PDA

View Full Version : Baby Sweater Help

mari_13
11-08-2006, 10:50 PM
Hello ladies,

I'm a newbie to KH and knitting! I'm currently taking a sweater class at my LYS. We're knitting the Lil' Dumplin Sweater from SnB Nation. The teacher basically left us to ourselves to make it and when we meet again in a week and a half, she'll show us how to seam it.

Well I'm stuck on a part and my LYS is a 1/2 hour away! Can someone please help?

After knitting for 9 1/2 inches, I had to K16, BO 10 sts, K16.

Well I bound off the 10 stitches but now have nothing to continue knitting with on the first 16 stitches? I'm sorry...I'm so confused. Do I have to start new yarn for the bind off stitches? The teacher said once we started binding off, we'd be working with two balls of yarn. TIA for your help!

Mari

knitqueen
11-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Yes, you can do one of two things.

1. knit 16, BO 10, knit 16 -- so, complete that whole row with the same ball of yarn, and then you will from now on use that ball of yarn only on the 16 stitches on that side of the center bind off. When you have to go do the other side, you will join a new ball of yarn to start working on the purl side.

2. knit 16, join new yarn to BO 10 and knit the last 16.

Either way works, I'm surprised that your pattern doesn't say something about it? :shrug:

Ingrid
11-08-2006, 11:09 PM
You hit the nail on the head. Knit the first 16, then, using a new ball of yarn, bind off the center 10 and finish the row. Now you'll have a strand attached for each shoulder.

See? You're doing fine! :happydance:

mari_13
11-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Thank you for your quick response! I frogged my bound off stitches and will try to add a new ball of yarn. I can't picture it visually but I just have to try! Thank you!

Mari

knitqueen
11-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Because you are casting off the center set of stitches, you can't possibly work the left and right sides of the sweater with the same ball of yarn, if you did you'd end up with long strands across the neckline when going between the two sides. Trust me, it will make sense once you do it! :D