PDA

View Full Version : calling all teen knitters

madametj
11-13-2006, 08:08 PM
hey! post ur age and how long u've been knitting if ur a teen.

I'm 16 and was just wondering if i'm the only one out there...

Jenelle
11-13-2006, 08:29 PM
14 year old teen knitter of one year now. :waving:

madametj
11-13-2006, 08:46 PM
hi jenelle! nice to have some company.

ecb
11-13-2006, 09:08 PM
I am not a teen
so you may not want to hear from me
but my 2 Older Daughters seem to like knitting
14 Adg
and
11 bug

the baby does, but she is easily frustrated and is STILL working on her first Hat
gets maybe 15-20 stitches done each time she picks it up
should fit her OWN daughter quite well at this rate

but my 14 and 1 yo are both tallented and anjoy it
11yo has a couple bad habits (yanking the needles apart before knitting each new stitch for starters)
but they both make nice things

ecb

madametj
11-13-2006, 10:34 PM
I am not a teen
so you may not want to hear from me
but my 2 Older Daughters seem to like knitting
14 Adg
and
11 bug

the baby does, but she is easily frustrated and is STILL working on her first Hat
gets maybe 15-20 stitches done each time she picks it up
should fit her OWN daughter quite well at this rate

but my 14 and 1 yo are both tallented and anjoy it
11yo has a couple bad habits (yanking the needles apart before knitting each new stitch for starters)
but they both make nice things

ecb

cool. i'm just glad to hear of any teen/pre-teen/child knitters at all :cheering:

humblestumble
11-14-2006, 01:47 AM
I'm 19 till Friday :) I believe I've been knitting since I was 17.

Compulsive
11-14-2006, 01:37 PM
MY 10 yo has knitted for about 2 years. She just finshed her second Tychus hat and another Booga bag to gift to friends and relatives. She also just casted on for her first sweater. Dd is totally gitty at the fact she's creating what SHE wants to wear.

Happy knitting!

horve1
11-14-2006, 02:37 PM
My son - 18 - asked me to teach him. Between 2 crazy schedules, he hasn't started yet, but he keeps saying he wants to. Does that count?

madametj
11-19-2006, 04:58 PM
no more teen knitters? :pout:

Sara
11-19-2006, 06:44 PM
My 17yo DD knits. She has made gauntlets, scarves, a felted hat and other things. She's not a forum member, for which I am thankful. :teehee:

NakedPancakes
11-19-2006, 06:45 PM
I'm 14 and I've been knitting for a year and a half.

I've spent my time on easy things and am only now trying to work on more difficult things.
Cables for one...I attempted double point needles, but theyre too aggrivating to get worked out straight and I've not done too much colour changing.
I also can't figure out blocking, and I need to do my history homework that I've neglected for a week.

:grrr:

madametj
11-19-2006, 07:09 PM
My 17yo DD knits. She has made gauntlets, scarves, a felted hat and other things. She's not a forum member, for which I am thankful. :teehee:

ok, my question is why do people always call their kids a "yo"? and what is "DD"?

Orangeus
11-19-2006, 07:21 PM
I always figuere 'yo' to mean 'years old'... when not obviously refereing to a yarn over.
And I also guessed that DD/DS/DH/et cetera mean Dear Daughter, Son Husband Et certera. Could be wrong about that though.

I'm a teen knitter too... although not for much longer, since I'm 18 already. Sadly, college gets way too much in the way of my knitting time, so I haven't done too much guilt-free knitting this last month.

I try and reason that I NEED to knit on my Fetchings, because they really ARE for school... since I'm into astronomy, so I'm out at all hours of the night with my telescope, freezing to death, and my warmest jackect is too short in the arms. Hhaha. So far it isn't convinving anyone.

If I just didn't have to sleep so much... Think of how many extra hours that would give me for knitting! Hhahah.

Jenelle
11-19-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm 14 and I've been knitting for a year and a half.

I've spent my time on easy things and am only now trying to work on more difficult things.
Cables for one...I attempted double point needles, but theyre too aggrivating to get worked out straight and I've not done too much colour changing.
I also can't figure out blocking, and I need to do my history homework that I've neglected for a week.

:grrr:

You sound like me. :teehee:

Let me tell you that after using DPN's for awhile, they don't bother me much anymore. Cables get easier after the first few. You should DEFIANTLY work on color changing! Especially when making hats and wristbands. I love mixing odd colors together to see what they will look like in the end. :teehee:

If I just didn't have to sleep so much... Think of how many extra hours that would give me for knitting! Hhahah.

I agree with that. :rofl:

Braden
11-19-2006, 08:59 PM
ME. Been knitting for 4 years

madametj
11-19-2006, 09:12 PM
ME. Been knitting for 4 years

how old are u?

suuuueee
11-22-2006, 01:31 AM
i'm a teen knitter! :cheering: i'm 16, and i just learned how to knit this year. (via videos on youtube :D)

CateKnits
11-22-2006, 01:50 AM
I was a teen knitter until last Wednesday. :shrug:
I learned when I was 17, my first quarter at college.

emujust4u
11-23-2006, 11:46 PM
I'm 19, almost 20...so not technically a teen, but close enough. I just got started knitting about a week ago. The videos on here are great! I'm making a scarf with just knit stitch just to get used to it, but if I had figured out how to do this when I was a teen, I definately would've been knitting for longer! If you have any tips for me, feel free to send them my way!!!

horve1
11-24-2006, 06:09 AM
:happydance: My son, 18, did start knitting! He's about 6" into the scarf he wants to give to a friend! :woot:

madametj
11-24-2006, 02:07 PM
I'm 19, almost 20...so not technically a teen, but close enough. I just got started knitting about a week ago. The videos on here are great! I'm making a scarf with just knit stitch just to get used to it, but if I had figured out how to do this when I was a teen, I definately would've been knitting for longer! If you have any tips for me, feel free to send them my way!!!

everybody knows the real definition of a teen is any1 ages 12-21 :wink:

ok, maybe thats just me...

peanuts_017
11-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Me I'm 34 but sometimes I wish I was still a teen :woot:

I learned to knit when I was 8 with the girl scouts.

My two daughters ( 6 and 8 ) both know how to knit (although they never finished a project, I taught them when they were about 4 years old.

ilurffknit<3
12-02-2006, 06:35 AM
I am 16 wonderful years old. I live in warshington, I have been a knitter for 1 year on the dot almost xxx

I have only completed two objects in my time, because as we all know, secondary school and homework SUCK. I have made two scarves. I have mastered purling, and I just (and I mean 10 minutes ago) made my first successful cable. On the needles are some legwarmers with no pattern really.

I am one of four other knitters at my school, but sadly none wish to join this forum, or even knit socially with me. There is a girl Becca, who is a veteran and has been knitting since she was 4 or 5. There's a friend of mine Cassie, who still only does scarves but had made gauntlets and hats. My friend Emma, who just learned, and my friend Colleen, who taught me.

I dunno what else to say about myself really.

Jess_knit
12-27-2006, 08:27 PM
I'm 14, and I've known how to knit for about 5 years. However, I didn't actually learn how to knit, purl, make something more complicated than a garter scarf until about 2 weeks ago, using the videos on this site.

I'm working on the Branching Out scarf, and would like to learn how to do...pretty much everything. I think I'll try a hat next, using the magic loop method, since KP Options don't have short cables.

Ravennwings
12-27-2006, 10:25 PM
19, been knitting about 2 weeks ^_^

DreamWeaver
12-28-2006, 12:31 AM
I'm thirteen years old, and have been knitting for a year (Christmas was my 1 year knitting annaversary ^_^)

jess_hawk
12-28-2006, 01:09 PM
I'm 19 (almost 20, its very exciting :happydance: ). I learned to CO, knit, and purl at age 7 I think. But I didn't finish that scarf until middle school. In HS, I really started working on things... So I'd say I've been actually knitting for 4 years. I still amaze my grandma, who taught me but swears that she can't do all the stuff I do. :rofl: silly, silly Grandma, if you think something is cool, you don't think about how you can't do it... you just do it.

PCwombat
01-16-2007, 12:13 AM
Hey. I figured I'd reply here, and bump the thread back up, at the same time. I'm 18. Technically I learned how to knit...I guess it would be single digits, I don't remember the exact age, but I stopped and only started up again a few months ago. Scary how into it I've become.

HamaLee
01-16-2007, 12:43 AM
Sorry to highjack....but what are these gauntlets people are knitting?

ETA--google seems to suggest that they are basically wrist or arm warmers, hooray!

ambernowknits
01-16-2007, 12:58 AM
I'm 19 and I started hand knitting about...four days ago? lol. I was always horrible at anything craft-like, so I didn't bother trying to learn knitting or crochet or embroidery until now.

Gauntlets? Sound interesting...but I too, would like to know exactly what they are as far as knitting goes. Might be something I can add to my Ren Faire costume.

MarchingTwinkie3
01-18-2007, 07:48 PM
My name is Kate. I'm 17 years-old and I've been knitting for a little over a year. I'm a bit hesitant to show my early finished work, as I initially taught myself to knit the *wrong way* and it all looks funny. :oops:

TeenKnitter
01-25-2007, 07:46 AM
Hi, I'm 15 and have been knitting for about 10 months. I love knitting! lol, my parents think I'm nuts. :wink:

TeenKnitter
01-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Continuing my above post.
So yeah, since about March/April when I learned, I have made about 50 zillion things. I can knit, purl, cable, do yo's, and supposedly I am a very fast knitter. I am currently knitting a Knitty Gritty shrug, which has tonnes of different lace patterns in it. I love it. Also, I love making Mother Bear bears for charity. Their adorable and easy to make(all garter stitch if you want, no increases/decreases) the website is www.motherbearproject.org

brokenblossoms
01-25-2007, 01:30 PM
I knit. I'm 18. I've been knitting for a year...well, I tried learning a few years ago but the friend who taught me 1) taught me incorrectly (she was teaching from memory, hehe), and 2) moved away. And I finally figured it out last year. LOL!

terujoan
01-26-2007, 09:07 AM
I'm fourteen and I've been knitting since Christmas! :X: I got a scarf kit from my mum! :teehee: I've done that and a dog jacket, socks, and fingerless gloves. I'm currently trying to master cables on a hat! :happydance:

TeenKnitter
01-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Any of you know of any good teen knitting pattern books? So far I have:
Teen Knitting Club
Funky Knits
Alterknits
Stitch n' Bitch Nation
One Skein(not really a teen knitting book, but I love it!)
Not Another Teen Knitting Book
The Cool Girl's Guide to Knitting
And for magazines:
Knitscene
Knit1 Magazine
I would recommend all of the above books/magazines to teen knitters, most have varying difficulty levels of projects. I especially love One Skein, by Leigh Radford, it has great last minute gift projects.

xxx Claire

Amalia
01-27-2007, 07:15 PM

Then I am in, too!!!!
I've just turned 20...
Does it count?? :teehee:

madametj
01-27-2007, 09:56 PM

Then I am in, too!!!!
I've just turned 20...
Does it count?? :teehee:

it does to me :teehee:

madametj
01-27-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm fourteen and I've been knitting since Christmas! :X: I got a scarf kit from my mum! :teehee: I've done that and a dog jacket, socks, and fingerless gloves. I'm currently trying to master cables on a hat! :happydance:

well aren't you a quick learner! i'm still trying to muster up the courage to tackle cables. i think i'll try "fetching" (knitty.com) once i finish pu a couple of my WIPs

Jess_knit
01-27-2007, 10:22 PM
Go for it!

I just started Fetching using Paton's SWS...cables are a snap once you understand how they work. I'm currently doing Fetching, cabled socks for my mom, and preemie hats for community service, all at once :teehee:

madametj
01-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Go for it!

I just started Fetching using Paton's SWS...cables are a snap once you understand how they work. I'm currently doing Fetching, cabled socks for my mom, and preemie hats for community service, all at once :teehee:

well, thats the problem, i don't understand how they work in the least way. plus i don't have a cable needle OR a DPN :pout:

auburnchick
01-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Here (http://www.grumperina.com/rightcable.htm) are some instructions for how to do cabling without a cable needle.

madametj
01-27-2007, 10:39 PM
Here (http://www.grumperina.com/rightcable.htm) are some instructions for how to do cabling without a cable needle.

oooh! thank you VERY much for the link! :muah:
they actually don't look that hard. i'm really looking forward to trying this out, and hopefully if i master this i won't ever have to use a cable needle!

once again THANK YOU! :hug:

auburnchick
01-27-2007, 10:41 PM
You're quite welcome!

Here's (http://www.grumperina.com/knitting.htm) one more link. It's part of the same site as the other link I posted, but I didn't know if you could get to this one from the other one.

Have fun!!!!!

DonnaS
01-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Well another mom posting :teehee: But my 11 year old who will be 12 in February, picked up knitting very quickly tonite. She's about 4 rows in on a swatch square to practice but I'll put her on some bulky yarn before the evening is over and let her start on a scarf or something. She seems to be really enjoying it :)

auburnchick
01-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Well another mom posting

Oops...

I couldn't resist helping out a fellow knitter. Plus, my daughter is almost the same age as her...

Aquaria
01-28-2007, 01:06 AM
I'm 13, currently studying in highschool, grade 8.

A TOTALLY beginner at knitting...... :oops:

madametj
01-28-2007, 01:08 AM
Well another mom posting

Oops...

I couldn't resist helping out a fellow knitter. Plus, my daughter is almost the same age as her...

don't worry about it, thats totally fine. i really appreciated it. ;)

Jessica Cobb
01-29-2007, 01:55 AM
I'm 19! I've been knitting for a few weeks now. I'm addicted already.

Coolazity1
01-29-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm 16 and I've been knitting since November of last year, but I've been crocheting for 10 years (if that means anything) so I have experience in the yarn area. I've made a scarf, a hat, a few ipod socks, and one gauntlet since then, but I make almost an ipod sock each day at school, but I end up ripping it out.

Beckie
07-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Hey Guys,
I am beckie and I am 14. I have been knitting for about a year now and I love it. Its rather addictive and its great fun. Whenever I get bored I pick up my knitting needles. I am currently making a cushion cover for my mums living room.
Happy Knitting

beckie x :woohoo:

Cia
07-30-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm 17 and a half and have been knitting since I was about 16, though I learnt to knit when I was around 13, but never did it for long then.

Samsam
07-30-2007, 07:56 PM
Hey, I'm Samantha. I'm almost 16 =)

redheadrachel
07-30-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm not technically a teenager, but 20 is still pretty young :) Knitting is getting pretty popular on college campues!!

laptop_knitter
07-30-2007, 11:12 PM
Hannah, 17 yo, been knitting for about 2 years now? So very easy to loose track... Have managed to hook both sisters - 13 and 15 - as well as mother, but they're in a scarf comfort-zone right now

Rhea
07-31-2007, 12:21 AM
I'm 17 and have been knitting for 3 years =]

Namwan
07-31-2007, 03:13 AM
I'm 19. I taught myself how to knit through Amy's videos last year or so. Then I stopped knitting after making a scarf, and started with the knits and purls all over again 2 months ago. Now I'm making a vest :)

rachejm
08-05-2007, 01:11 PM
I am 19, been knitting about 9 months.

lady~PURL
08-05-2007, 04:04 PM
I am 18 been knitting since I was 16 and have been in love with sticks ever since

knit.newbie
08-05-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm 17 till friday!
just started knitting less than a month ago..hopefully ill be as good as u guys soon..

Kels Joy.
08-05-2007, 10:24 PM
15- year old knitter, been knitting for two and a half years :knitting:

i still feel retarded cus i dont know so much! anyone else feel that way?

charlottesweb
08-14-2007, 12:59 AM
16 years old i am. I ahev been knitting since i was 8 years old. I am proud to say i am addicted!!!

MaleKnitter
08-17-2007, 08:25 PM
i just turned 17 on august 13th but i started to learn knitting of november 2006, i kind of stopped learning to knit for a while because i was able to learn crochet so much easier, but in about March of this year (2007) I learned again and have knit almost non-stop since

rainberry
09-01-2007, 10:14 PM
I'm 15 and I learned to knit in March 2007.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
09-02-2007, 10:50 PM
i know he's not a teen yet, but my 7 year old is just learning how to knit... HE actually LIKES to go yarn shopping with me!!! had i bought everything today he pointed out in the yarn section of joann's, i'd be in the poor house LOL

Padawan_Knitter
09-03-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm seventeen years old and I've been knitting for about 6 months. I have just finished my first sock and am now attempting the second. Next up is an Irish Hiking Scarf!

There's really no one to knit with me, I learned everything I know from KH. (Thank you Amy!) My boyfriend seems quite interested in it though, so it's possible that he could be taught...

nerdwithneedles
01-06-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm a fourteen year old knitter, and I've known how to knit for about 6 years. My mom taught me the basics and I learned the rest from KH mostly. Only one of my friends knits, and we are attempting to get the rest of my friends knitting too.

Mirl56
01-06-2008, 03:38 PM
well, thats the problem, i don't understand how they work in the least way. plus i don't have a cable needle OR a DPN :pout:

You don't need a special cable needle - any old 'stick' will work. I've used toothpicks, a pen, pencil, short regular knitting needle, dowl, short screw driver as cable needles. In fact, the more simple/cheap the cable needle, the better. You'll loose the more expensive needles more often they you know.

princess
01-06-2008, 04:23 PM
lol, technically speaking, im a teen at 19, BUT my birthday is in march, so not much longer! :P one more year till 21 :woohoo:

treehugger14
01-06-2008, 09:54 PM
i'm going to turn 16 on the 14th, and i've been knitting for about 3 or 4 years now. I love it! I especially like it when i start doing something that my Grandma can't do, and she says something like, "i'm not even that good of a knitter" lol. She didn't teach me though, i taught myself out of a book. I loved that day. I'd been wanting to learn how to knit, i was in walmart and i was looking at the book, and i'm like, "wow, this looks fun and easy" so the next day, when we were at walmart yet again, i picked up the book, a whole bunch of white yarn, and a project sheet for an afghan. Never did get around to the afghan though, too much else to do. I can do all the basic stuff except cable. I've made a hoodie, an afghan, a couple of scarves, 2 hats, 1 fingerless glove (lol. I jus wanted to see if i could do it), and i'm in the middle of a ravenclaw bag, i've done some sort of ipod cozy, and a shawl for my cuz.I think that's all, oh and some illusiion knitting....I <3 knitting

^sorry for rambling...t

starburst
01-06-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm 19, but I'll be 20 in February. I learned to knit last Christmas

mystery
01-07-2008, 12:31 PM
My mom taught me how to knit when I was 4 years old. I dropped it after a while and picked it up again two years ago. By the way, I'm 20 yo and I guess what makes me different from other teen (not so teen anymore) knitters is that I am happily married for two years now and have a baby girl who is 14 months old :happydance:
Happy knitting everyone! :knitting:

sunflowermom1972
01-07-2008, 04:14 PM
I have a daughter. 10 and a nother daughter 12.. both are trying to learn to knit!

knittingymnast
01-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Are there any other teen knitters out there? :pout: I know it is NOT just me. :teehee:

laptop_knitter
01-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Nah, there's plenty of us on here! I'm 17 (18 in April! WHOO!) and been knitting for about 3 years.

Samsam
01-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Here's a thread a fellow tenn knitter started
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48491&highlight=teen+knitters

knittingymnast
01-27-2008, 04:58 PM
im a little younger than a teen... if you count that being a teen.... im 11..

singing_knitter
01-27-2008, 07:21 PM
I've been knitting since I was 10 :knitting: and I am now 14.:woohoo:

-:whistle:

princess
01-27-2008, 08:31 PM

um, i thought teen was any age that ends in teen? thirteen to nineteen? never heard of twenty-teen LOL!

Catey
01-27-2008, 10:23 PM
i'm 17, i've been knitting on and off for about a year and a half. i just finished a scarf. its hard for to stay focused on projects so it takes me a while to finish... anything really.
i wanna try to make some fingerless gloves but they look really hard.

snocreem
01-27-2008, 11:47 PM
im 14, and ive been knitting for bout a year now! :) im a bit of an addict

alexa119310
01-28-2008, 01:09 PM
hey
14 year old knitter
been knitting on and off for about a year
just began doing more projects though :knitting:

Sammy-Shock
01-28-2008, 01:17 PM
im 13 AND I HAVE BEEN KNITTING for 3 years now :) sorry caps lock on :S :S

knittingymnast
01-28-2008, 05:16 PM
well im 11 and have been knitting for 3 months....

knittingymnast
01-30-2008, 05:16 PM
alexa do you do gymnastics? i know an alexa who is 14 who does gymnastics. level 8 i think...

Kashi
02-05-2008, 11:02 PM
=] Right here. Teen knitter of 15. Though I've been crocheting since I was around six years old, I've only been knitting for about three months. I've already made an ADORABLE hat and two knit scarves. I'm currently working on legwarmers I've designed for myself.

I guess I'm supposed to be loyal to crochet and all, but honestly, I'm pretty much IN LOVE cloud9 with knitting. It seems to work up so much faster, and people actually know what it is when I bring it to school. (When I used to bring my crochet to school, a lot of people would stare at me as if I was from some other planet. They weren't used to seeing a hook, I guess.) Self-conscious, yes. But hey, I'm in high school.

KniftyKnitterGal
02-06-2008, 12:40 AM
I don't know if you count 18 as a teen knitter, but I guess you could count me as one. I started knitting 2 xmas's ago. Then I had to stop because I had to graduate. I started it back up again last semester in September. I have knitted quite a few things but I'm nervous about starting the big stuff. I think I will conquer my fear soon.

Happy Knitting everyone.
~Jak:knitting:

knittingymnast
02-10-2008, 10:01 AM
11 year old? PrincessBonnieJane? Yay! Meee 2! I have CO'ed my 1st SWEATER!!! Im real excited. I just need to learn how to seam....

bookkid
02-10-2008, 10:24 PM
13 year old knitter:X: !! YAY! I''ve been knitting for about two years :X: and I absolutely love it!:X: I also taught my 21 year old sister how to knit when she came home this christmas and now she's addicted. I think she counts as a teen cuz she acts like one a lot. :)

NegativeClock
02-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely 18 and have been knitting and crocheting for about two months now.

knittingymnast
02-11-2008, 08:14 PM
well aren't you a quick learner! i'm still trying to muster up the courage to tackle cables. i think i'll try "fetching" (knitty.com) once i finish pu a couple of my WIPs

um, i thought teen was any age that ends in teen? thirteen to nineteen? never heard of twenty-teen LOL!

twenty-teen....lol

Cherrelle
02-18-2008, 09:57 PM
hey! post ur age and how long u've been knitting if ur a teen.

I'm 16 and was just wondering if i'm the only one out there...

im 16 too im new