PDA

View Full Version : Continental or English?

Kniki
11-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Curious which you prefer?
I've just been trying to get to grips with the continental way...

Jax3303
11-13-2006, 01:35 PM
I do both.

Jan in CA
11-13-2006, 01:39 PM
English. It's funny because I did the opposite of what everyone else seems to do. I was a crocheter first so I started out continental. I was having a hard time so I tried english and it just seemed to click! I do use both continental and english at the same time when I do fair isle though.

CarmenIbanez
11-13-2006, 01:43 PM
I am not a strictly english or continental knitter. I am a weirdo. I hold the yarn in my left hand, but I throw it instead of pick it.

knit-errant
11-13-2006, 01:47 PM
I started crocheting before I learned to knit so continental was just what I did naturally, I guess. I've never tried anything else!

(Truth be known, I had to look up what continental and English knitting were -- I wasn't sure of the difference. I don't know what I do, I just do it! :oops: )

CreativeCreature
11-13-2006, 01:49 PM
I prefer the continental method. My work seems to flow better (faster) that way. When I first started knitting I was using the english method and it was much slower going. I didn't even know there were 'methods' until recently. I gave continental a try and loved it.

MrTea
11-13-2006, 01:59 PM
I prefer continental, as it seems faster and more versitile, but my hands just don't work that way. I've tried and tried.

English by default.

P.S. It seems like you are missing a selection. Perhaps it should be: (continental, english, other)

Kniki
11-13-2006, 02:02 PM
I prefer continental, as it seems faster and more versitile, but my hands just don't work that way. I've tried and tried.

English by default.

I know what you mean...it does seem much faster...i'd love to get good at it, at the moment though... my hands are very clumsy.

HamburgKnitter
11-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Continental for me. I didn't even know there was another way of knitting until I came here. :teehee:

zkimom
11-13-2006, 02:51 PM
All the women in my family (grandmother, mother, aunts) and I knit continental. My kids are learning to knit at school and they are knitting English.

Best,
Susan xxx

DragonTush
11-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Continental. When I was perusing this site, I believe Amy said that it was faster to knit that way on one of the videos. So I picked that one to try out.

Cristy
11-13-2006, 04:04 PM
It's so nice to know there are other continental knitters like me....my snb has 42 registered members and I've done a similar poll...there are 2 of us that knit continental. Others have expressed interest but then say they don't understand when I try to teach them. Guess I'm a lousy teacher...

Cristy
11-13-2006, 04:06 PM
P.S. It seems like you are missing a selection. Perhaps it should be: (continental, english, other)

yep...that'd be nice to know...any combined knitters out there? Looks insanely confusing to me but I've never tried...

Ingrid
11-13-2006, 05:11 PM
I learned English and it's what feels like 'knitting' to me. When I try Conti, it requires too much attention. English has worked for me so far!

Stiney
11-13-2006, 05:17 PM
I learned English and it's what feels like 'knitting' to me. When I try Conti, it requires too much attention. English has worked for me so far!

Well, here I was, getting ready to learn Conti. If it's good enough for Ingrid, it's good enough for me!

:teehee:

Jeremy
11-13-2006, 05:48 PM
I learned English because thats what both my neighbor and knitting teacher both do and teach. But... I taught myself Continental using the videos here and after using it for about 2 months on a consistent basis I like it much better. Its so much less work especially switching back and forth from knitting to purling and vice versa. It did feel very clumsy to me and my tension was off for a while. It was worth the effort though.

stitchwitch
11-13-2006, 06:03 PM
English. My hands just won't seem to work any other way, must be my English heritage! :teehee:

Kirochka
11-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Ingrid, I feel much better about knitting English now!!! :heart: (I keep thinking Continental is something I should be doing... even though I know there are no shoulds in knitting... but I'm comfortable with English, and when I tried Continental I felt like I couldn't control the yarn. I may try again someday... but for now, English it is!)

Ingrid
11-13-2006, 07:05 PM
There's no right or wrong--it all turns out the same. :shrug:

cgd
11-13-2006, 08:00 PM
I was a crocheter first, but I'm strongly right-handed, so English style is the only way I can knit. I've tried Conti, but I cannot do the purl stitch that way. Count me as another English by default.

Amaurer
11-19-2006, 05:20 PM
What difference does it make? I personally prefer English, because
that's what I feel comfortable with. But when you see something
knitted, you can't tell which was used. So what does it matter?
Do what you're comfortable with. There's no right or wrong way.
It's all a matter of preference.

Anne M. :happydance:

nadja la claire
11-19-2006, 06:57 PM
I said English because I really don't know how to do Continental although I've tried but it's just very awkward for me. I remember when I first started knitting a woman at work who was a conti knitter saw me knitting. She walked over to me and told me in a somewhat condisending manner that I was doing it wrong, she then took the needles out of my hands and told me that I should be holding my yarn like so, in my left hand. I smiled and shrugged and continued to throw my yarn. Until that point I didn't know there were 2 different styles.

Nadja xxx