PDA

View Full Version : My First Sock!--NOW IN STEREO!

HamaLee
11-11-2006, 10:34 PM
The server just ate my post :verysad:
Here's another try.

I just made my first sock, hooray! It's kinda lumpy and way too big and the yarn is much too thick (worsted weight)--but I wanted some easy stuff to work with for my first try.

I've been scared of socks for over a year, I tried to start Silver's (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Beginning.htm) sock class but I felt too dangerous with those dpns poking every which way. So I gave up on socks...

Until this morning! I found another tutorial (http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/socks.html) showing how to knitting on two circs. I combined both tutorials and wound up with a sock! I started and finished this sock in less than a day. Very fun...so not terrifying! :happydance:

I must make his twin, and then next go 'round I'll try some actual sock weight yarn and smaller needles. See if I can't end up with something I could actually wear with shoes.

Ch-ch-check it out!

Mulderknitter
11-11-2006, 10:41 PM
I am sooo proud of you! I have been waiting to get my dpn's to start the scary world of socks, but I LOVE TOASTY WARM FEET so I have to try at least! way to go you :cheering: good color choice too!

CountryVariety
11-11-2006, 10:46 PM
You did a great job :cheering: and it fits perfectly :happydance: VERY VERY NICE :notworthy:

Shelley
http://countryvariety.blogspot.com/
Our Country Variety Life Blog

HamaLee
11-11-2006, 10:50 PM
Thanks! :happydance: :happydance:
Right now I have one very warm foot...the other naked one is rather jealous. :rofl:

I'ma hafta knit another one with a quickness.

mwedzi
11-12-2006, 09:54 AM
Isn't it exciting. Yay! :happydance: Quick with the 2nd sock, before SSS sets in.

kemp
11-12-2006, 12:39 PM
Great job! Sock knitting can be very additctive.

gardenmommy
11-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Very nice sock action there!

HamaLee
11-14-2006, 01:01 AM
And now I have TWO!!!
The first sock is a little big and the second a teensy bit small...but hey, I got the basics out. I was just sick of this crappy yarn. Now I'm off to buy up some delicious stuff and small needles.

I don't like the angular toe decreases, so I'll have to try something new next time.

Mulderknitter
11-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Very very nice! :happydance:
the yarn looks fine to me, what kind were you using? did you do the whole sock on dpn's?

HamaLee
11-14-2006, 10:25 AM
Very very nice! :happydance:
the yarn looks fine to me, what kind were you using? did you do the whole sock on dpn's?

The yarn is called TLC, it's very cheap acrylic. It doesn't look awful but it's icky feeling on your skin. It's also worsted weight so a bit thick for my tastes sock-wise.

I didn't use ANY dpns! I knit the socks on two circular needles, working from one to the other. I suppose it's basically working 4 dpns but the circulars have that length of cable to rest the stitches on so that the needles hang out of your way (instead of in your eyeballs!) and I'm never afraid of stitches falling off.

nonny2t
11-14-2006, 12:04 PM
Cool now both your tootsies are warm. It is going to be awhile for I get brave enough to try socks. I know it is stupid and my dd wants wants socks for Christmas, but I haven't gotten up the courage to branch out yet! I guess I could make Christmas patterned ones and if they are too big use them as Mantel Stockings! :rofl:

HamaLee
11-14-2006, 12:22 PM
I guess I could make Christmas patterned ones and if they are too big use them as Mantel Stockings! :rofl:

There ya go!
Seriously though, I know everybody says this after they tackle their first pair of socks but: They're not that hard! It's true!

Taking the leap to CO for them is the hardest part...I have a feeling a new knitting addiction may be brewing for me. It's so nice to have an FO after such a short time, but still be doing several different things/patterns/techniques on one project so it doesn't get boring.

HamaLee
11-14-2006, 12:22 PM
I guess I could make Christmas patterned ones and if they are too big use them as Mantel Stockings! :rofl:

There ya go!
Seriously though, I know everybody says this after they tackle their first pair of socks but: They're not that hard! It's true!

Taking the leap to CO for them is the hardest part...I have a feeling a new knitting addiction may be brewing for me. It's so nice to have an FO after such a short time, but still be doing several different things/patterns/techniques on one project so it doesn't get boring.

Mama Bear
11-16-2006, 10:49 AM
Great pair of first socks! Can't wait to see what follows.

Mama Bear