PDA

View Full Version : $100 for sweater yarn...should I???

ScandaKnitvian
11-09-2006, 03:56 PM
OK...I'm looking for a worsted yarn for a hoodie for my teenaged dd. I want something soft, washable, and NICE...so I've narrowed it to superwash merinos. I found a line that has the colors I want, but the yarn is going to cost me like $100. (gulp) My dd takes good care of her things...I know she would appreciate it and care for it, but I've never spent this kind of money on a knitting project (I just learned in the summer of '05). There are other nice yarns I could get for somewaht less $, but they're either not washable or don't offer the colors I want.

What should I do??? We have the money...in fact, I have a gallon jug of coins that has waaay more than $100...we won't be going without food or skip paying the electric bill just so I can buy yarn...

Should I do it???

Patty

Andrea
11-09-2006, 03:58 PM
I say yes!!!
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

CarmenIbanez
11-09-2006, 04:00 PM
You certainly don't have to answer to us. I think you should spend exactly as much as you'd like. I don't think it is out of the realm of sanity to pay $100 for enough yarn to make a sweater. I will ask this: how old is your daughter. Is this a sweater that she'll wear for years, or months?

ScandaKnitvian
11-09-2006, 04:05 PM
My dd is 15 and hasn't grown much at all in the past two years. It should fit her for a very long time.

Patty

Debbie
11-09-2006, 04:09 PM
It is SO MUCH FUN to knit with the EXACT yarn you want. It is much easier to finish a big project like a sweater when you enjoy every stitch.
I say YES!

janelanespaintbrush
11-09-2006, 04:14 PM
I don't know how much research you've done, but have you checked out all your options? You mentioned that you wanted a worsted weight superwash merino... what color did you have in mind? And what is the name of the yarn you're considering? The reason I ask is because I know that they are lots of folks here at KH who would be able to give great suggestions for other yarns that would be good candidates for your sweater, or tell you where to shop to get the best price on the yarn you're considering now.

Amber
11-09-2006, 04:33 PM
I think handknits are special things -- a labor of love, really. I'd be more likely to flinch at the idea of spending $100 on a store-bought sweater, than on spending that amount of money on yarn to make one -- especially if it was going to someone who would appreciate and enjoy it!

knitknitknit
11-09-2006, 04:37 PM
I say go for it!

Ingrid
11-09-2006, 05:06 PM
You'd spend that much on a nice dinner out with the family. Buy the yarn you want and enjoy making the sweater. You and your daughter deserve it!

moon
11-09-2006, 05:06 PM
How much is your typical sweater at Express? Like $50.00, right? And it will last 2 winters if you're lucky.

I say go for it. If you know she'll wear it frequently $100.00 for a sweater that will last is fine.

MrTea
11-09-2006, 05:15 PM
If you go to a department store and look at the finely knit sweaters (especially Polo) they can cost upwards of $400. You're lucky to find them under $200 on sale. $100 doesn't seem so bad to me. It takes a lot of yarn to make a sweater. Plus, when you're done you'll have a hand-made custom garment.

Just make sure it will fit. :teehee:

Haven't you ever noticed, how much better a meal tastes when it was made from scratch with love. Nothing beats that.

However, something to consider. A teenager, (don't want to make any assumptions about your dd, but I have teen sisters) may not appreciate what it means to have a hand made garment. Teens are so caught up in designer names these days. She may not understand how much time and effort goes into something like that.

Maybe, just make her a super nice hat or something. It's a lot easier to fit those. Takes a lot less time and yarn too.

nonny2t
11-09-2006, 05:24 PM
I looked at several hand knit sites, a couple with truly UGLY sweaters and most of them are well above $100 for a sweater, most being closer to $200. Think of it this way, besides being a true labor of love, when she is grown and has children of her own, she can show them the very special gift her mother made for her. I have several things I am so glad I kept that my mil made for my children and she passed away suddenly in 1989. They wouldn't have these things to treasure if she had not made them. If the expense is not the issue, and you seem to indicate it isn't, than I think by all means, treat the child you love to a true gift from the heart! She will appreciate it now, but she will treasure it when she is older!

Faye

skNYC
11-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Soft washable merino? Send me the link and maybe I should consider getting it for my DD too !

ScandaKnitvian
11-09-2006, 06:48 PM
This is the yarn I'm considering:

http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1001-1294-1323/0/5/1088//

I looked at some other places besides WEBS but couldn't find anyone cheaper. I want a turqoise blue and apple green, two of dd's favorite colors, and this line has them.

If anyone has suggestions for a cheaper place to buy this, or a similar alternative yarn, I'm all ears.

Patty

susies1955
11-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Patty,
This place has it for $67.50 for 10 skeins. You can calculate your shipping before you order. Mine to be sent here to NY was $6.95.
http://www.discountyarnsale.com/pd_artyarns_supermerino.cfm
Susie

ScandaKnitvian
11-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Wow, Susie, that's a great price...but do you have to buy in increments of ten balls? What if you need 15 balls? (which is what I would need for my hoodie) Also, I was needing two colors...but I could make it in one color. Thanks for sharing that site.

Patty

P.S. I guess I could order twenty balls and build up my stash. :wink:

susies1955
11-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Patty,
I think you have to buy 10 at a time. You could contact them and ask though.
:)
Susie

Julie
11-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Patty, the lovely Sarah's Yarns (http://www.sarahsyarns.com/AYSupermerino.html) also has Supermerino for $7.50/skein. :D

skNYC
11-10-2006, 12:04 AM
So far we got choices:

WEBS: 9.0 x 15 - 25% = 101.25
DiscountYarnSale: 67.5 x 20 = 135 (you got 5 extra balls)
Sarahs: 7.5 x 15 = 112.5

Check this (http://www.knittingzone.com/catalog/index.php?cName=worsted-weight-medium-supermerino) site to see if the color you want is the $5.40 ones.

janelanespaintbrush
11-10-2006, 08:20 AM
So far we got choices:

WEBS: 9.0 x 15 - 25% = 101.25
DiscountYarnSale: 67.5 x 20 = 135 (you got 5 extra balls)
Sarahs: 7.5 x 15 = 112.5

Check this (http://www.knittingzone.com/catalog/index.php?cName=worsted-weight-medium-supermerino) site to see if the color you want is the $5.40 ones.

Hey, it looks like turquoise is one of the colors you can get for $5.40! You know... I do feel a little vindicated now -- I felt like like such a heartless miser suggesting that you shop around more when everyone else said to just go for it. Your daughter deserves the best, but that doesn't mean you have to pay a premium price, right? (Of course, I didn't know you were shopping at WEBS, which is usually pretty cheap... looks like you may still be able to save a few bucks, though. How cool is that?)

ScandaKnitvian
11-10-2006, 10:03 AM
You're no heartless miser! I posted here so I could could get opinions and ideas from others. I truly appreciate what everyone has shared! Too bad that site doesn't have the apple green color on their $5.40 list as well. I may end up ordering it all from WEBS because if you order a certain amount, you get 25% off your total order. That makes it just $6.75 per skein...not bad.

Off to do some calculating and place my order FINALLY...

Thanks everyone! I'm bookmarking the other sites for future reference.

Happy knitting,

Patty

mwedzi
11-10-2006, 11:23 AM
You haven't ordered yet, have you?! If you *call* Sarah's Yarns and order directly over the phone, the yarn is even cheaper. It's like less than $7 per hank, I think. I lost her price sheet for orders placed directly, but she says that since she saves money that way (cuz i guess there are extra costs for ordering over the internet), if you just call her, she'll pass savings on to you.

Sarah's Yarns is great.