PDA

View Full Version : What does "selvedge" mean?

Diamonznpurlz
11-08-2006, 02:44 PM
I am sorry, sometimes things are "GREEK" to me! :wall: I am sure its something simple but what does this mean?? It is part of ribbing instructions. Thank you!!!

LoAnnie
11-08-2006, 03:26 PM
selvedge is just the edges of the knitted fabric you have made, specifically the sides.

LoAnnie

Diamonznpurlz
11-08-2006, 03:34 PM
OMG, how did you get the Ingrid Fan Club thing! I want one! She always help me too!

Ok, so can you help me interpret what this means b/c I still don't get it...Sorry!!! :shrug:

Instructions:
My all time favorite is a simple 1x1 or 2x2 rib. This rib can be done on a multiple of 2 + selvedge.

Thank you.....

LoAnnie
11-08-2006, 03:44 PM
I think she means 1 st for each edge, so that would be multiple of 2 + 2. now that doesn't make much sense. Is there going to be a seam? If that's the case, she's talking about whatever number of stitches are going into the seam. Maybe someone with more experience will come along and help.

Do a search on this forum for the Ingrid fanclub and I think you should be able to find it. It was a while back so I don't remember who first posted it.

LoAnnie

Ingrid
11-08-2006, 03:49 PM
The word selvedge comes from self edge. It's just a stitch that's not included in the pattern stitches--one on each edge. Sometimes they're used for seaming, sometimes to form a nice edge on a scarf.

The fan club is defunct because I embezzled all the dues. :teehee:

Diamonznpurlz
11-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Oh okay...I get it now!!!!! Thank you wonderful ladies!!

BTW, I doubt you embelezed the $$$, probably just converted it to yarn! :teehee:

Ingrid
11-08-2006, 05:03 PM
BTW, I doubt you embelezed the $$$, probably just converted it to yarn! :teehee:

Well, duh!!!! :rofl: