PDA

View Full Version : So sad - allergic. :(

knitaddict
11-16-2006, 12:57 AM
I just got some Elsebeth lavold Chunky Al to make a scarf. I'm 2 repeats into the pattern of 21 repeats and I am itching so badly that I had to take a shower. My fingers where the yarn touches is bright red & swollen and my eyes feel like they're being scratched out of my head. :(

CreativeCreature
11-16-2006, 01:42 AM
Wow! I've never heard of that happening. So sorry! And hope you're okay.

GrandmaLori
11-16-2006, 01:45 AM
I always wondered, could you knit with those really close fitting medical exam gloves? Of course, you'll never wear the scarf yourself if you're allergic, but you could gift it still.

Lieke
11-16-2006, 03:14 AM
That really sucks. I know how bad and itchy it feels, although I never tried knitting with wool. (I knew I was allergic to it before I started knitting) I hope your fingers get well soon.

janelanespaintbrush
11-16-2006, 07:14 AM
:hug: Claritin or Benadryl should help with allergic reactions.

Yarnlady
11-16-2006, 08:35 AM
Try washing the yarn. Oftentimes the allergic reaction is to the chemicals used in processing, not to the wool itself. Certainly worth the effort to see. :shrug:

Ingrid
11-16-2006, 09:49 AM
I agree that there may be some dye or processing materials that you're sensitive to. If you were truly this sensitive to wool, it would have shown up a long time ago.

balpal
11-16-2006, 10:55 AM
:happydance: As one who has allergies to the fabric dyes and also the nickel in some of my needles, as well as a case of excema, I've found knitting with close fitting white gloves have solved most of these problems. These can be bought at chain drugstores or on the net. Hope this helps.

koolbreeze
11-16-2006, 11:18 AM
WOW i've neverheard of that. hope you get better soon so you can go back to knitting... something eles though!

knitaddict
11-16-2006, 12:58 PM
TY for all the suggestions. :) I knew I was allergic to wool before I bought it, but after working with the Malabrigo I thought it'd be ok... that was such a dream to knit with and no allergy problems!

I'm going to the OB today for my prenatals so I'll check to see if I can take Benadryl. And I have some latex gloves that I use in cooking so I'll wear a pair of those to knit with.

Thanks again!

Jan in CA
11-16-2006, 02:06 PM
I wonder if glove liners would work..they have to be close fitting to fit under other gloves. I have some and they are pretty neat.

This type of thing, but you can get them at most sporting goods stores.
Glove liners (http://www.amazon.com/SSG-Silk-Winter-Glove-Liners/dp/B0002T8ZHE)

janelanespaintbrush
11-16-2006, 02:12 PM
It just occurred to me that a yarn with the name chunky al might have alpaca in it... I just looked it up on yarndex and it is indeed 50% alpaca, 50% wool. Have you worked with alpaca before? If not, you have another possible culprit.