PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestions Please

dplantlady
11-11-2006, 01:50 PM
on what to knit (or crochet, shhhh....) from my first effort at spinning.

It's VERY uneven, very THICK and THIN. Maybe something felted would be the only way to go, I don't know. Since it's my first effort, I have no experience at all with something like this. The only homespun I've knitted before was very even and wonderful. I'm not sure exactly how much I'll have as I haven't finished the fleece yet, just the first bobbin/hank. Any ideas?

HELP, please!?! :??

Diane

Julie
11-11-2006, 01:53 PM
When I spun my first little heinous skein of yarn, some one suggested that I make a felted bowl -- I haven't done it yet, but I really like the idea of useing it for something small but useful :D

hummingbird
11-11-2006, 03:24 PM
Some of the first things I spun were in pretty small ammounts. I decided to start a blanket, so I have little squares and other shapes. I've been adding some swatches and bits trying out new techniques as I go.

dplantlady
11-11-2006, 06:39 PM
OOOOOOOHHHHH, now *there's* an interesting idea...
(I like the bowl idea too, Julie!)
but with the blanket idea, I could try out a BUNCH of different stitch patterns (I'm becoming a pattern stitch junkie) in miniature AND (put together) have it come out to be something useful! I'm just not sure if the thick & thin aspect would work with this...maybe I'd hafta just do garter stitch through the whole thing & felt it!?!

Thanks for the thoughts!

Diane :muah:

Liliyarn
11-11-2006, 07:31 PM
My first yarn was bulky singles. So, I had decided that I'd either make a very ugly felted bag or make a rug. So, I have started a rug. Everytime I spin wool or wool blends I save some roving and spin it/ ply it bulky. I knit some more on the rug. It's very odd looking, but I like it.

Pink Dandelion
11-11-2006, 09:13 PM
When I spun my first little heinous skein of yarn, some one suggested that I make a felted bowl -- I haven't done it yet, but I really like the idea of useing it for something small but useful :D

Yeah, I've thought of making a felted pot holder, hot mitss or bowl. My first handspun is a rough wool, looks like it will felt well, but a little coarse for making something to wear or cuddle up with.... I also like the idea of felting it so I can forget how nasty it was spun ;-)

mullerslanefarm
11-14-2006, 02:51 PM
Treasure your first homespun. Next year you'll be wanting to make a thick/thin novelty yarn and you won't be able to do it!!!