PDA

View Full Version : Do you miss your gifts?

Nikki
11-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Last night I started the heel of the second sock. These are almost knee socks knitted in navy Koigu. I've been working on the pattern and length for what seems like months. It travels with me and I do a bit here and there when I can. When the socks are done they go to my wonderful DIL and you know what? I'm going to miss them.

rebecca
11-08-2006, 11:04 AM
I understand, I feel exactly the same way! I always wonder if they are being worn/used and taken care of properly once I release the FOs into the wild :teehee:

punkhippiemom
11-08-2006, 11:20 AM
I make stuff for other people and then have to resist the urge to keep it for myself... but when I see it being worn and used (sadly, doesn't happen too often :verysad: ) it's an amazingly good feeling.

moon
11-08-2006, 11:39 AM
So far everything I've made and given away I haven't been crazy about. They turned out well but it wasn't hard to part with.

However I'm making some gloves for a friend and I'm in love with them. The yarn is so warm and soft.

I think as I get better at picking out patterns and yarn I'm going to become more attached to my projects.

mulene
11-08-2006, 11:48 AM
I wish I could wear alpaca - it feels so soft in the palms of my hands, however as soon as it touches the tops or my arms or my neck or my face it itches like crazy. It is Plymouth Indecita Alpaca. It is a pretty boring colour, a plain ole navy blue but it is gradually working its way into being an Irish Hiking Scarf. I made a mistake around one of the cable crossings and it doesn't really show. When I noticed it and I was several inches up past that point I cursed.

My mother reminded me, in the Middle East those wonderful rugs that people buy all have a deliberate mistake in them. The reason is that "only Allah is perfect" so they deliberately make a mistake. When I give the completed Irish Hiking scarf to my boss for Christmas, I'll be including a little note that says "there is a mistake in this scarf, it is deliberate, because only God is perfect" and the washing instructions. Hope he likes it because if it didn't itch me I'd keep it - I love it =D

CarmenIbanez
11-08-2006, 12:20 PM
I think of my FOs often. Are they being loved and appreciated. I think of them like the appliances in "The Brave Little Toaster". Sitting alone somewhere wondering if they'll get to go out into the world today. :teehee:

Nikki
11-09-2006, 09:37 AM
:muah: Good then, it's not just me. Yesterday I was babysitting for my oldest son and I sort of looked around for his socks thinking that if they were just hanging out somewhere I might hand wash them for him. They weren't. I'm afraid they are still on his feet. I gave him a small bottle of Euclan (sp?) with the socks and explained the cleaning process.

I don't know why I feel so protective of socks

knit-errant
11-09-2006, 11:00 AM
I tend to -- especially of the jewelry I make! I always feel like I'm leaving a friend at the post office or somebody's house or something when I sell/gift something.

I took a hiatus from custom work for a long time, but a couple of weeks ago, I made a tiara, necklace, and earrings for a wedding. I hated to give them up because I was so happy with how they came out! I even kind of secretly hoped the bride wouldn't like them so I could keep them for myself. :oops:

nonny2t
11-09-2006, 11:14 AM
I have so much fun knitting for other people that I guess it doesn't bother me to give it away. I am not an accomplished knitter like most of you and though I probably could do more advanced things I keep it pretty simple. I have only used circs once and dpn's once for a pair of mitten for my grandson last year. I have seen here where other people stress out over how perfect it is. The truth is, I feel if you are giving a gift to someone you actually have to worry about whether they will find fault with it once it has been given to them, why bother? Perfection is left to God and only him so I feel I do my best, do it with love, give it with love and just let it go, so long story short, nope I don't miss anything I make.

AnreeAce
11-09-2006, 12:38 PM
I made a scarf for my mom that I just fell in love with. I did feel quite a pang when I wrapped it up to give to her, but the look on her face when she opened the package just made me so happy, I couldn't be sad for long.

When I went to see her yesterday she had it with her, and she told me that the compliments were most salutary.

So yeah, a little tough to give it away right at first, but one of the best gifts I've ever given her.

aineepooh1
11-09-2006, 02:34 PM
i have only knitted a few things mostly scarves . i have knit a few hats and have yet to give one away. I am working on one to give away right now but it doesn't bother me too much because I always enjoy the knittingh and I only knit what I want to knit.. and I give it away to people I love!! :heart: :heart:

stitchwitch
11-09-2006, 03:11 PM
I haven't grown attached to anything I've knitted but my other hobbie is plant propagation and I've had a hard time giving away something I've grown for months or years. Today I sent a Plumeria with my husband to give to a friend. I sent care instructions and pictures of the plant in it's adult stage. I actually feel sad seeing it leave and hope it's future is good. :teehee:

VickiIL
11-09-2006, 04:20 PM
My mother reminded me, in the Middle East those wonderful rugs that people buy all have a deliberate mistake in them. The reason is that "only Allah is perfect" so they deliberately make a mistake. When I give the completed Irish Hiking scarf to my boss for Christmas, I'll be including a little note that says "there is a mistake in this scarf, it is deliberate, because only God is perfect" and the washing instructions. Hope he likes it because if it didn't itch me I'd keep it - I love it =D

I can't say for sure that this is true, but I have heard that the Amish also do this in their quilts and other hand crafted items. They say it is to avoid becoming "too proud" in their work.

Pink Dandelion
11-09-2006, 07:52 PM
My mother reminded me, in the Middle East those wonderful rugs that people buy all have a deliberate mistake in them. The reason is that "only Allah is perfect" so they deliberately make a mistake.

I can't say for sure that this is true, but I have heard that the Amish also do this in their quilts and other hand crafted items. They say it is to avoid becoming "too proud" in their work.

I'm always tempted to go searching items like this for 'that one mistake' :teehee:

For me it's not too hard to give away knitted things... I almost always know right where the knitted item is going before I even cast on, and that if I just REALLY love the item, that I can make one for myself another time.

I also only ever give to people that I know will appreciate the item and use it, and I almost always hear later that "I wore the [insert gift] you gave me the other day and someone said [insert nice compliment]" sort of thing.

I guess I'm less protective of my work than some when it comes to how carefully they'll be treated (as long as they don't get shrunk of course!) I try to make most of my gift items out of washable fibers, either superwash or other, or else it's something that doesn't need washed often or at all. When ever I hear of or see the item being treated rough I'm just glad that they're enjoying the present rather than it sitting in perfect condition in their closet!

ecuzzacrea
11-09-2006, 08:39 PM
I've never gifted any knitted item, but I'm currently working on scarf for my mother in law. It's turning out so beautiful that I know I won't want to give it up. :oops:

But, the bright side is that I KNOW she'll wear it often. :cheering:

Ingrid
11-09-2006, 10:47 PM
When I make something intended for someone else that I fall in love with, I remind myself that I can have the pleasure of making another one for me if need be.