PDA

View Full Version : Any of these yarns worth buying?

skNYC
11-14-2006, 12:12 AM
http://www.smileysyarns.com/riotpr.htm

or they are too cheap?

psammeadred
11-14-2006, 12:25 AM
I would go for the Cotton-Ease and the WoolEase Sportweight, and maybe the Lana (it's feltable)...not sure about the others. I'd definitely stay away from Red Heart, if I were you. yarndex.com might have some yarn reviews of the others.

suzeeq
11-14-2006, 01:59 AM
Oh man, forget the Chenille. It's a real pain to work with; not stretchy and gets worn quickly if you have to rip out and start over....

sue

Debbie
11-14-2006, 08:27 AM
All of the prices are great ... so depending on what you want to make you would get a bargain .... Do you get to go to the sale ?????????????? I would love to jump into all those bargain bins and fight for my rightful yarn ... not that that would ever happen with a bunch of knitters . "Oh, did you want this yarn , here you go ... oh ... you like the colorway in my basket... you may have it "..... hmmmmmm.

I purchase online from Smiley's and am very satisfied !

Ingrid
11-14-2006, 08:54 AM
I would jump at the Encore DK at that price. You could even double it if you want worsted weight.

Compulsive
11-14-2006, 10:27 AM
If I were attending the sale, I would purchase:

Filatura Lanarota Alpaca
Bernet Lana for felting projects
Encore--this is a VERY soft and wool like acrylic

mwedzi
11-14-2006, 10:52 AM
i would definitely get the plymouth encore dk. maybe the "sox" yarn would be okay, too?

feministmama
11-14-2006, 11:41 AM
I went to the regular Smileys internet yarn sales page. THey have Cotton-ease. I thought it was discontinued? :??

suzeeq
11-14-2006, 01:52 PM
Cotton Ease was discontinued, but Smiley's had a few leftovers. Lion is bringing it back in a while.

sue

DragonTush
11-14-2006, 01:57 PM
I'd buy that Bernat Sox in a heartbeat, the Lion Brand Cotton-Ease, the Bernat merino wool sounds like it would be good for felting.

Wow those are some good prices...not much I wouldn't at least take a look at.

psammeadred
11-14-2006, 02:34 PM
I don't know if I would get the Sox - the sox I made from it make my feet sweaty, and after washing, the yarn (100% synthetic) gets all icky-fuzzy. The Crazy Hot colorway (rainbow stripes) is what I used, and they don't look nearly as cool as they did before washing.

skNYC
11-14-2006, 02:37 PM
So far we got:

Lion Brand Cotton-Ease
Lion Brand Wool-east
Bernat Sox
Bernat Lana
Plymouth Encore DK
Filatura Lanarota Puno
Filatura Lanarota Royal Linen
Grignasco Top Print
Lion colorspun
Reynolds Lite Lopi

CarmenIbanez
11-14-2006, 02:40 PM
I bought the royal linen from them and REALLY liked it.

skNYC
11-14-2006, 02:47 PM
I bought the royal linen from them and REALLY liked it.

Is it $25 a bag a good price? What did you make with it ?

Calamintha
11-14-2006, 03:11 PM
I've bought the Grignasco Top Print from them. It is a really nice sport weight alpaca yarn with marled colors. Made a beautiful shawl from it for a friend.

aineepooh1
11-14-2006, 04:32 PM
yeah the bag sale is only once a year for you people that live up NORTH!! smiley's has good prices and the list has the woolbale which is 100% wool which woulld be great for felting bags or anything else you wanted to try. I think there are several yarns worth checking in too. I know many people don't like acrlyic but the Lion colorspun is a lovely (to me) varigeated yarn!! If I had the money I would definitely check it out!!
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

kemp
11-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Depends on what you are looking for, but Lopi is great for felting.