PDA

View Full Version : Just learned the "figure 8" cast-on - sooo cool

MrTea
11-08-2006, 05:57 PM
I just learned the figure 8 cast on. So very slick.

After a little frustration, some colorful words and a few tries, I'm an instant fan.

I'm making my first pair of socks.

Has anyone tried using the "figure 8" cast on to make a hat? I've gotta try it.

brendajos
11-08-2006, 06:08 PM
:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

MrTea
11-08-2006, 06:09 PM
What exactly is meant by that, brendajos?

You seem to have strong feelings on this issue.

dustinac
11-08-2006, 06:10 PM
:rofl: :roflhard: cause she can't figure it out :rofl: :roflhard:

CarmenIbanez
11-08-2006, 06:11 PM
I'm not sure I even know what the figure 8 cast on is?

brendajos
11-08-2006, 06:11 PM
:verysad: :waah: :verysad: :waah: :verysad: :waah: :verysad: :waah: :verysad: :waah: :verysad: :waah: :verysad: :waah: :verysad: :waah: :verysad: :waah: :verysad: :waah: :verysad: :waah: :verysad: :waah: :verysad: :waah: :verysad: :waah: :verysad: :waah: :verysad: :waah:

dustinac
11-08-2006, 06:12 PM
:hug: :heart: it'll be ok... :pout: :teehee:

MrTea
:rofl: :roflhard: cause she can't figure it out :rofl: :roflhard:

Oh. Yea, it's a little tricky, but once you get it, it's worth all the frustration.

brendajos

It is proof that satan exists! *sigh* It is for doing socks toe up and i can't make it happen without it unraveling... hmph!

MrTea
11-08-2006, 06:15 PM

Here's the diagram of how you start. It's from the free toe-up sock pattern on this site.

MrTea
11-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Once you have that, you knit across the top and then the bottom loops. It's tricky for sure, but it's really cool.

It allows you to start a knit-in-the-round project without a hole at the top. Also, it starts with more of a straight line than a circle. Perfect for socks, but I think it might be a really cool way to start a hat as well.

dustinac
11-08-2006, 06:19 PM
yeah I haven't tried it.. just cause of what all brendajos has went through with it... :teehee:

:cheering: for Mr. Tea!!

janelanespaintbrush
11-08-2006, 06:20 PM
I humbly submit the turkish cast-on (http://fluffyknitterdeb.blogspot.com/2005/10/knitting-made-easier-turkish-cast-on.html) as a superior alternative to figure 8. It's even cooler when used with magic loop for two socks. (http://www.misocrafty.squarespace.com/journal/2006/1/30/turkish-cast-on-tutorial.html)

Not only is it easy to do, but you don't create any twisted stitches so you don't have to worrying about working through the back loop. It also doesn't make your knitting off by half a stitch like some other cast-ons. Try it, brendajos. All the cool kids are using it. :teehee:

ETA: Okay, I don't know where I got the idea that it didn't, but the Turkish cast-on does make your knitting off by half a stitch when going in the other direction. :oops: I still like it, though.[/list]

MrTea
11-08-2006, 06:26 PM
I humbly submit the turkish cast-on (http://fluffyknitterdeb.blogspot.com/2005/10/knitting-made-easier-turkish-cast-on.html) as a superior alternative to figure 8. It's even cooler when used with magic loop for two socks. (http://www.misocrafty.squarespace.com/journal/2006/1/30/turkish-cast-on-tutorial.html)

Not only is it easy to do, but it doesn't make your knitting off by half-a-stitch like other provisional cast-ons. Try it, brendajos. All the cool kids are using it. :teehee:

Ooh, that's interesting. I'll have to try that too. Thanks Jane.

CarmenIbanez
11-08-2006, 06:29 PM
It allows you to start a knit-in-the-round project without a hole at the top. Also, it starts with more of a straight line than a circle. Perfect for socks, but I think it might be a really cool way to start a hat as well.

OOOOH. I like the sound of that.

MrTea
11-08-2006, 06:33 PM
OOOOH. I like the sound of that.

I think you'll like it, Carmen.

I'll get the camera out and post a photo of what it looks like when I get home.

mwedzi
11-08-2006, 06:46 PM

Not only is it easy to do, but you don't create any twisted stitches so you don't have to worrying about working through the back loop. It also doesn't make your knitting off by half a stitch like some other cast-ons. Try it, brendajos. All the cool kids are using it. :teehee:

Cool, two new methods I have to try. That Turkish cast on looks not too difficult and interesting. Will definitely try that, though there are not many sizes on needles for which I have 2 circs (read, only in size 9)

janelanespaintbrush
11-08-2006, 06:52 PM
That Turkish cast on looks not too difficult and interesting. Will definitely try that, though there are not many sizes on needles for which I have 2 circs (read, only in size 9)

If you go to the second link, it shows how to do it with magic loop (one circ instead of two). That's the way I do it. I didn't use it as the main link since she's showing how to do two at once, which might make it a little more confusing if you just want to do one. (You also don't have to use it just with objects knit in the round. It'll work wherever a provisional cast-on is needed.)

MrTea
11-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Here's what it looks like...

zkimom
11-08-2006, 08:38 PM
I love the figure 8 cast on! :heart: I tried my first pair of socks ankle down and I hated them.':-x' I only made one. Then I discovered toe up and I have made 2 pairs! :cheering:

I may try the leg down again now that I have mastered the kitchener.

But I have some lovely grey sock yarn I got from KnitPicks and I am planning to make another toe up pair for my son.

I have a book on making socks from 2 circulars but haven't gotten past reading the instructions.

Best,
Susan

suzeeq
11-09-2006, 02:04 AM
If you want to knit a moebius from the center out, a cast on for that is like the Turkish/Figure 8 only you do it on one circular needle.

sue

kemp
11-09-2006, 11:30 AM
I've used figure 8 for my toe ups and it was a little frustrating when first learning it. The main tip is to do it LOOSELY then tighten it up once you get going. I've heard the turkish is better but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.