

Yarngineer
01-10-2007, 12:50 PM
no one sees my socks inside my nice wintery boots so... I don't mind ;)

That's my mentality too. No one really sees them so who cares? :shrug:

Course, now I live with someone who does see them and who does care. It's not my fault society has such a firm grip on his mind he can't break away from the sock-conformists... :rofl: :teehee: :rofl:

Rebel against sock conformity! Viva la media loca!

Secksiebrat
01-10-2007, 01:03 PM
I would like to go on record and say that if my swap pattern does NOT like the socks I'm making, I will take no offense and she may feel free to send them back to me. I'd be willing to cut my toes off just to wear them (her feet are smaller than mine). :teehee:

I abosolutely LOVE this yarn and the way it's knitting up. I'm jealous of my partner and she doesn't even know it! :)

~danielle~ :roflhard:

KellyK
01-10-2007, 02:03 PM

NO! Wasch-Machinen-Fest! That's the traditional German festival of the washing machine that is celebrated in Munich every year not too long after Oktoberfest!

Didnt you know it was a German who invented the modern-day washing machine??

You may not have heard of it because its a less social holiday... people generally stay in, drinking bier while sitting on top of their machines during the spin cycle... :woohoo:

Lieke
01-10-2007, 02:11 PM
:roflhard:

Stiney
01-10-2007, 02:23 PM

NO! Wasch-Machinen-Fest! That's the traditional German festival of the washing machine that is celebrated in Munich every year not too long after Oktoberfest!

You may not have heard of it because its a less social holiday... people generally stay in, drinking bier while sitting on top of their machines during the spin cycle... :woohoo:

They drink coffin stands? :??

mulene
01-10-2007, 02:33 PM
I wonder if it didn't look right because of the differences in stitch height vs. stitch width. This is why someone online made special knitting graph paper (do a google search for it). You plug in your stitch and row gauge and it gives you graph paper looks like your knitting. Regular graph paper just has squares, and so your knitting doesn't turn out how you would expect if you just use regular graph paper.

As for the sock matching up, I do prefer my socks to match up, but if it's really subtle, like for example the Lana Grossa Mega Boots Stretch, I wouldn't bother because you'd waste too much yarn trying to get the pattern to match up.

You know you could be right. I did try the knitters graph paper but I wasn't sure of the spi/rpi and it seemed to give me TINY paper to print. I guess I need to play around with it more. =D

Thanks all for the encouragement / tips :muah:

Liliyarn
01-10-2007, 02:38 PM

Okay the scary thing that I wanna know is how long did it take for you to think that one up? Either way...you're spooky girl.... :oo:

Friskums
01-10-2007, 02:47 PM
I would like to go on record and say that if my swap pattern does NOT like the socks I'm making, I will take no offense and she may feel free to send them back to me. I'd be willing to cut my toes off just to wear them (her feet are smaller than mine). :teehee:

I abosolutely LOVE this yarn and the way it's knitting up. I'm jealous of my partner and she doesn't even know it! :)

~danielle~ :roflhard:
Hmm, wonder if this is me... I have midget feet. :rofl: :rofl:

jolenel
01-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Just to put in my two cents, I do NOT have the patience to make socks that are knit in self-striping yarn match exactly, and I wouldn't expect to receive matching socks! Heck, when I'm making socks for myself, I even have to really push myself to make parts like heels and toes match...it would be a pretty telling test of yarn strength to wear a pair with different heels and find out which one wears out first, right? :teehee:

The person I'm knitting for doesn't have my shoe size but has the same foot size as my roommate. I tried to try on the half-finished first sock, and I've never been so happy that a sock DIDN'T fit before!

monzogary
01-10-2007, 03:17 PM
I finally have a teaser for my pal! I finished the first sock, and have to start on the next now. The pattern is Knitty's Hedera and the yarn is some that I Kool Aid dyed that I call Strawberries.

jberry16
01-10-2007, 03:37 PM
that sock is soooooooooo purty, can't wait to try it on my feet. :teehee:

Yarngineer
01-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Monzogary, that sock looks way cool! :drool:

I didn't want to downsize the photo of my sock, but you can see it on my post today at my blog!

SandraEllen
01-10-2007, 04:04 PM
:cheering: :cheering: I'm seeing so many socks that i would love to have!!! :cheering: :cheering:

cara
01-10-2007, 04:57 PM
I didn't want to downsize the photo of my sock, but you can see it on my post today at my blog!

those must be MY socks cause they look toasty warm!!! and ohhhhh the color! soooooooo lovely! hehehe.

Yarngineer
01-10-2007, 06:08 PM
Thank you so much. I hope to do some monkeys for myself after this swap.

jess_hawk
01-10-2007, 07:13 PM
OK I'm not in the swap so I just want to point out that my opinion doesn't matter in this case, but I wanted to make a case for those of us who must have matching socks. If the socks have full stripes such as those caused by really long variegations (not the short ones that end up not really stripes but kind of long spots)... I would go nuts having them not match. I think I'm a little OCD about things like that. I don't clean the house but dangit if I have colored socks they'd better match!
I don't mind seeing other people wearing them, though. Unless I were to get stuck in a room with that person (wearing the non-matching stripes)... then it would be distracting and I would drive myself nuts.
This is why I only own single-color yarns.

jberry16
01-10-2007, 08:20 PM
OK I'm not in the swap so I just want to point out that my opinion doesn't matter in this case, but I wanted to make a case for those of us who must have matching socks. If the socks have full stripes such as those caused by really long variegations (not the short ones that end up not really stripes but kind of long spots)... I would go nuts having them not match. I think I'm a little OCD about things like that. I don't clean the house but dangit if I have colored socks they'd better match!
I don't mind seeing other people wearing them, though. Unless I were to get stuck in a room with that person (wearing the non-matching stripes)... then it would be distracting and I would drive myself nuts.
This is why I only own single-color yarns. :doh:

knitqueen
01-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Thanks for everyone's answers about the striping -- really if you could actually SEE my sock so far you'd know why I'm conflicted and you'd understand exactly how subtle the changes are - it's all within the same familiy of colour except for one of the repeats which is why I haven't been sure. But I'm not gonna post pics of my socks in progress so you'll all just have to wait!! :teehee:

Another question:

How do you measure?? I'm doing the usual heel flap type sock and I'm getting close to the toe but I'm having a hard time knowing how to measure for someone other than myself. When I make socks for myself, I just try them on and when I get to the toe I start doing decreases. But when I lay the sock flat to measure, the back of the heel goes at a bit of an angle so if I measured close to the bottom of the sock to the bottom of the heel I'd get a much smaller measurement than if I measured halfway up the foot to the back of the heel. Know what I mean??

Friskums
01-10-2007, 09:04 PM
How do you measure??

I've been wondering this too. I'm doing toe up socks, and have the length of my pal's foot (as we all do), but I'm not sure at what point I should start the heel. :?? :shrug:

jberry16
01-10-2007, 09:21 PM
I was gonna measure from the first row of where the heel is turned b/c that's the bottom most part and if the socks are a teeny bit too long it's better than having them too short, imho.
Anyone else? is this right?

Andrea
01-10-2007, 09:29 PM
I wanna be on Kelly's Balderdash team!!! :cheering: :roflhard:

Angelia
01-10-2007, 09:45 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Such loverly loverly socks being knit, folks!!! WOW!!! :thud:

I've just finished felting dh's clogs (so very sick of clogs :help:). Now I can start my partner's socks--in fact, I'm devoting all of tomorrow to them! :woohoo:

Andrea
01-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Thanks, Ang :muah: for spending your whole day knitting for me :hug:

I am so very close to turning the heel on sqck 1 it's not even :!!!: funny!

:cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

Dilly
01-10-2007, 10:31 PM
After a bit of frogging, and a bit of swearing, I managed to get the heel of my first sock finished. I'm on the foot now. I always have trouble with picking up the gusset stitches. Whoever I am knitting for (do you know who you are?:shifty:) please don't examine your sock gussets closely! :help:

five_six
01-10-2007, 11:04 PM
After a bit of frogging, and a bit of swearing, I managed to get the heel of my first sock finished. I'm on the foot now. I always have trouble with picking up the gusset stitches. Whoever I am knitting for (do you know who you are?:shifty:) please don't examine your sock gussets closely! :help:

oh, don't you worry, i'll be getting out my magnifying glass for inspection :roflhard:

Angelia
01-10-2007, 11:07 PM
:teehee: Dee!!

Andrea, unrelated to the sqap, I DO have a pair of socks planned for you!

KellyK
01-11-2007, 01:02 AM

I RAWK!!!! :woot:

catownedanna
01-11-2007, 03:35 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Jag är här och spionerar igen" = "I'm here spying again"
_____

-garantiert filzfrei
-extra strapazierfahig

Translation??

I don't see you getting a proper translation of extra strapazierfahig. I can't really find one proper word for it but it means that the socks hold up extra well with wear. They are "extra wear-resistant". Did that make sense? :?? Hope so!

Shandeh
01-11-2007, 04:38 AM
I'm jealous of my partner and she doesn't even know it! :)
I'm jealous of my partner too, because the yarn I'm using feels like HEAVEN. Plus, I'm being EXTRA careful with my knitting, because I want them to be perfect. I'm a lot more laid back with my own socks.

mulene
01-11-2007, 08:56 AM
aha Hardwearing!

Lieke
01-11-2007, 09:22 AM
I'm jealous of my partner and she doesn't even know it! :)
I'm jealous of my partner too, because the yarn I'm using feels like HEAVEN. Plus, I'm being EXTRA careful with my knitting, because I want them to be perfect. I'm a lot more laid back with my own socks.

I know what you mean. I'm also extra careful with my partner's socks. I'm knitting stripes, and when they would've been for me, I would leave loops inside the socks, in stead of weaving in all the ends, but that feels wrong to do for my partner, so now I'm going to weave in all the ends, which I really hate.

five_six
01-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Oh Lieke, but I will love them extra long and hard, knowing what effort you put into them for me... even doing something you hate. Wow!! Your too special :hug:

Yarngineer
01-11-2007, 11:32 AM
I know what y'all mean. I have to keep frogging back, more than I usually would. Fussing so much.....

:wall: :doh:

knottydaisy
01-11-2007, 02:23 PM
I have gotten a bunch of sock yarn but I have yet to a) choose a yarn b) choose a pattern or c) cast on. But don't worry, I can be a fast knitter once I get going :-)

Here is the pattern that is currently in the top spot

http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2006/09/bayerische_sock_part_ii.html

I have Lang Jawoll yarn in green, not sure if it's the same shade as the original sock. I might get a different color if I find reason to believe that my partner would prefer something other than green :muah:

My second choice would be a simple pattern with some Lisa Souza that I have in my stash.

I can't wait to look for some goodies to include with my package!!!

Also, thanks to the person that got me. I got your email, and then lost it when I rebuilt my computer last week so I don't want you to think I ignored you, whoever you are! :muah:

mwedzi
01-11-2007, 04:02 PM
I have gotten a bunch of sock yarn but I have yet to a) choose a yarn b) choose a pattern or c) cast on. But don't worry, I can be a fast knitter once I get going :-)

Those socks are great!

I've only done the cuff of one sock so far. So behind.

knitqueen
01-11-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm read to graft the toe of sock #1 :woot: And, if I might say so myself, it's GORGEOUS!!!

Angelia
01-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Yay KQ!!! :cheering: :cheering:

The Bayerische sock is on my to-do list--I LOVE it!!!

thischicknits
01-11-2007, 05:31 PM
To Kelly -
Thanks for the help in fixing my sock oops last night - :hug: to you!
M

cara
01-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Wow Knotty Daisy... that sock is stunning!! I am no where near knitting to that standard! Crazy Crazy Crazy!

all you super pro knitters out there amaze me! :notworthy:

knottydaisy
01-11-2007, 08:54 PM
I did NOT knit the sock in the picture! Just wanted to clarify that.

But here is another option - the Wyvern socks(link in my siggy) I'm 2/3 finished with a pair for my niece but I didn't want to do the same thing twice in a row :)

Angelia
01-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Oooh, yes, I love those!! And the practice will certainly be nice! :teehee:

KellyK
01-11-2007, 09:28 PM
OMG both of those sock patterns are TO DIE FORRRRR!!!!! :inlove:

jrsas
01-11-2007, 09:35 PM
All the socks look and sound great. I can't wait. I will be happy with whatever comes in the mail. Just to think someone else made them especially for me!! :happydance:

My swap pal socks are coming along slowly as I have been working 12 hours a day and am tired when I get home. I try to knit at least two rounds in the morning before work. Hopefully this pace won't last too long. :shrug:

jberry16
01-11-2007, 09:57 PM

those are some amazing socks! I'd :heart: to have those, but for some reason I have a mental block against chart reading for cables :shrug:

JLC
01-11-2007, 10:08 PM

I have Lang Jawoll yarn in green, not sure if it's the same shade as the original sock. I might get a different color if I find reason to believe that my partner would prefer something other than green :muah:

My second choice would be a simple pattern with some Lisa Souza that I have in my stash.

I can't wait to look for some goodies to include with my package!!!

Also, thanks to the person that got me. I got your email, and then lost it when I rebuilt my computer last week so I don't want you to think I ignored you, whoever you are! :muah:

I :heart: that pattern. I have some knitpicks Gloss that I may use for that...eventually.

Shandeh
01-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Poor Jackie! :heart: I hope work gets better soon.

Lieke
01-12-2007, 03:57 AM
I'm almost at the point of turning the heel :cheering: (only 4 rows to go, according to my pattern)

Angelia
01-12-2007, 07:51 AM
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Lieke
01-12-2007, 08:01 AM
okay, somehow I managed to mess up, so I frogged the whole heel again. :doh: I managed to have 3 wrapped stiches left and 5 right, so somehowe I forgot to knit a stich at the right, or forgot to wrap a stich at the left. Don't know how that happened.

goodbye time I already didn't have :pout:

and of course I never use a life line, but fortunately I did manage to get the stiches back on the needles, only dropping 3 stiches, but I was able to fix that.

I'm not happy :verysad:

Angelia
01-12-2007, 08:16 AM
:hug: :hug: :hug: Lieke!!

At least the heel flaps are relatively quick to re-knit; you're not having to knit the entire sock, just half of it!

It would never occur to me, either, to put a lifeline in before the heel flap.

Dilly
01-12-2007, 08:27 AM
I got my socks in the mail yesterday! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

I don't have a picture just yet (won't have one until tonight) but they are pink, squishy, cozy, thick ankle socks that are perfect for keeping feet warm during a cold Canadian winter.

And I'm not gonna say who knit them for me. :shifty: I don't want to take anybody out of the running as potential sock swap partners, since nobody else has their socks yet. :teehee:

AmandaC
01-12-2007, 08:29 AM
I did the heel flap, turned the heel, picked up stitches and started gusset decreases last night on sock 1 .... I feel relief to know I am half done on the 1st one .... the task of knitting a PAIR of socks doesn't seem as daunting know.

AmandaC
01-12-2007, 08:30 AM
I got my socks in the mail yesterday! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

I don't have a picture just yet (won't have one until tonight) but they are pink, squishy, cozy, thick ankle socks that are perfect for keeping feet warm during a cold Canadian winter.

And I'm not gonna say who knit them for me. :shifty: I don't want to take anybody out of the running as potential sock swap partners, since nobody else has their socks yet. :teehee:

now I feel slow!!! :teehee:

Dilly
01-12-2007, 08:32 AM

Me too. I'm not even done my first sock yet! :shock:

Lieke
01-12-2007, 09:21 AM
:hug: :hug: :hug: Lieke!!

At least the heel flaps are relatively quick to re-knit; you're not having to knit the entire sock, just half of it!

It would never occur to me, either, to put a lifeline in before the heel flap.

Well, I'm doing a short-row heel, so that's even less work (fortunately) but it did cost me almost an hour, which is much if you're already short on time. I think I'll try again tomorrow, no knitting time left for today.

same with me. I already felt slow, but knowing someone already finished her socks (and knowing I probably won't make it to have them at my partner's place before feb. 14) makes me feel even slower. Hope my swap-partner will understand.