PDA

View Full Version : baby alpaca wool yarn for a rib pattered scarf... any good?

txwrexnstuff
11-10-2006, 05:49 AM
i'm making a scarf for my aunt for our christmas gift exchange in my family and i found a really pretty worsted baby alpaca yarn but i'm having issues with seeing a ribbed pattern emerge when i knit with it. i also can't find the gauge for it so i've tried knitting with 4's 8's and 9's but i'm still not seeing anything. i was also thinking of felting it but would it come out ok.. like would you be able to see the ribs? anyhoo if anyone has words of wisdom i would be eternally greatful :hug:

Pink Dandelion
11-10-2006, 07:08 AM
Some alpaca yarns don't hold shape well, so ribs will likely stretch out, cables will flatten a little, etc. For some things this is fine. It can still make a nice cuddly scarf, alpaca is extraordinarily warm too! but if you especially wanted the ribs to be obvious, then maybe you want to try a different type of yarn for the scarf?

I've seen examples of felted Alpaca and it looks great! Though if you can't see ribs now, chances are you won't see them much better after felting, but sometimes felting can pull things up more and make things (like ribs) show up better... :shrug:

AmandaC
11-10-2006, 08:59 AM
You could try doing a scrunchable scarf with it.... co a mulitple of 3 (some people also add a couple each side for a garter border) and then k2 p1 across and then the same the next row. it should end up looking like this:

txwrexnstuff
11-11-2006, 12:58 AM
i'm trying out the k2p1 and it doesn't look like your example but i think it's because one, i've only been doing this for about a week and two i can now see after some more research that alpaca isn't the best for ribbing. but i do like the weight of the scarf so far and i think with the k2p1 it will felt up nicely. i'm also going to change the stiches every few rows to get different texture and see wat happens when i do felt it. then i'll post a pic for all to see :cheering:

thanks for both your input!!!!!

Calamintha
11-12-2006, 04:58 PM
I don't find alpaca yarn to be good for any kind of textured knitting. The other thing is do you know that your aunt can wear alpaca? I find it too itchy to wear around the neck.

txwrexnstuff
11-17-2006, 03:23 AM
i'm glad you brought that up... it didn't cross my mind at first but then i did a test swatch and felted it and wore it for roughly 30 mins and didn't have a problem. i figure since my aunt and i share many allergies and skin sensitivities (avacados and avacodo oil) that since i was ok then she'll be ok... i hope. i reckon as long as i felt it nice and tight, she'll be fine. :happydance: