PDA

View Full Version : Circulars

Mrs. D.
11-08-2006, 04:17 PM
I am a fairly new knitter, been crocheting for years. I just can't get the hang of them. I know I see a lot of posts where others say they do everything on them. I got a pair of bamboo (Takimu??) circulars to try and was trying to knit a hat because there would be no seam. But when I cast on, the stitches on the loop part were loose and I know the should be to slide back and forth but I just can't get the tension together. I really like the dpns which I guess accomplish the same thing. I am working on a headband pattern that called for circulars but I used dpns. I also read where if you are doing an afghan or something large the circulars are easier on you. Because of the popularity of the circulars I feel I should keep trying to work with them but because it is so frustrating to me, would I be limiting myself with regards to what I will be able to make if I stick with straights and dpns? What do you think?

Calamintha
11-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Before giving up on the circs (they're incredibly useful) I would recommend trying different types. If you don't like the bamboo circs maybe you would like metal ones like Addi Turbos.

suzeeq
11-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Yes the stitches will be looser on the cord (is that what you meant by loop?) because it's a smaller diameter than the needle tips. Don't worry about that, the stitches get made on the ends where they're the right tension.

sue

Ingrid
11-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Some things just have too many stitches for dpns. Suseeq is right--it's ok that the stitches are on the cord--they're supposed to be. It is important, though that your circular needle is not too long for your project.