PDA

View Full Version : Malabrigo knots

mimi
11-13-2006, 09:23 AM
After reading so many raves about Malabrigo, I found the fabled yarn, but was surprised to see that althought it is indeed beautiful, there were two visible knots on the outside of the $17.00 skein. I decided not to buy it, not know what lurks beneath.

Is this typical of all Malabrigo?

blueeyes28
11-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Not for me I have used about 20 hanks now and found maybe 2 or 3 knots between all 20 where did you find it for 17$ a hank that is the highest I have heard I got most of mine on sale for 7.80$ and I usually pay 9.36$ a hank .

mimi
11-13-2006, 09:52 AM
I saw the knotty Malabrigo in a yarn store in Westfield, NJ. Maybe I will just take my chances and buy on line.

blueeyes28
11-13-2006, 09:52 AM
I have a great yarn shop down the road from me called Korner Knitter's I think they might ship to you there website address is www.kornerknitters.com

blueeyes28
11-13-2006, 09:59 AM
I was just on thier site and it looks like you can purchase from them via e-mail or phone I highly recommend them their yarn is always 10% off suggested retail and they have great sales every month.

skNYC
11-13-2006, 11:06 AM
42% higher than the market price and have visible knots? Doesn't look like very tempting. Go online.

Angelia
11-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Wow, I've only found a knot in one skein--I've used about 12 so far.

$17 is really pricey! :shock:

brendajos
11-13-2006, 11:11 AM
It could have been one of the seleccion privada (http://www.malabrigoyarn.com/seleccion_privada.htm)colorways. Those are usually around $17 and well worth the money I think cuz the colors are gorgeous.

I, too, have used around a dozen skeins of the stuff and the only knots i have found were the ones that were in the "bands" holding the hank together. :shrug:

CreativeCreature
11-13-2006, 12:30 PM
I see so many of you refer to it as Mmmmalabrigo but I'm in the dark here. Before this week, I had never bought 'real' yarn. I always bought yarn from a big box store. I didn't know there was such good yarn out there until recently. So, someone please explain about the wonderful Mmmmalabrigo please! 8)

brendajos
11-13-2006, 12:32 PM
buttah...it's like buttah i tell ya! It is just really delightfully soft and they hand dye it all so the colors are delicious with nice variations even in the "solids."

as much as the colors are wonderful online, you really need to feel the stuff to really understand.

CreativeCreature
11-13-2006, 12:34 PM
What do you typically make with it? Sweaters? Hats? Blankets?? Scaves? Need more info! :teehee:

brendajos
11-13-2006, 12:39 PM
well i bought a bunch recently for some baby soakers for a friend's baby. i have also made baby booties and hats...scarves...felted some for a purse...neck warmers.....etc etc

CreativeCreature
11-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Oh great! I'll have to start me own stash of the famous Mmmmalabrigo.

You say it's only about $7-9 or so per hank? That is very reasonable to me.

DragonTush
11-13-2006, 02:36 PM
I'm using my first hank of Malabrigo to make a scarf. I bought two hanks originally but went and bought another two so I can make a toque and mittens to go with the scarf.

So far I've had one knot. We'll see how it goes with the other three hanks.

I have four hanks of the Loro barranquero

Ingrid
11-13-2006, 04:53 PM
After reading so many raves about Malabrigo, I found the fabled yarn, but was surprised to see that althought it is indeed beautiful, there were two visible knots on the outside of the $17.00 skein. I decided not to buy it, not know what lurks beneath.

Is this typical of all Malabrigo?

The hanks of Malabrigo are tied with small strands of the same-color yarn. They just hold the hank and get cut off when you wind it. Maybe you saw those knots?

brownishcoat
11-13-2006, 04:57 PM
I was thinking the same thing, too, Ingy. :shrug:

My LYS sells it for $10.65/hank.

mimi
11-13-2006, 07:20 PM
I think you are right, I probably spotted those two knots and didn't look carefully enough. But the store was just JAMMED and there was a bit of pushing going on and the skeins of yarn were just tumbling out of the pigeonholes and my husband was losing patience and...and...and...you get the picture.

I am determined to go there again maybe during the week when it may be less crowded and I will report back.