PDA

View Full Version : "Knitting with Balls" "Men's" knitting b

MrTea
11-17-2006, 03:17 PM
A few days ago I ordered the book "Knitting with Balls - a hands-on guide to knitting for the modern man". It just arrived yesterday.

I was really looking forward to this book, but unfortunately it's just aweful, franky even insulting.

The author of the book must assume that male knitters are effeminate.

Also, half of the patterns are completely useless and seem to be there just to take up space. The other half are either geared toward gay men (not that there is anything wrong with that, but it certainly doesn't suit me) or are nothing you can't get elswhere for free.

The most infuriating thing is that the pattern for sweater on the cover (which actually looks great) is NOT included in the book.:grrr:

So disappointing.

I'd like to go into more detail, but I didn't want to be too negative. I just wanted to warn others that might be considering purchasing this book.

I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone might have about this book.

humblestumble
11-17-2006, 03:19 PM
Yea, I took a look through the book at the bookstore, and it was so unappetizing. I couldn't believe the stuff they put in there. I'm not a guy, but in my opinion, it didn't seem to be what most guys would want.

Stiney
11-17-2006, 03:23 PM
That's so upsetting! Did you order it from Amazon on bn.com? They have decent return policies. And if you ordered from bn.com, you can bring it in to a Barnes & Noble and exchange it or get a store credit. (If you want the credit to your card, you have to ship it back and bn.com has to process the return.)

There's no point in keeping something you find useless, so you might as well exchange it for a book you'll actually use and read!

MrTea
11-17-2006, 03:35 PM
That's so upsetting! Did you order it from Amazon on bn.com? They have decent return policies. And if you ordered from bn.com, you can bring it in to a Barnes & Noble and exchange it or get a store credit. (If you want the credit to your card, you have to ship it back and bn.com has to process the return.)

There's no point in keeping something you find useless, so you might as well exchange it for a book you'll actually use and read!

Yup, it's going back.

skNYC
11-17-2006, 03:38 PM
That is awful! Next time before buying a book on the internet, you might want to go to a local bk store or libraray to see what's really in the contents.

Yikes. I am sorry to hear about it.

MrTea
11-17-2006, 04:26 PM
That is awful! Next time before buying a book on the internet, you might want to go to a local bk store or libraray to see what's really in the contents.

Yikes. I am sorry to hear about it.

Naa, it's no problem to send it back.

MrTea
11-17-2006, 04:28 PM
I really like that sweater on the cover. WHY WHY WHY is it not in the book!?

Ingrid
11-17-2006, 04:36 PM

I don't get that at all! :??

MrTea
11-17-2006, 04:44 PM

I don't get that at all! :??

Yea, it's crazy. There is a sweater inside that looks similar, but it has a huge plunging V neck (I don't know what else to call it, but whatever it is it looks terrible). The one on the cover with the regular collar is just not in there. :wall:

All other problems with that book aside. I would keep it just for that sweater pattern.

MrTea
11-17-2006, 05:07 PM

Let me elaborate on the "useless" aspect, just so it doesn't seem like Iím being unfair.

these patterns are just regular dumb...
a camouflage coffee cozy.
a beer bottle cozy.
a knit bi-fold wallet.

But the one that takes the cake is the "utility cloth", which is basically just a rag. They show a guy polishing his motorcycle with it. Like I'm going to spend all that time knitting a beautiful rag, to then get all greasy with motor oil and axle grease and have to just throw it away. That's what disposable shop rags are for. All it is a simple dishrag/baby blanket pattern. Only in size somewhat larger than a dishrag and smaller than a baby blanket. But they call it a "utility cloth" so it's for a man. :eyes:

The vast majority of the other patterns are pink or have bright pastel or other feminine colors, frilly edges, really fruity stuff. I've seen ladies patterns that are more masculine. I just assume leave the house wearing a blouse and a pair of kulats.

skNYC
11-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Where did you buy it from? you can leave a bad review.

Stiney
11-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Sounds pretty useless, all right. Though I believed you the first time. :)

I gotta admit, I've been thinking of trying to knit a wallet for myself. I keep deciding that the stuff in my bag would shred the stitches, and decide not to do it. Also, it wouldn't be sturdy enough for all the cards I have.

MrTea
11-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Where did you buy it from? you can leave a bad review.

I did.

MrTea
11-17-2006, 05:25 PM
I gotta admit, I've been thinking of trying to knit a wallet for myself. I keep deciding that the stuff in my bag would shred the stitches, and decide not to do it. Also, it wouldn't be sturdy enough for all the cards I have.

They do suggest a %100 nylon yarn, it would probably be durable enough. But it would be way too thick I think. Plus, how well could it fit the cards? Seems like depending on your gauge they would either just fall out or bee to tight to get them in and out easily. I've found that the most imortant characteristic a wallet can have is to be thin.

Sorry to get off topic, but I really like these things. Super light, super thin and super durable (so far anyway). The cards go in and out fast but also holds them securely. It's also clear so you can show somone your ID without even having to open your wallet. A good stocking stuffer.

http://www.thejimi.com/

Jan in CA
11-17-2006, 07:04 PM
Huh. That's really odd! The weird patterns I mean. I've seen some general knitting books that I thought were pretty useless, too... at least for me. :shrug:

MrTea
11-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Huh. That's really odd! The weird patterns I mean. I've seen some general knitting books that I thought were pretty useless, too... at least for me. :shrug:

I wish I could scan some of the pictures in the book to show you all. I assume that would be illegal though. If any of you happen to end up in a bookstore, I urge you to pick up a copy and flip though it, just for entertainments sake. Words can only say so much.

Ingrid
11-17-2006, 07:49 PM
:teehee: I just read a quote from someone saying,

"I'd rather use my hands, but if it impresses the ladies. . . " :rofl:

stitchwitch
11-17-2006, 08:01 PM
Poor Mr. Tea! :pout:

feministmama
11-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Here's the sweater on the cover. It *does* look nice

Stiney
11-17-2006, 08:44 PM

They do suggest a %100 nylon yarn, it would probably be durable enough. But it would be way too thick I think. Plus, how well could it fit the cards? Seems like depending on your gauge they would either just fall out or bee to tight to get them in and out easily. I've found that the most imortant characteristic a wallet can have is to be thin.

Exactly. Impractical in the long run. A change purse, maybe. But not a wallet.

Sorry to get off topic, but I really like these things. Super light, super thin and super durable (so far anyway). The cards go in and out fast but also holds them securely. It's also clear so you can show somone your ID without even having to open your wallet. A good stocking stuffer.

http://www.thejimi.com/

Neat wallets. Not really my style, though. Right now I'm using a men's wallet I bought at Hot Topic when I was a teenager. It has blue flames emrboidered on the side. My last wallet was very grown up, but after it got run over by a car or two, the snap would no longer closed and it was all beat up and ugly. I'll get a new one eventually. Since I don't really do the wallet in my pocket thing, thinness isn't a huge problem. The rare occasions when I don't have a bag, I either have pockets and take only the essentials (usually ID, money, maybe a bank card, phone, keys depending on where I am) or take the bare essentials and :flirt: at a boy to get him to hold on to it for me. In a dire emergency, of course, I always have my bra. :teehee:

And I agree with feministmama, the cover sweater is nice. It's a shame it's not in the book. :!!!:

BinkyKat
11-17-2006, 08:44 PM
I saw this book was out and found it at the local B&N thinking it would have patterns my DH would like me to knit for him. But no way... he's not totally against anything stylish, but nothing in here would be useful for him. I was mad too that the sweater on the cover is not in the book...duh! DH is pretty middle of the road but is particular about sweaters. I would love to knit one for him, but i don't want to spend the money and time if it turns out to be not the right texture or style. the itch factor is managed easy enough, but he has particular likes and dislikes on the the collar,cuff,waistband of his sweaters if he ever wears one.
If only I knew how to design my own pattern...someday :wall:

Ingrid
11-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Have you seen these? (http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/kategori_oversikt.php)

EDITED: I tried to link to the men's patterns, but they didn't come up. :shrug: There are a lot of nice ones, though.

skNYC
11-17-2006, 09:31 PM
Ingrid:
There's no pattern at the link.

KellyK
11-18-2006, 10:36 AM
I just got Men in Knits (http://knitpicks.com/books/itemid_30418/books_display) and I REALLY like it. There are some vests and carigans that DH would never wear, but I LOVE the pullovers, and almost ALL the patterns are also re-sized for little boys!

And, this seems like a good place to vent about the fact that I get SO ANGRY when books are listed with no extra views of the patterns inside. Knitpicks is SO good about pictures... Amazon, not so much. Why would I buy anything like a PATTERN BOOK without being able to preview the patterns first?!?!? :-x

jolenel
11-18-2006, 01:40 PM
I've seen ladies patterns that are more masculine. I just assume leave the house wearing a blouse and a pair of kulats.

This one almost made me spit out my coffee. :roflhard:

I can't believe they made that book so useless! What were the writers/editors/publishers thinking? I'll remember never to recommend this to any men I know who want to take up knitting.

That cover sweater is pretty nice. I don't know that I'd want to make a knit wallet either. It seems like something with a knit texture would be harder to shove into a back pocket too.

VickiIL
11-18-2006, 06:58 PM
I just got Men in Knits (http://knitpicks.com/books/itemid_30418/books_display) and I REALLY like it. There are some vests and carigans that DH would never wear, but I LOVE the pullovers, and almost ALL the patterns are also re-sized for little boys!

I really like this book too. I bought it a while ago and my DH like many of the sweaters in at and I would make almost any of the ones that have been sized for boys for my boys.

I saw the other book at B&N the other day but had promised myself I was not there to buy a knitting book so I didn't even pick it up. I guess I didn't miss anything huh?

feministmama
11-18-2006, 08:51 PM
I went to my LBS last night and took at this book. I think the sweater on the cover IS in the book. I think the guy on the cover is wearing one of the sweaters backwards. There is a sweater inthere with a long v-neck that looks exactly like the sweater on the cover but without the long v-neck. So Either they made two sweaters, one with lon V neck and one without, and left out instructions for different neck line or I'm going blind. Cuz its the same yarn.

horve1
11-19-2006, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the heads up about this book. I had thought about getting it for my son if he ever follows through and actually learns to knit like he said he would a couple of weeks ago.

MrTea
11-19-2006, 09:31 AM
I went to my LBS last night and took at this book. I think the sweater on the cover IS in the book. I think the guy on the cover is wearing one of the sweaters backwards. There is a sweater inthere with a long v-neck that looks exactly like the sweater on the cover but without the long v-neck. So Either they made two sweaters, one with lon V neck and one without, and left out instructions for different neck line or I'm going blind. Cuz its the same yarn.

Yea, I thought of that too, but why would someone wear a sweater backwards? I suppose it's possible.

Usually books will have an explanation of what is on the cover on the first page with the publishing info. I can't find anything.

They do use the same or very similar yarn for the "boot cut sweater" but that plunging v neck looks awful. Plus my man-boobs would probably be falling out of that thing. Either that or my chest hair, I would have to get some gold chains or something to balance it out.

It could be the "boot cut sweater" only with a different neckline, but if they left out the instructions for the regular neckline, isn't that the same as it not being there at all? It doesn't look like something that could be easily adapted.

I also thought that it could be the "tribal sweater" pattern just with that different yarn and no intarsia pattern, but that sweater has a different neck line too.

MrTea
11-19-2006, 09:40 AM
Have you seen these? (http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/kategori_oversikt.php)

EDITED: I tried to link to the men's patterns, but they didn't come up. :shrug: There are a lot of nice ones, though.

Thanks for the link Ingrid. :muah: It looks like that site has lots of great sweater patterns.

cheesiesmom
11-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I find most of the knitting books I buy are pretty useless. I belonged to crafters choice for a while, but found I'd pay $20 or $25 for a book and there wouldn't be anything I really wanted to knit.

I get most of my patterns by googling or from knittingpatternscentral.com. or the yarn company sites

Then, of course, I'm constantly downloading patterns and I have "stacks" of patterns I want to make, all loose and disorganized. I also don't remember which ones I've printed out and then I print'em again...and again, and again. :wall:

My knitting throne is awash in loose paper.

Jeremy
11-19-2006, 07:34 PM
I don't really get why some people, including apparently this publisher, think that men who knit just want to knit for men. I've gotten the greatest pleasure knitting things for my wife, daughter in law and a woman friend. Probably just like anyone else, I enjoy knitting stuff that's interesting or looks good or that I want to give as a gift. As Mr. Tea notes, who would want to knit a rag?

pauly81
11-19-2006, 08:33 PM
I recieve that book in the mail yesterday also. The patterns did not inspire me at all, but I do want to make some of the utility clothes. I injoy knitting girly (if thats what you want to call it) projects as gifts.

feministmama
11-19-2006, 11:34 PM
They do use the same or very similar yarn for the "boot cut sweater" but that plunging v neck looks awful. Plus my man-boobs would probably be falling out of that thing. Either that or my chest hair, I would have to get some gold chains or something to balance it out.

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

So what is the suggested yarn for the "boot cut sweater"?

brownishcoat
11-20-2006, 10:10 AM
What if you made the V-neck sweater with 2 backs? Would that work?

cheesiesmom
11-20-2006, 10:12 AM
Is a boot-cut sweater something that gets tucked in your boots?? :teehee:

mulene
11-20-2006, 11:19 AM

OK now THAT would make me really quite mad. I'd be writing to the publisher asking them WTF they thought they were doing!

Such a shame the book turned out to be a blow out - maybe you should put together a book for the guys =D

MrTea
11-20-2006, 01:18 PM
What if you made the V-neck sweater with 2 backs? Would that work?

That is possible, brownishcoat. I didn't study the pattern in much detail. I also have zero experience with knitting sweaters, I'm not sure I'd be qualified enough to tell if that would come out right.

MrTea
11-20-2006, 01:35 PM
I recieve that book in the mail yesterday also. The patterns did not inspire me at all, but I do want to make some of the utility clothes. I injoy knitting girly (if thats what you want to call it) projects as gifts.

Yea, 90% of the projects I complete are given away as gifts. I was just hoping to find some cool men's patterns. Like...

1. Shooting gloves (Sort of a cross between a glove and a mitten. The index finger is separate from the rest of the mitten. This facilitates the firing of a rifle with mittens on, also just allows for more manual dexterety in general while wearing mittens. I really like this design, I have a pair of US military ones and a couple pairs of Swiss Miliatary mitten liners in this style, but I would love to knit a pair of my own.)

2. Men's underwear (I would love to be able to knit a pair of underwear for myself. A good boxer brief pattern would be really cool.)

3. Long underwear (this would be pretty nifty too, although I don't know how practical it would be.)

4. Good masculine hat patterns (That book only had two hat patterns, and they were both kind of blah. would have liked to have seen more styles)

5. Simple sweaters (It would have been nice to see simple sweater patterns without cabling or anything fancy, like the one on the cover.)

6. To be continued...