PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean by "good for felting yarn"?

skNYC
11-15-2006, 01:07 PM
kemp recommanded the Lopi for Smiley's yarn sale in my other threat. What does it exactly mean? Don't all non-treated wool yarns felt?

Jan in CA
11-15-2006, 01:29 PM
I don't know which thread you are referring to, but maybe she recommended it because she's used it an knows that it felts well. Not all wool felts the same, some are better than others. I know I have a link that compares wools, but I can't find it at the moment.. :thinking:

skNYC
11-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Jan:
Did you mean felting more is felting better?

Jan in CA
11-15-2006, 02:29 PM
Jan:
Did you mean felting more is felting better?

What? :??

skNYC
11-15-2006, 03:07 PM
Not all wool felts the same, some are better than others.

How do you define a yarn that felt better than others? It shrinks more?

brownishcoat
11-15-2006, 03:08 PM
I took that to mean that the wool felts faster and/or with better results, ie. less pilling.

skNYC
11-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Oh, got it. Thanks!

kemp
11-15-2006, 03:56 PM
I took that to mean that the wool felts faster and/or with better results, ie. less pilling.

yep...that is what I meant. Sorry for not being more clear.

Ingrid
11-15-2006, 04:24 PM
It could mean, too, that it's too rough to wear, or that it pills a lot--so you might as well felt it.

felted-bag
11-15-2006, 05:55 PM
To me a yarn that felts well is one that:
1) feltes quickly
2) felts without stitches showing
3) creates a nice fabric.

I have not had good luck with Lopi. It takes 5 times through my machine for me to get rid of the stitch definition. In single ply yarns, I like Lamb's Pride worsted best and Manos (Manos would be my first choice if it weren't so pricey).

Here's a link to a summary on felting yarns (http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/jmay/FeltingYarns.pdf)-- distilled from the Knitty Forum by "Bean Knitting".

skNYC
11-15-2006, 06:10 PM
felted bag: I love your screen name :roflhard:
Thanks for the input :)

kemp
11-15-2006, 07:32 PM
To me a yarn that felts well is one that:
1) feltes quickly
2) felts without stitches showing
3) creates a nice fabric.

I have not had good luck with Lopi. It takes 5 times through my machine for me to get rid of the stitch definition. In single ply yarns, I like Lamb's Pride worsted best and Manos (Manos would be my first choice if it weren't so pricey).

Here's a link to a summary on felting yarns (http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/jmay/FeltingYarns.pdf)-- distilled from the Knitty Forum by "Bean Knitting".

hmmm...good to know. I had great success with Lopi but maybe it depends on your washer strength, temp, etc.