PDA

View Full Version : splurge or not to splurge?

XbelovedXoneX
11-08-2006, 12:43 PM
So I've been craving to cast on for the Branching Out scarf finally. I've only had the skein of KP Elegance forEVER! :teehee: I'm thinking it may be a christmas present for my mom. Anyways, since my Denise 8s are occupied I've been daydreaming about picking up a pair of Lantern Moon Rosewoods... I fell in love with them when using them at this "yarn tasting" event a LYS near me had. But $20 for a pair of needles?? My husband might have a fit! Or is there another brand that is comparable?

CarmenIbanez
11-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Okay, I am on a total budget, so maybe it is the self restraint that is clouding my judgement, but WHY NOT? :teehee:

I constantly think of all the money that people spend on wasteful stuff. Knitting is such a great hobby because you actually make useful stuff! :-) I say go for it.

VictoiseC
11-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Don't know if this is 'cheating' but Clara over at Knitter's Forum does an excellent review on these and I just read the whole story about how Lantern Moon needles came about, quite impressive.

I just spent last month, $40 on an incredibly crafted crochet hook and I can't tell you how much I want to pick it up and use it, just because it's so beautiful. So! I think you'd probably enjoy these needles a lot, I know I want a pair. We'll hear what others have to say though...

here's two links that are very interesting:

http://knittersreview.com/article_tool.asp?article=/review/product/061102_a.asp

http://www.lanternmoon.com/destiny.asp

janelanespaintbrush
11-08-2006, 01:12 PM
I say, if it enhances your knitting experience, you should go for it. In the scheme of things, $20 is cheap considering how much use you'll get out of them. You probably wouldn't think twice about spending that much on a meal at a restaurant, and you would only enjoy that for a few minutes. (Depending on the quality of the food, heck, you might not enjoy it at all!) The needles, OTOH would last a life time.

JLC
11-08-2006, 01:52 PM
I say, if it enhances your knitting experience, you should go for it. In the scheme of things, $20 is cheap considering how much use you'll get out of them. You probably wouldn't think twice about spending that much on a meal at a restaurant, and you would only enjoy that for a few minutes. (Depending on the quality of the food, heck, you might not enjoy it at all!) The needles, OTOH would last a life time.

Yeah, what she said. Go for it.

rebecca
11-08-2006, 01:55 PM
GO FOR IT!!!

Stonington
11-08-2006, 02:19 PM
I feel that it is my KnittingHelp civic duty to enable you as so many of our knitting friends have enabled me in the last couple of days! Go for it! Just think of the pleasure you will feel working with such beautiful needles. :hug:

There, I now feel that I have given back to our community here. :flirt:

anne
n. sebago, me

Ingrid
11-08-2006, 03:47 PM
My husband might have a fit!

You're talking about a TOOL here, I tell ya! A TOOL!!! I'll bet your husband has tools that he maybe uses once a year. You'll use these every day--for a gift for your mother! How can he have a fit about that?? :teehee:

Stiney
11-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Honey, you came to the wrong place if you expected us to talk you out of it.

Of COURSE we're going to tell you to splurge.

kschmitz
11-08-2006, 03:51 PM
The two of you can't even go to a movie for $20. The LM needles are a beautiful, like Ingrid said, a tool that you will use for years. So, 10 sets at once...probably not. But one set...sure!

We are the best enablers! :teehee:

aineepooh1
11-08-2006, 04:02 PM
I agree with the other posters.. If you are like me you will get your MONEY"S WORTH over and over again by using your needles. Also, twenty dollars on needles is nothing compared what we WILLING spend on food.
but if you are on a tight budget.. put the current project on a stitch holder... start a new project and come back to it..
I do it all the time!! :teehee: :cheering:

Sissy
11-08-2006, 06:29 PM
:teehee: I say to you....Do It ,Do It,Do It! :teehee: Sissy

nadja la claire
11-08-2006, 06:44 PM
:teehee: I say to you....Do It ,Do It,Do It! :teehee: Sissy

ME TOO!

JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Besides like Ingrid said THE NEEDLES ARE TOOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How much does your DH send on tools?

Nadja xxx

Liliyarn
11-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Here's my whole opinion...

You cannot possibly buy those needles. ...with out buying the really nice yarn to go with it. I think lantern moon actual spontaneously combusts if the cheapo 1.50 for a pound acrylic touches it.

So to remedy this...buy yarn that is just as great as the needles.

Needles last a life time (well except sock wood DPNs). Those are works of art and actually provide a *service*. It benefits you and others. $20...such a pathetic amount of money for something that generates so much warm fuzzies.

A movie for two costs about $20 bucks and lasts 2hrs.
Divide $20 into the *hours* of knitting you will do with them.
It doesn't get any cheaper than that.....

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-08-2006, 07:37 PM
I didn't even read your post, but I say SPLURGE SPLURGE SPLURGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

HamburgKnitter
11-09-2006, 03:09 AM
I say GO FOR IT. As the saying goes: "you can't take it with you"....so why not?

Andrea
11-09-2006, 08:06 AM
I didn't even read your post, but I say SPLURGE SPLURGE SPLURGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

XbelovedXoneX
11-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Well, I did end up splurging! Even when we can afford nice things I always feel so guilty spending money on things that aren't "necessities". But the DH husband convinced me that I should go buy them since I recently let him buy another guitar. :teehee:

I was so good at the LYS too! I only cast a longing glance at the malabrigo, I didn't dare caress it!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-09-2006, 12:03 PM
:cheering:

mimi
11-09-2006, 12:26 PM
If not now, when ?!!!

Actually, I was here at work debating about buying Malabrigo yarn when the UPS man delivered three fishing rods to my boss. Three. So I asked my boss why he bought three, and he said, "Why not?"

Why not?!!

aineepooh1
11-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Mimi... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
XBeloved: :cheering: :cheering: :happydance: :happydance:
Good Girl and GOOD HUBBY!!!
I like him already!! :cheering: :cheering: