PDA

View Full Version : Designing Knits

CarmenIbanez
11-08-2006, 12:41 PM
So I have caught the designing bug and I wanted to ask any knit designers out there:

1. Do you sketch at all? If so, do you know of any good books on design drawing?

2. Do you try to write a rudimentary idea for a pattern first, or do you just start knitting away?

3. How do you choose fibers/needles, etc?

4. Are you inspired by the materials (a certain yarn) or by an idea for a finished product?

I realize there are no right answers to these, but I am curious what other people experience during the design process.

rebecca
11-08-2006, 02:12 PM
I have no tried and true method for anything! I've not done that many designs, but I can tell you what I do.

I often sketch before I put needles to yarn...lol, my sketches leave a LOT to be desired! This kind of helps me in getting the design that I envision from my brain to the fingers :wink:
I just start knitting, then frogging, tinking and re-knitting. I try this or that design over and over until I hit the st pattern, design, etc that makes me say :figureditout: "That's It!"
I choose yarn and needles sometimes thru experimentation and sometimes the yarn (Malabrigo, for example!) inspires me.
Inspiration comes from different areas, sometimes yarn, sometimes I see a st pattern in a garment that makes me say..."That would make great socks!" there is no "one" inspiring thing...everything is inspiring...garments in stores, yarn, magazines...everything!
I remember when I wanted to knit a pair of socks with loops on them that I saw in our yarn shop, I asked the owner and she said she didn't have the pattern in stock, but I could just crochet the loops on the socks. LOL, I said...."What?! Crochet?! I don't think so!" and I was looking thru a book that I have at home, Folk Bags (http://www.amazon.com/Folk-Bags-Knitting-Patterns-Around/dp/193149925X/sr=1-1/qid=1163009290/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-5318753-7065660?ie=UTF8&s=books) and I saw a bag that had loops on it...I then read over the pattern over and over and Loopy Socks (http://www.knitpicks.com/projects/itemid_50395220/projects_display.aspx) were born...my 2nd design.
Then, there was early last year my sister asked me to knit a scarf for her that would go with her ski jacket that has a leopard collar...I was like, "What?!" and after experimentation the Leopard Scarf (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2005%20a%20few%20KNITTING%20projects/IM000066.jpg) came about...my 1st ever design (that I want to redo and knit correctly :wink:), so, you see...inspiration comes from everywhere.
GO FOR IT :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

CarmenIbanez
11-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the inspiration. Like I have said in many posts before, I never thought of myself as creative. Maybe I just found my medium. I have always wanted to have an "artistic side" and am happy that I am willing to give it a go!

rebecca
11-08-2006, 03:41 PM
:cheering: :cheering: Me, too...I'm happy that you are ready to go for it! You are going to find that it's fun and that the Design Bug bites quite often :wink:

Calamintha
11-08-2006, 04:51 PM
I usually do some rudimentary sketches just to get an idea of proportions but the most important tools for me are the Barbara Walker stitch treasury books.