PDA

View Full Version : OT - Incredibly stupid yet fun Xmas gift idea

MrTea
11-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Thought you gals (and guys) might get a kick out of this...

www.octodog.net

The frankfurter converter.

I ordered a couple yesterday. Can't wait to try it. This is just my kind of stupid.

ann in ma
11-16-2006, 06:32 PM
I'm slightly embarassed to say that we own one of these.
I am honest in saying that my DH was the purchaser.
And in his defense, we *do* have a 4 year old who loves hot dogs.

And frankly, it works great ... but don't try it with all-beef hot dogs, because it won't work with those. We haven't yet tried turkey hot dogs.

You can, by the way, do the same thing by slicing the lower half of the hot dog into quarters to make 'legs' and then plunging into boiling water.

We like to garnish with angel hair pasta to make an Octo-Mermaid ... some nori and bits of carrot or what have you to make the face.

MrTea
11-16-2006, 06:41 PM
I'm slightly embarassed to say that we own one of these.

:roflhard: Obviously you have more class than I.

And frankly, it works great ...

:roflhard: Pun intended?

I ordered one as a gag gift for my sister and I just had to order one for myself.

janelanespaintbrush
11-16-2006, 06:50 PM
Yeah, I was thinking you could probably just use a knife... I wonder why it doesn't work with all beef hot dogs. :??

ebrperk
11-16-2006, 06:52 PM
I saw one of those on Ham on the Street on the Food Network. I think it is great for little kids to have fun with their food.

MrTea
11-16-2006, 06:57 PM
I saw one of those on Ham on the Street on the Food Network. I think it is great for little kids to have fun with their food.

"Grown" men like to have fun with their food too.

knitaddict
11-16-2006, 06:59 PM
We used to eat octodogs when I was growing up in the dark ages (meaning before the octodog maker was invented lol) and all my mum did was cut the base with a knife. She used to poke the holes for the eyes using a toothpick and would serve it over mac and cheese that she'd added green food coloring to. YUM!

MrTea
11-16-2006, 07:01 PM
I'll bet it takes a steady hand to do it with a knife.

Jan in CA
11-16-2006, 07:25 PM
That looks pretty funny! I bet kids would love it!

cookworm
11-18-2006, 01:11 AM
Tea--my dad LOVES hot dogs--this would be such a great stocking stuffer for him! Thanks for posting this!

Stiney
11-18-2006, 02:51 AM
I think it's an awesome gift.

But then, the last two birthday presents I gave were horrible Christmas novelty ties. One was green with Christmas lights on it, the other was Red poinsettias.

For October birthdays, too. :rofl: