PDA

View Full Version : very silly question

ChristineDoucet
11-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Hi
This maybe a very silly question. I was just wondering why some yarn is rolled in a ball and others are kinda like twisted?
Is it easier to knit with one compared to the other?
Thanks
Christine

Jan in CA
11-08-2006, 03:19 PM
I'm not sure there is any reason for either. The yarn that is in hanks tends to be more expensive yarn. You have to roll the hanks into balls to use it.

MrTea
11-08-2006, 04:13 PM
The question is not silly.

Yarn is packaged and sold in many different forms, the most common forms for hand knitting are...

Balls - look like a round ball
Skeens - similar to a ball but shaped more like a log
Hanks - large loop of yarn that is twisted and folded back onto itself and must be wound into a ball, before it can be used.

Usually the higher quality or hand spun yarns come packaged in hanks. However, don't assume a yarn is high quality simply because it comes in hanks. There are also a great many super high quality yarns that come in balls and skeens.

You may even come across yarns wound onto a roll or cone, although I believe those are designed to be used by a machine, but can also be used for hand knitting.

Krystal
11-08-2006, 04:20 PM
I'm not sure there is any reason for either. The yarn that is in hanks tends to be more expensive yarn. You have to roll the hanks into balls to use it.

so you're paying more money to do the work of rolling it? Is there a reason for that, or is it just a silly mystery of yarn?

Jan in CA
11-08-2006, 04:24 PM

so you're paying more money to do the work of rolling it? Is there a reason for that, or is it just a silly mystery of yarn?

:teehee: I have no idea.

brownishcoat
11-08-2006, 04:26 PM
It could be the manufacturer trying to keep costs down. So that you are paying just for the yarn and not the work it takes to wind it into a ball or skein. This is just a theory, though.

MrTea
11-08-2006, 04:26 PM

I think, in reality, you are actually paying less. The yarn manufacturer knows you are already paying a premium for premium yarn. They would have to raise the price of the already expensive yarn, if they were to wind it into a ball for you.

Also, I would assume that smaller yarn manufacturers can't afford the machines it takes to wind the yarn into balls.

Your LYS will generally, unless they are really busy, wind your hanks into balls at no charge.

You are comparing apples to oranges. They are not jacking up the price for the same product. You are paying more for a higher quality product. You are also supporting small business, which is sooo very important these days where everything is ultra-corporatized.

If you don't support small businesses, eventually we will all be knitting every project with Red Heart and eating all our meals at Ihop. Or worse yet standing in line all day with your ration cards to buy a few squares of Soylent Green.

brownishcoat
11-08-2006, 04:27 PM
MrTea and I are on the same wavelength! :rofl:

janelanespaintbrush
11-08-2006, 04:30 PM
I read somewhere (probably here but I'm too lazy to do a search right now) that yarn is better kept in hanks since they're looser and thus less stressful to the fiber. Whether this is true, I don't know.

MrTea
11-08-2006, 04:32 PM
I read somewhere (probably here but I'm too lazy to do a search right now) that yarn is better kept in hanks since they're looser and thus less stressful to the fiber. Whether this is true, I don't know.

I would buy that. Why not?

Liliyarn
11-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Yes, *in therory* the fibers are not tensed or stressed in a hank. The twist is loose and not as tight as a ball. You are *supposed* to only wind it in a ball when you knit with it.

MrTea
11-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Yes, *in therory* the fibers are not tensed or stressed in a hank. The twist is loose and not as tight as a ball. You are *supposed* to only wind it in a ball when you knit with it.

It does make sense. Well, I guess that's your answer, ChristineDoucet.

losnana
11-08-2006, 07:38 PM

I think it was on this forum a few weeks ago.

ChristineDoucet
11-09-2006, 08:41 AM
heheheh Thanks everyone

Ingrid
11-09-2006, 08:59 AM
I think they're just prettier in hanks, too. :teehee: