PDA

View Full Version : FO - Black Lamb

MrTea
11-13-2006, 09:46 PM
Well, it's that time of year again. Sorry about the bad photography.

MrTea
11-13-2006, 09:48 PM
The black wool seems to felt much better than the white. I had heard of this before, but didn't believe it.

Anyone know the science behind this?

Ingrid
11-13-2006, 09:49 PM
The sheep is cuuute!!

White isn't recommended for felting because the bleaching process does something to the little fibers that cause felting in the first place.

Stiney
11-13-2006, 09:50 PM
So cute!!!

gardenmommy
11-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Not baabaad! Are you going to make a whole flock?

MrTea
11-13-2006, 09:55 PM
The sheep is cuuute!!

White isn't recommended for felting because the bleaching process does something to the little fibers that cause felting in the first place.

Yea, but that can't be it as the white I use is supposed to be unprocessed. It's supposed to be the color of white sheep. It's not completely white, more of a light cream color.

ae
11-13-2006, 09:55 PM
that may be one of the cutest little animals i have ever seen...baaah i want one.

MrTea
11-13-2006, 09:57 PM
Not baabaad! Are you going to make a whole flock?

Nooo, I'll be lucky if I have time to make another befor Christmas.

Stiney
11-13-2006, 09:58 PM
Where's the pattern from?

MrTea
11-13-2006, 10:02 PM
that may be one of the cutest little animals i have ever seen...baaah i want one.

If you want to make one It's a Bev Galeskas pattern. You can buy the pattern on it's own through the internet. It is also in the book: "Encyclopedia of Knitting" by Donna Kooler.

There is a typo in the pattern that is in the book, I don't know about the one you can buy individually. Row 30 should be a knit across when knitting the BELLY part.

Ingrid
11-13-2006, 10:10 PM
The sheep is cuuute!!

Yea, but that can't be it as the white I use is supposed to be unprocessed. It's supposed to be the color of white sheep. It's not completely white, more of a light cream color.

Then it should felt fine, but different yarns do take longer than others. :shrug:

Jan in CA
11-14-2006, 02:28 AM
Awwww! I love the sheep! I have the book and pattern, but haven't tried it yet!

MrTea
11-14-2006, 10:20 AM

Jan, If you decide to try it, don't forget about Row 30. (on the belly)

Also, If you attatch the ears and tail before sewing on the belly on you will make life easier for yourself. The pattern would not even have you knit the ears until the entire lamb belly and feet are complete. Baaaad idea. :teehee:

One more thing, I make larger ears. If you use the ears described in the patttern, they come out teeny tiny. Just cast on 5 st instead of 3 and work the same pattern of stitches for bigger ears.

If anyone decides to make one and has a question, don't hesitate to ask for advice. I've made several of these lambs, I think the black one is number 5 or 6.

Mama Bear
11-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Very cute!!!

Mama Bear

Quiltlady
11-16-2006, 11:49 AM
I have the book too. I'll get it out today and take a look. Thanks for the "hints" on making it as nice as yours. :happydance:

MrTea
11-16-2006, 12:30 PM
I have the book too. I'll get it out today and take a look. Thanks for the "hints" on making it as nice as yours. :happydance:

Hey, not a problem. I'd love to hear any "hints" you might have for me after you make one. I'd love to be able to trade ideas as there is always room for improvement.

More info/tips:
I've been using Cascade Eco-Wool. Black seems to felt the best. I use US#10.5 needles. I'm dying to try other yarns, but I haven't exhausted my supply of Cascade yet.

I used to stuff them with regular old poly-fiberfill, but recently I've switched to organic wool stuffing.

I've found that finding the right spot for the ears is the most difficult part of the task. I'm always second guessing myself.

I have trouble with the eyes as well. I always feel bad stabbing holes in the little guy's face. :teehee:

Jan in CA
11-16-2006, 02:30 PM

Jan, If you decide to try it, don't forget about Row 30.

Also, If you attatch the ears and tail before sewing on the belly on you will make life easier for yourself. The pattern would not even have you knit the ears until the entire lamb belly and feet are complete. Baaaad idea. :teehee:

One more thing, I make larger ears. If you use the ears described in the patttern, they come out teeny tiny. Just cast on 5 st instead of 3 and work the same pattern of stitches for bigger ears.

Row 30? What is the problem with it? Thanks for the other hints!

MrTea
11-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Row 30? What is the problem with it? Thanks for the other hints!

Double check for yourself as it's possible you have a more recent printing of the book, but in my copy...

Row 30 (on the belly), should be a knit across. What is listed as Row 30 should be row 31 and so on and so forth.

I just remembered, it's ROW 30 ON THE BELLY, NOT the main body. Oops! I'll go back and fix the previous post. Sorry about that.

I just checked the book, the book calls it the "Inner legs and tummy".

If you don't knit across on row 30 you will end up with one leg that is much smaller than the other. It will become obvious when you are actually knitting the belly part.

kemp
11-16-2006, 05:50 PM
Adorable! There is another sheep pattern from Fiber Trends too but I haven't tried it yet.

Jan in CA
11-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the info, Mr. Tea!