PDA

View Full Version : bag felting guage

cara
11-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Hi all,

I am going to make a booga bag, and I don't have a size 6.5 needle, but I have 6 and I have 7.... so aside from either making the bag a bit bigger or a bit smaller, is the difference in stitch size going to affect the felting any?

Thanks!

Pink Dandelion
11-09-2006, 09:18 PM
I've noticed that the looser the stitch the tighter it felts, infact I knitted one up real loose and it actually felted up SMALLER than the one that I knitted up on a tighter gauge... guess it has more room to shrink? :shrug: This may depend on your yarn though.

If it's just a booga bag, and you're not too worried about getting an exact size I wouldn't worry about the needle size, I've done them on US10.5 (6.5mm), US10 (6.0mm) and even US11(8.0mm). I've also used smaller guage yarns and smaller needles, but that's not really relevant to your question.

You might try a guage swatch too, you may find that you knit looser or tighter than the writer did, thus a 6.0 or 7.0 would be better anyway!

The biggest thing is that it knits up nice and loose so that there's plenty of friction between the fibers, room for shrinkage and the hot water can get in better if it's knit loose.

cara
11-09-2006, 10:07 PM
I was planning on using Patons SWS and was going to use a 6mm needle, but I am thinking now about using a 7mm needle.

I know some of you made Booga Bags with SWS, what size needles did you use?

Thanks Pink Dandelion for your help!

cara
11-10-2006, 08:47 PM
I know some of you made Booga Bags with SWS, what size needles did you use?

bumping this to see if I get a response.

Thanks!!!!