PDA

View Full Version : Boston knitters unite!!

Kaydee
11-08-2006, 05:27 PM
Any Boston knitters out there? We sould start a knitting group, how fun would that be?!

Lyndalm
11-08-2006, 06:35 PM
Ah if you only lived closer! I'm 1 1/2 hours south of you in Taunton!

Lynda M
1992-2006 Homer

ann in ma
11-09-2006, 09:24 AM
and I'm about an hour south, too (attleboro)

MrTea
11-13-2006, 11:44 AM
I grew up in MA, and half my family lives there. Does that count?

feministmama
11-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Hey my dad lives in Taunton. Call him up and teach him to knit. I live in Oregon but we go back to visit MA every august. We usually stay at my mum's house on the cape though.

Tanya
11-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Haverhill here!

Pancho
11-16-2006, 04:15 PM
There's an informal group of folks that meet in the basement of Pandemonium (a local sci-fi/fantasy bookstore). We just started meeting October and meet Thursday nights on a bunch of comfy sofas they have there. The group was started as a "crafty" group-- not purely knitting-- but really, we're mostly knitters these days (from 4-10 folks, usually on the higher side).

Pandemonium Bookstore is located right in Central Square (Red Line), just behind the 7-11 next to the Cambridge post office and kitty-corner from Cambridge City Hall. We meet from 7-10ish and there's some really nifty folks/projects going on, and a mix of many different folks. We're talking of doing a yarn swap soon, and taking extra stuff to work on projects for good causes.

There's also a few other groups-- I just heard of one that meets at a local yarn store in Porter Square, but I've yet to check it out.

Feel free to c'mon by and meet the gang. :^)

Stiney
11-16-2006, 04:20 PM
:?? I thought Pandemonium was the name of the book store in Harvard Square, near the Newbury Comics. Did they move?

Pancho
11-16-2006, 04:53 PM
:?? I thought Pandemonium was the name of the book store in Harvard Square, near the Newbury Comics. Did they move?

Yep! They just reopened in their new location a few months ago. New location, BIGGER and more COMFY, and half the basement has tables for in-store gaming, the other half has comfy couches! And the third half has games-stuff. A three-half basement! :^b

Stiney
11-16-2006, 04:58 PM
:rofl:

That's awesome. I only went there a few times, but I liked it. I tended to avoid the trek to Cambridge because I used to get lost there a lot. :teehee:

I probably won't have time to check it out next time I'm in Boston (Tuesday), but if I get this job ( :pray: ) I'll definitely be showing up.

Kaydee
11-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the info Pancho! I'll have to come check it out sometime soon!!

Pancho
11-17-2006, 01:47 PM
:rofl:

That's awesome. I only went there a few times, but I liked it. I tended to avoid the trek to Cambridge because I used to get lost there a lot. :teehee:

I probably won't have time to check it out next time I'm in Boston (Tuesday), but if I get this job ( :pray: ) I'll definitely be showing up.

FYI-- won't be meeting next Thursday (the store's closed on Thanksgiving, I think), but the following Thursday (and the first one in December), we'll also be having a yarn/stuff swap-- bring any yarns/needles/etc you've got that you'd like to trade for something else. Some of our number got lots of various needles/types from eBay and Amazon and want to trade for sizes they don't have, and so forth.

Good luck with the job prospect ::knocks on wood:: and have a happy holiday!

WynnieG
11-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Hooray for Pandemonium finally getting play space. I know that was a real crimp in their style for a loong time, and cost them some business (to Danger Planet in Waltham, which had ample play space).

The yarn store in Porter Square, which is on the other side of the parking lot from the supermarket - that little side street behind the CVS - has knitting groups, spinning groups, and offers classes. However, last I checked they charge for their 'social' knitting groups.

Circles in JP is near the Green St. T station, and they have a weekly knit-in. You have to show up early though, as that back room gets cramped quickly.

I was wondering - is there an interest in a monthly tea and knitting group? I've been trying to organize a tea aficionado's group, and if we could get some knitters who love tea to come along, that would rock.

There are tea places in the Norwood/Attleboro area (Teas and Trinkets is still open, yes??), and also a new one in Salem, MA that I just heard about... if folks didn't want to do the whole city thing (although I've heard nice things about the tea room at the Boston Public Library).

My in-laws live in the Foxboro area so if any of you "South Shore" knitters could swing something that way this winter, I'd be onboard for that!

knitmonkey
12-08-2006, 12:47 PM
This is such a fortuitous post!

1. I just moved to Boston this week and I was hoping to find a knitting group.

2. I was in Harvard Square yesterday with a local knitter friend who wanted to show me the cool little bookstore in the Garage, only to be disappointed that it was closed.

I'll try to make it out to Pandemonium some upcoming Thursday. Thanks for the info. :)

msack3889
12-26-2006, 09:26 PM
Anyone near Lowell? I am just starting to knit...taking a break from :wall: LOL. I need more patience and obviously more practice. My mom is in town visiting from PA, and she has offered to teach me how to knit, but I wanted to have a little bit of an idea of what I'm doing before she sits with me. I'm also left handed, and she's a rightie.

Anyway, are there other knitters in my area?

MarchingTwinkie3
01-16-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm in Wakefield, about 10 minutes northeast of Boston. We're quite a boring town. We do have a yarn store here, but I have yet to visit it. :oops:

msack3889
01-16-2007, 04:03 PM
I'm in Wakefield, about 10 minutes northeast of Boston. We're quite a boring town. We do have a yarn store here, but I have yet to visit it. :oops:

I know where that is---my father grew up there, and my aunt & uncle still live there.

Whereabouts is the yarn store?

MarchingTwinkie3
01-16-2007, 06:11 PM

I know where that is---my father grew up there, and my aunt & uncle still live there.

Whereabouts is the yarn store?
It's on the corner of Albion and Foster Sts about a block off of Main St. It's next to a bead store. http://www.butterflyyarns.com/ is their website.

Kaydee
02-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Ok all you Boston and Mass knitters....I am stying to start a team for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer (http://walk.avonfoundation.org/site/PageServer?pagename=walk_homepage). Its May 19-20 and you walk Saturday either a 1/2 marathon or a whole (you choose), then they have a camp that everyone stays at, they provide tents, food, entertainment, etc. On Sunday you walk another 1/2 marathon. It costs $55 to walk, and you raise $1800 that goes towards differernt breast cancer causes. You get sent a t-shirt, and all fundraising materials to help you raise the money. My point in posting this is to ask if anyone would like to sign up, and when I get my team together to join my team. I think this would be such a cool way to meet some knitters and its for a good cause! You can pm me and let me know if you'd like to join, I'd love to have some KHer's on the team! :cheering:

Miss Moosey
02-24-2007, 06:13 PM
For all those people who hate schlepping across the river to Cambridge, I think that there might possibly be a knitting group that meets at Windsor Button (it's on Temple Place, right next to the Boston Common). But I'm not sure.

katenev_BNL
03-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Hey MA Knitters - just wanted to introduce myself --

I'm Kate, I live in Natick .... Married for almost 6 years, I have a pug and a 21mo son, and I'm a stay at home mom, and I also work p/t at the local Curves !

I learned how to knit while I was Umass, and in Sept 06, I picked it up again and have been getting into it, big time!

I've made lots of scarves, a headband, a hat, 2 baby hats, and 2 pairs of baby booties... so far.

My current project is the Booga Bag , using Noro Kureyon #159. It's my first venture into circulars and felting !

There's a great knitting store in Needham, Black Sheep Knitting Company.
http://www.blacksheepknitting.net/index.html , they're the ones that showed me the Booga Bag! And then I found this forum while trying to figure out "Pick Up and Knit Twisted." ... and that's when I realized I was in good company!

Anyway - that's it. Just wanted to say hi!
-Kate

BostonBecca
03-07-2007, 12:12 AM
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/snb-boston/

I want one on the B line in Allston or by BU!

zebstriped
03-19-2007, 10:32 AM
I'm happy to see I'm not alone in Metrowest. I'm a new knitter, but am getting tired of scarves and I'm nearly ready to move on!

While not knitting, I play with my two Boston Terriers and enjoy long walks in the woods.

katenev_BNL
03-19-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm happy to see I'm not alone in Metrowest. I'm a new knitter, but am getting tired of scarves and I'm nearly ready to move on!

While not knitting, I play with my two Boston Terriers and enjoy long walks in the woods.

Hey Zeb !! Long walks in the woods eh? Have you been to Elm Bank Reservation in Wellesley? Highly recommended - we bring our pug there (when the weather is nice) and he loves it!

xkimberly723x
03-19-2007, 11:16 PM
Hey all-
I'm absolutely brand new to knitting. I actually havent even started yet..I just got some yarn and was trying to find an online site to help me learn! I'm from the merrimack valley area and just thought I'd say hi!
:D

Stiney
04-05-2007, 05:59 PM
I'm coming back to Red Sox Nation!!!!

(I hate the Red Sox!!!)

But I'm moving back to BOSTON!!!! :blooby:

IrishKnitter
04-05-2007, 09:38 PM
(I hate the Red Sox!!!)

:noway: Stine, I don't know if they'll let you move back to Boston with that attitude! :teehee: Wait....you're a :ick: Yankees :ick: fan, aren't you?!?!

Stiney
04-05-2007, 09:53 PM
:teehee:

Born and bred!

I tell you, there is NOTHING like strolling around Kenmore Square in my Mariano Rivera jersey.

I was in Boston when the Red Sox won the World Series. :pout: :ick:

BostonBecca
04-06-2007, 10:36 AM
We haven't passed an ordinance yet making it illegal for Yankees fans to live in Boston but I'm working on it......

Kaydee
04-11-2007, 10:40 AM
We haven't passed an ordinance yet making it illegal for Yankees fans to live in Boston but I'm working on it......

I'll join you in the fight Becca!

Stiney
04-11-2007, 10:55 AM
It'll never pass. Because the majority of Boston college students are from NJ and Long Island. You eliminate Yankees fans, you eliminate the life blood of the city. :teehee:

Kaydee
04-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Eh, we can get some new students. It seems to me that most of the students are international or New Englanders in my experience. Besides we don't need those New Yorkers and New Jerseyers anyway (don't you know that's the armpit of the nation? :teehee: )

Stiney
04-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Really? I think I knew about 3 New Englanders. Vast majority were from New York/New Jersey. :teehee:

Well, I'd rather be from the armpit than from Florida, which is the...um. This is a PG-13 forum. :oops: :teehee:

ironmaiden
04-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Hey all - I'm not in Boston, but this seems to be the MA thread... I'm a bit south, Fall River.

Just started knitting this week, but I'm in love. Working on my very first project - a poncho for my daughter's birthday (she's 3 so even if it's terrible she'll love it lol).

-Katie

zebstriped
04-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Welcome to your new obsession! I've been knitting since February, but am also in love...I just have to learn to stop buying more yarn until I can knit up what I already have. Stash is getting out of control! I'm up in Southboro in the armpit of Route 9/495.

Miss Moosey
05-05-2007, 05:12 PM
So last night I went to Mike's Pastries in the North End (yum) with a group of friends. We brought our goodies home and, as we were eating, I had a thought. I looked at the string they used to tie up our boxes, grabbed a pair of needles, and began to knit! I knitted a whole bookmark out of that string!

Hooray for knitting in Boston! xxx

Stiney
05-06-2007, 12:03 AM
:drool:

I can't wait to get back to Mike's. I took a friend there once, and he bought marzipan. :roll: I told him he was supposed to buy canoli, and he said "meh."

Good idea on the bookmark! I always wanted to save them but never knew what to do with them, but then I wasn't a knitter yet.

Holden_Knitter
06-05-2007, 08:24 PM
I am from Holden, which is just outside of Worcester in Central MA. There is a great yarn store in Holden called The Sheep Shack. I am taking my first class there (I know the basic stitches) and I am so excited! One of my friends has taken 2 or 3 there and loved it!

KarenKlopfer
06-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Hello all,

I live in Dedham, MA and work in Southboro, MA.

Karen

Stiney
06-19-2007, 01:39 PM
I went in Knit and Needlepoint, Too today. (I think that's what it was called.) It's on Newbury, on the left hand side if you're facing the Public Gardens, and on the last block before them. It's a narrow store, and had yarn against the left wall when you walk in. I wasn't that knocked out by what they had, and their needles were mostly straights (Clover, and some plastic kind--maybe Lion Brand), though they did have some Addi Turbos.

A lot of novelty yarns, a few that looked like they were spun locally (they weren't a name brand), some Jo Sharp and some Debbie Bliss were all I saw. :shrug: It sounds like Windsor Button isn't far from where I work, so I'll have to head down there one day.

KT120
06-29-2007, 04:19 PM
I just noticted this thread and thought I would say Hi to everyone. :waving: I live in Medford and as I had mentioned before i took classes at Sparks Craft Studio which also sells some wonderfull yarn.

I have only been knitting for 2 months now but am soooo addicted its ridiculous. And like Zebstriped, I have to learn not too keep adding to my stash.

Riss
07-06-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm from MA too! Hurray!

I live in Hamilton. It's a tiny little town on the north shore. So small, that when driving through it and you blink, you'll miss it.

I'm also a mom to a Boston Terrier named Brutus. I once crocheted him a sweater, but it was horribly ugly and has now made it to the bottom of the closet in the living room. I can't blame him for not wanting to wear it :P

But one of these days, since i'm learning to knit, I'll make him something cute... that he can actually wear and not feel like a dork. :P

--Riss

zebstriped
07-18-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm also a mom to a Boston Terrier named Brutus.

Awesome, another knitting BT-owner in Massachusetts! I have two, Zoe & Eli, and the reason I even started knitting was because my other half got me a great book with doggie outfits, one being a BT wearing a dress. I still have no skill at shaping, and they just freeze when I dress them! Example of Eli:

Stiney
07-18-2007, 04:48 PM
I am a Boston Terrier. :teehee:

http://www.kb0.org/img/logo_rhett.jpg

Riss
07-29-2007, 01:16 PM
zebstriped: I've had issues dressing Brutus.. His chest is very very wide, top to bottom, compared to the rest of him. I've tried to crochet him a few sweaters, but I can't manage getting it too look right without riding up his neck. :(

Riss
08-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Hey guys...
I was wondering if there is anyone on the North Shore... My boyfriend and I are going through an.. I need space and time for me phase... So i'm going to have a lot of my time on my hands. Just wondering if anyone wanted to get together and knit one day...

zebstriped
08-10-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm in central mass -- handy to routes 495/9. Perhaps we could meet halfway for coffee/knitting/terrier talk?

myfitness
08-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Hello from Canton, Ma. Been knitting since I was 6 years old; now over 40. Taught my son how to knit since he was 7 despite my husband's uncomfortable impressions.

I inherited my grandmother's tastes (and her collection of) for exotic wood knitting needles. I shamefully switched to circulars (Knitpick Options and Addi's) about 4 years ago:oops:; for their ease in carrying, no fear of breakage, and speed.

I knit continental, english, combined, and recently Portuguese (also known as Peruvian).

What can I say? I like to challenge my brain and have a fetish for mastering knitting styles/techniques. It's an obssession really:wall:.

bip
10-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Howdy from Brookline. My horse lives in Canton! I work in Boston. I'm all over this place :)

k1p2yoohoo
10-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Hey Holden! I just moved to West Boylston about 10 months ago from Cambridge. I'll have to go visit that shop! I've been driving back to Boston/Brookline (A Good Yarn) and to Northampton (Webs or yarn.com) but something closer would be a lot more convenient ... we just bought the family farm and don't know what WE are going to do with it yet ... I'm thinking ... hmmm, how about raising whatever animals would make good yarn!

sea-kayaker
12-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Hi Ladies! I'm new to the group and knitting. A friend was always knitting socks and I thought it looked fun so I jumped right in with both feet ;) and started knitting. And I am addicted! Will I ever go to bed before midnight or am I doomed to stay up knitting?

Hey all-
I'm absolutely brand new to knitting. I actually havent even started yet..I just got some yarn and was trying to find an online site to help me learn! I'm from the merrimack valley area and just thought I'd say hi!

Hi Kimberly. I'm in Methuen too. There is a very nice and super friendly knitting group at the Nevins Library that meet on Tuesday's (the times vary every other week). Let me know if you are interested and I'll get the times for you.

anph
12-29-2007, 08:47 PM
I am in Lynn which is just north of boston, about 8 miles

anph
12-29-2007, 08:49 PM
I am on the northshore in Lynn on the lynn/salem line, western ave and I would love too

anph
12-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Hey guys...
I was wondering if there is anyone on the North Shore... My boyfriend and I are going through an.. I need space and time for me phase... So i'm going to have a lot of my time on my hands. Just wondering if anyone wanted to get together and knit one day...

Sorry, I should have included this the first time. I am in Lynn where are you on the northshore?

wendita
02-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Any Boston knitters out there? We sould start a knitting group, how fun would that be?!
I work in Boston but live in North Reading! I would love a knitting group.l.. Wendy

wendita
02-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Hi! I'm in North Reading! Butterfly is cute but it's small. Still, it has some nice yarns. Definitely worth a visit. I love the pictures by the register: Freinds don't let friends knit drunk, and the picture of the teenage boys knitting! HA!

Spikey
07-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Hi Boston-Area Knitters! (I'm a former Medford/Somerville Girl myself)

As many of you are aware, knitters from KH have been collaborating to make blankets, lapghans, baby blankets, & preemie blankets for some time now.

The Oddball Baby Blankets project has become so successful that Shandeh has broken it up into regions, and I am lucky enough to be helping to organize the Northeast region.

Our worsted weight blankets are going to Bridgeport Hospital, in Connecticut.

We've just arranged for the Special Delivery Unit at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia to be the recipient of any preemie blankets that we make. For those not familiar, this is a brand new, first-of-its-kind center specifically built in to allow women carrying babies with congenital heart disease or other serious congenital malformations, as well as women whose babies undergo surgery before they are even born! They are doing amazing, life-saving work. More information is available here:http://www.chop.edu/consumer/jsp/division/generic.jsp?id=85487 (sorry, don't know how to make pretty links )

The purpose in reaching out to you all is to increase our numbers for these terrific projects. You can see the list of current projects on our blog (link in my sig below) and on the NE knitters thread:http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81357

If any of you are interested in participating, please PM me with your address and we'll get you on the list. All are welcome, and new ideas for blanket themes are greatly appreciated!

Sharlene
08-02-2008, 03:53 PM
This thread is old so I don't kow if anyone will read this but I thought I'd give it a try anyway. I'm in Peabody, MA and have JUST started knitting. Any knitting groups in the area?