PDA

View Full Version : What size needles for newbie to begin with? Help!!

suzq85
11-16-2006, 06:42 PM
I am going to order the Knit Pick options circular set, but would like to pick up three or four straight sets too, probably in bamboo. Since I'm just a newbie, would you give me an idea of what sizes I might need to start with? I want to start on scarves for a while. Also please, if you don't mind, where's the best shop online to pick up some good straight needles. I live in a small Southern town and we don't even have a yarn store, so the internet is my only choice, other than Walmart, which I live just down the street from, but I figure it's not the "place" for knitting supplies. I have checked, but no bamboo needles.

Thanks! :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah:

janelanespaintbrush
11-16-2006, 06:47 PM
You really don't need straights if you have the circulars, but if you insist, I'd get some fairly large sizes for doing beginner scarves. On her getting started (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/getting_started/) page, Amy says US 10 1/2 is ideal for beginners. The larger the needles, the faster the project will go.

MrTea
11-16-2006, 06:48 PM
You won't "need" the straight needles. I'd save my money or buy more sizes of circs if I were you.

You can knit back and forth on circs. Most knitters like them better as they don't interfere with chair arms and you can slip the work onto the cable when not in use. This makes it harder for the work to slip off the needle.

MrTea
11-16-2006, 06:51 PM
You really don't need straights if you have the circulars, but if you insist, I'd get some fairly large sizes for doing beginner scarves. On her getting started (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/getting_started/) page, Amy says US 10 1/2 is ideal for beginners. The larger the needles, the faster the project will go.

I concur. The larger stitches will make it much easier to see what you are doing. You will learn faster with larger needles.

lissalue
11-16-2006, 06:54 PM
i have been knitting for three weeks now, and am using size 11 and 13 currently. i like being able to see my stitches and it goes pretty fast too!!! welcome to the knitting world!! it is really fun!!! :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: