PDA

View Full Version : OT - Funny cooking story

Jackie M.
11-16-2006, 11:13 PM
I've heard a lot of funny stories of young people learning to cook, but today I heard another one that kept me giggling. A friend came in to our library today and her 15 year old daughter was with her. They checked out some cookbooks. The mother then told us what the daughter did the previous night. Reading instructions from a book it said to "grease the bottom of pan", so (bless her heart) the young cook, turned the pan upside down and greased it. She asked her mom, "Why do they want you to grease the bottom of the pan?"

:teehee:

Ingrid
11-16-2006, 11:20 PM
:rofl: I'm glad she didn't light the stove! Or did she? :shock:

Stiney
11-17-2006, 12:39 AM
So, I'm like 16, right? I come home from school one Friday in the winter and decide that we must have chocolate chip cookies. I'm too young to drive. and we don't have the logs in the fridge, and I want it to be a surprise. So I lug out a cookbook and mix all the ingredients.

And I look around and find the flour and add it. "That's funny, didn't remember the flour being in a tupperware."

Put it in to bake.

The smoke alarm goes off. The smell of burnt cookies fills the air.

Turns out I'd added confectioner's sugar, and the cookies melted when I put them in the oven and ran off the cookie sheet and burned on the bottom of the oven.

I wasn't allowed to cook again for a loooong time.

faymo
11-17-2006, 03:06 AM
:roflhard: I've been there and done that. I just can't cook :wall:

gingerbread
11-17-2006, 10:47 AM
:roflhard: This happened to my sisters best friend. She was just married and was having both families over for Thanksgiving. Everything was going pretty good then she poked the Turkey to see if it was done. Well once the fork came out some of the juices flowed out. She put a band-aid on it. I don't think she has lived that down. Her husband thankgoodness is a chef and he does all the cooking. She clean up. :roflhard:

Then my husband who worked for the Gas Company was sent to this house, the guy was at his wits end. He couldn't get the stove opened. When my husband got there the oven was cool enough for him to open it. All that was left of the Turkey was ash and some bones!
:pout: All he could tell the guy was to run it again and fininsh cleaning the oven. I don't know what happened after he left. But I bet the wife wasn't to happy.

nonny2t
11-17-2006, 11:09 AM
As you can see from my ticker we got married 34 years ago tomorrow so Thanksgiving is always a week later. With that being said, two of my husband's single friends bought a huge turkey and basically invited themselves to dinner. I was 19 had never cooked anything more involved than Rice Krispie squares in my life but I was too embarrassed to tell anyone.

I unwrapped the turkey, put it in a pan, put it in the oven and set it to cook according to the wrapper directions. I lived with my grandparents when I was in high school and because she fed so many at the holidays, she always made her dressing outside the bird, so I did too! I had bought a box of croutons, put them in a baking dish and put them in the oven! :roflhard: :roflhard: Our little apartment about an hour into this started smelling like burnt toast and burning paper. (I didn't know there were innards in the turkey and left them in there and they were wrapped in paper! :roflhard: The "dressing" was nada, but after dh helped me get the stuff out of the middle, the turkey came out ok.

Faye

mulene
11-17-2006, 11:10 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard:

stitchwitch
11-17-2006, 11:17 AM
So, I'm like 16, right? I come home from school one Friday in the winter and decide that we must have chocolate chip cookies. I'm too young to drive. and we don't have the logs in the fridge, and I want it to be a surprise. So I lug out a cookbook and mix all the ingredients.

And I look around and find the flour and add it. "That's funny, didn't remember the flour being in a tupperware."

Put it in to bake.

Turns out I'd added confectioner's sugar, and the cookies melted when I put them in the oven and ran off the cookie sheet and burned on the bottom of the oven.

See now, you could have avoided the whole thing by eating half of the cookie dough like I do before placing them in the oven. Then you would have discovered your mistake prior to setting off the smoke detectors! :roflhard:

Stiney
11-17-2006, 11:21 AM

Put it in to bake.

See now, you could have avoided the whole thing by eating half of the cookie dough like I do before placing them in the oven. Then you would have discovered your mistake prior to setting off the smoke detectors! :roflhard:

But it didn't taste "wrong." Maybe a teensy bit too sweet, but overall, it tasted like chocolate chip cookie dough.

jdee
11-17-2006, 11:22 AM
My dad loves my pecan pie, so every year, the task of making pecan pies belongs to me. I remember one year, to make them extra special, I decided that I was going to make my own pie crust, instead of buying ready maid shells. I found a recipe in a church cook book called "fool proof Pie crust" and decided to use that one. Well, either it was not entirely "fool proof", or I'm dumber than a fool, because next thing I know, I'm standing in the kitchen, with a huge wad of dough in my hands, that I could have sliced and used to roof the house. :roflhard:

From now on...I buy the shells :roflhard:

Jackie M.
11-17-2006, 11:30 AM

Awww, but your intentions were good and that's what counts.

Stiney
11-17-2006, 11:32 AM

Awww, but your intentions were good and that's what counts.

I'm not complaining about the "not having to cook" thing. It's the only good thing about still living at home. :rofl:

Jan in CA
11-17-2006, 01:18 PM
When I was about 11 my friend and I decided to make chocolate chip cookies. We mixed everything up, put them on the pan and into the oven. As we were starting to clean up we see the unopened bag of chips. How on earth we forgot those I have no idea! So we take the cookies out of the oven, put them back in the bowl with the rest of the dough and add the chips. The warm dough melted the chips and now they were chocolate. Still sounded good to us so we put them back in the oven. They came out like chocolate rocks and were pretty much inedible as I recall.

:teehee:

hummingbird
11-17-2006, 01:41 PM
Well, I guess we're not the only ones who locked the turkey in the oven. Last Thanksgiving my fiance was making the turkey at my parents house. Things were going fine and the turkey went in the oven. Then someone bumped the lever to put the oven to cleaning mode. Good thing the turkey was supposed to be in there for hours. My dad and fiance took apart the oven to get it out of cleaning mode. It was pretty crazy for a while, but the turkey tasted great in the end.

Jackie M.
11-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Why do most funny stories happen on Thanksgiving? :??

Stiney
11-17-2006, 03:01 PM
:shrug:

One year on Thanksgiving my mom screwed something up while making the the candied yams. We wound up with buttery caramel, because it hardened when it hit the yams. Sooooo yummy. I wish she could do it again. :pout: