PDA

View Full Version : A scarf like this.

candicane
11-07-2006, 03:37 PM
I want to knit a scarf like this. I will only be using one color. I think it is somehow knit on the bias, but it has straight edged ends. Anyone know how to do this? I have already looked at knittingpatterncentral.

I saw a sample at the LYS and it was really nice and drapey, but they were out of the pattern. (Blue Sky Alpacas Pattern).

Thanks,
Candice

janelanespaintbrush
11-07-2006, 03:40 PM
This one (www.catalinayarns.com/pages/patternsupport/freepatterns/november05free.pdf) maybe? (Warning: it goes directly to a PDF download.)

candicane
11-07-2006, 03:44 PM
That is pretty, but not quite what I am looking for. THe Blue Sky Alpaca scarf was just garter stitch (if I remember correctly). Bookmarking the jute pattern though!

Candice

suzeeq
11-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Try this -

Cast on 2 sts, kfb both sts. (alt - CO 1, kfb - see which works better)
next row, k across
next row - kfb, k to last st. Repeat these 2 rows until you get the width you want the scarf to be ending with the knit row. The width is measured from your cast on sts up one side, *not* across the sts on the needle.

next row - kfb, knit to last 2 sts, k2tog. knit next row. Repeat these two rows until it's as long as you want; that's be easy to measure at that point.

next row - ssk (or BO 1 st) knit to last 2 sts, k2tog. knit next row. Repeat rows until there's 2 sts left - k2tog.

It's easy to do and you get squared off ends.

sue

candicane
11-08-2006, 09:36 AM
Thank you! I am going to try it tonight with my new wool from 100purewool!

Candice

suzeeq
11-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Ooops. I reread my directions and noticed I wrote:

next row, k across
next row - kfb, k to last st.
sue

That should read, `kfb, k to last st, kfb'. You'll want to be increasing on both ends of the row until you get to the width you want.

It was late when I posted and I'd had a looooooong last half hour at work.

sue

candicane
11-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the correction. So it should read like this?

Row 1: Cast on 2 sts, kfb both sts. (alt - CO 1, kfb - see which works better)
Row 2: k across
Row 3: kfb, k to last st, kfb

Repeat these 2 rows until you get the width you want the scarf to be ending with the knit row. The width is measured from your cast on sts up one side, *not* across the sts on the needle.

next row - ssk (or BO 1 st) knit to last 2 sts, k2tog. knit next row. Repeat rows until there's 2 sts left - k2tog.

suzeeq
11-08-2006, 03:01 PM
You forgot a step -

When it's wide enough,

kfb, knit to last 2 sts, k2tog. knit next row.
Repeat these two rows until it's as long as you want; that's be easy to measure at that point.

Then you'd do the part where you're decreasing on both ends -

ssk (or BO 1 st) knit to last 2 sts, k2tog. knit next row. Repeat rows until there's 2 sts left - k2tog.

sue

candicane
11-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Sue,

You're a genius! I started this morning and I think it looks nice!

Candice

gardenmommy
11-09-2006, 03:09 PM
Gorgeous! What yarn is that?

candicane
11-09-2006, 03:19 PM
It is 100purewool from Uruguay. Colorway is called Clay.

suzeeq
11-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Kewl! Glad it's working out for you.

sue

Jan in CA
11-09-2006, 03:39 PM
I love the pattern, but I'm confused by all the corrections and additions. Can someone repost it correctly so I can try it?

suzeeq
11-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Okay....

next row, k across
next row - kfb, k to last st, kfb.

Repeat these 2 rows until you get the width you want the scarf to be ending with the knit row. The width is measured from your cast on sts up one side, *not* across the sts on the needle.

next row - kfb, knit to last 2 sts, k2tog. knit next row.

Repeat these two rows until it's as long as you want; that's be easy to measure at that point.

sue

Jan in CA
11-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Thank you very much, Sue! :hug:

candicane
11-10-2006, 09:56 AM
Hi Sue,

I want to make the scarf into a "keyhole" scarf, with a vertical slit to pull the one end through. I can figure out that this can be accomplished by dividing the number of stitches on the needle in half and working each side separtely for a few inches and then rejoing.

My question is after I divide, should I work the pattern of kfb, k to last st, kfb on each side of the divide?

Thanks,
candice

suzeeq
11-10-2006, 11:28 AM
You would do the kfb incs only on the beginning and end of the row, not where you divide for the slit. Hey, good job, thinking up variations!

sue

candicane
11-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Sue,

I bet you are hoping I'll go away already with all my questions. I started the divide on the scarf and because I increase at the beginning of the row and decrease at the end, the slit in the scarf slants and I don't end up with the same number of stitches on the sides of the divide... every increase/decrease row there is one more in the first section. The slant would not be bad, except that it slants opposite of the "grain" of the scarf.

So, either I am doing something wrong, or the vertical slit is not a good idea. Maybe I should just bind off some stitches in the middle for 2 rows and then cast that many back on.

Suggestions?

candice

suzeeq
11-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Ooooh, I hadn't thought of that! I guess you'll have to inc at the beg of the row, dec at the split, inc the other side of the split and dec at the end of the row to keep the number of stitches equal on both sides. Sorry about that, didn't think it through all the way.

sue

candicane
11-13-2006, 02:47 PM
I'll give that a try and see how it looks. The rest of the scarf looks really pretty!

candice

mulene
11-14-2006, 08:30 AM
Is KFB knit in the front and the back? Just checking ;) I love the look of this scarf!

suzeeq
11-14-2006, 01:59 PM
Is KFB knit in the front and the back? Just checking ;) I love the look of this scarf!

Yes, you got it! It's very easy to do.

sue