PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Cabled Afghan

Jan in CA
11-17-2006, 06:54 PM
My MIL was learning to crochet and she bought this yarn for an afghan and gave it to me after she discovered that her arthritis made it too difficult. Having always wanted to make a cabled afghan I decided to make one for her. The yarn is Caron Simply Soft in bone. I'm questioning the wisdom of doing this at this point...it's going to take forever I think. :teehee:

220 CO stitches, reversible, double stranded and 35 cables... :zombie:

CreativeCreature
11-17-2006, 06:58 PM
It's really pretty but holy cow! That is A LOT of work! You will be so proud of yourself when you are done though and your MIL will treasure it I'm sure. Great job!

Ingrid
11-17-2006, 07:03 PM
It'll be gorgeous when it's done. That's one of those projects that you can pick up for periods until you're sick of it, do something else, pick it up. . .

knitqueen
11-17-2006, 07:04 PM
Jan, that is just lovely. :muah: Looks great so far! Hope you don't get afghan burn-out like I did!! :eyes:

Mulderknitter
11-17-2006, 07:17 PM
wow! that is very beautiful! I'm sure your mil will love it. my grandmother a few years back made an afghan for everyone in the family. the one she made for my mom looks a bit like that, and mine was done in two shades of alternating purple. i still :heart: it and use it to this day!

AnreeAce
11-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Jan, that's already lovely! :inlove:

And when it's all done she'll be :thud: over it!

Yvonne
11-17-2006, 07:42 PM
Oh, that is just gorgeous. It will be an heirloom! When you feel sick of it, let your inspiration be thinking of all the flu victims, arthritis sufferers, weary people relaxing, dogs, cats and grandchildren who will use and love it. :muah:
Pattern?

Petals
11-17-2006, 10:36 PM
Beautiful! Like I told my daughter, knitting does teach you patience! :teehee:

Amber
11-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Wow, that will be a lot of work, but it'll be worth it! It's looking gorgeous so far!

CarmenIbanez
11-18-2006, 02:15 AM
So beautiful. I am using that yarn for a sweater, it is so lovely, isn't it?

Jan in CA
11-18-2006, 03:08 AM
So beautiful. I am using that yarn for a sweater, it is so lovely, isn't it?

Yes, it's really soft! I just bought a skein of Simply Soft Shadow. It's so pretty!

melissa.atkins
11-18-2006, 02:42 PM
It looks so pretty!!

Jan, which needle size are you using?

Jan in CA
11-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks everyone!

I'm using size 10.5 needles and Caron Simply Soft double stranded. The pattern I based this on is Lannie Garner's Reversible Cable Afghan (https://www.kathys-kreations.com/october2005patterns.html). I changed it by doing about 10 rows before I started cabling otherwise you don't have much of an edge. I also added stitches to the sides to create 5 k stitches on either edge and I slipped the first and knit the last so the edges are nice and straight. I CO 220 which gives you a 5 stitch border and 35 reversible cables.

Oh and I frogged this a couple times before I figured out how to tighten the ribs. I followed NonaKnits
(http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonaknits/2004/12/a_bit_of_braggi.html) technique for improved ribbing. You start the first row by k6 (after 5 st edge) then on the first purl stitch you wrap the yarn clockwise, but continue normally for the rest of the purls. Do that for the entire row. On the next and subsequent rows of ribbing you will be k5 normally then k1 through the back loop, then purl the first stitch with the clockwise wrap and then purl normally. After awhile it becomes second nature and I don't even think about it.
BTW..if you want this pattern I suggest printing it or copy and pasting in a folder to save it. It looks like one of those that might dissappear eventually.

gardenmommy
11-18-2006, 10:04 PM
That is so pretty! I love the cafe-au-lait color!

Clarabel
11-19-2006, 03:28 PM
Question about the cables, do they reverse next to each other or are the cables directly ontop of each other?

sop 1
11-19-2006, 04:53 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Just lovely!!!!! And I am working on a scarf with THREE cables and thought that was a big deal!

Susan in NC xxx

sunnyreflections
11-20-2006, 11:04 AM
It is gorgeous! I am using a similar color yarn and making Cascading Leaves (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kjif-lea.html) for my BIL and his wife. It is taking FOREVER, but I know it will be worth it. The pattern has me making 48 small squares, seaming them into bigger squares using four smaller ones then seaming the 12 big squares together and picking up and adding an edge. I didn't realize how much work it was going to be. :doh:

Jan in CA
11-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Oooo that cascading leaves pattern is pretty! Too much seaming for me though! :teehee:

Mama Bear
11-21-2006, 12:09 AM
That looks so classy! Love the cables.

Mama Bear

jdee
11-21-2006, 12:31 AM
It's just beautiful! She's going to LOVE it!

knitwitnj
02-03-2007, 09:21 PM
[quote="Jan in CA"]Thanks everyone!

I'm using size 10.5 needles and Caron Simply Soft double stranded. The pattern I based this on is Lannie Garner's Reversible Cable Afghan (https://www.kathys-kreations.com/october2005patterns.html). I changed it by doing about 10 rows before I started cabling otherwise you don't have much of an edge. I also added stitches to the sides to create 5 k stitches on either edge and I slipped the first and knit the last so the edges are nice and straight. I CO 220 which gives you a 5 stitch border and 35 reversible cables.

Jan - does this mean this is the type of yarn you are using, or did you use two strands?

Jan in CA
02-03-2007, 10:03 PM
I meant TWO strands.

I don't know if I'm going to finish this or not. It IS pretty, but it's so heavy and bulky. My MIL tends to be hot so I'm afraid she won't use it. It may end up in the frog pond. ;) :teehee:

knitwitnj
02-03-2007, 10:21 PM
do you think it would be just a pretty as yours, (and of course, not as bulky,) if knitted in one strand? or do you thinit requires the sturdiness of two strands?

Jan in CA
02-04-2007, 12:19 AM
I think one strand would be fine as long as you have the right size needle so they aren't too loose. I love the idea of a reversible afghan so I may give this another try with another variation or something.

aineepooh1
02-04-2007, 12:34 AM
:inlove: :inlove:
OOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

newamy
02-04-2007, 11:06 AM
That is so pretty.

I'm considering making an afghan or throw for a friends wedding gift- fortunately I think I have a while. I think she would like cables-- so keep us posted on the progress. Something like that would be ideal.

usamacka
02-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Jan, it is simply gorgeous and I would work it as you can....Have you ever done the 20 minute plan? When I have alot going on...I use my kitchen timer..and allow myself 20 minutes for knitting...:)) Maybe you can go on the 20 minute plan per day???

hydeemarie
02-04-2007, 03:34 PM
So pretty much that's alot of cableing for that afghan. All the more power to ya for doing it! It's goergous though!! xxx

Sarahc409
02-04-2007, 04:44 PM
it's absolutely beautiful! you are doing a great job...keep going a bit at a time :cheering:

loveswildflowers
02-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Absolutely GORGEOUS!

knitting4babybear
02-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Stunning. I want one just like it!

Cristy
02-06-2007, 04:37 PM
It looks beautiful so far--I want to make a cabled afghan--I just got the book Cables untangled and it has a couple of really nice ones! I can't wait to see how yours turns out...