PDA

View Full Version : Superwash wools

mornnen
11-17-2006, 12:49 PM
Hi All--

Haven't posted in a while-- real life interfered for a long time. But I am back with a question or two.

The first has to do with superwash wools. I have used knitpicks swish, and like it. However, they do not have an orange and my dad wants a hat out of black and orange. So I have searched for other superwash wools. Some specify that the wool is merino, others don't. So here's my question-- are all superwash wools made from merino? I just don't want to use a scratchy yarn for this hat.

Second, has anyone used the elann Peruvian highland wool? The site says it is virgin wool (whatever that means) and soft but I'd like some potentially unbiased opinion.

Thanks
Mornnen

janelanespaintbrush
11-17-2006, 12:57 PM
Hi Mornnen!

Not all superwash wools are merino, but I believe that superwash wools are generally softer than non-superwash wools because of the processing they go through. (ETA: I just found a lot of comments from people who do not think this is the case, and that in fact, superwash wools feel "fake.") Definitely look for something that specifically says superwash merino, if that's what you want. The highland wool is supposed to be comparable to WOTA, I think. (Haven't tried it, though.) Probably not soft enough, and not machine washable, i don't think.

candicane
11-17-2006, 01:01 PM
I have fondled Lorna's Laces superwash and Artyarns. The are both merino and soft. I have washed the Artyarns in the gentle cycle. I would wear it against my skin.

I have some other (I think a German brand) washable wool in my stash. It is not as soft, so I haven't decided what to do with it yet. Maybe a blanket for the car.

candice

Lisa Kay
11-17-2006, 01:11 PM
I like the Mission Falls 1824 Wool (http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/Mission_Falls_Yarn-1824_Wool_Yarn-2501.html). It's 100% merino wool, superwash, and very soft.

My LYS has some Lorna's Laces that has been calling my name, too. :inlove:

janelanespaintbrush
11-17-2006, 01:14 PM
Here (http://isisrising.typepad.com/isisrising/2006/10/just_what_the_h.html) is some great info I just found about the superwash process. Sort of tangential to your question, but very informative!