PDA

View Full Version : Sport Weight yarn

kristinw
11-19-2006, 08:32 PM
I finally found yarn in the color I've been looking for. It is for a scarf for my stepmom. This (http://www.blueskyalpacas.com/yarn_detail.php?yarns_ID=10) is the yarn. Is this not bulky enough for a scarf though?? I've never felt it IRL so I'm not sure.

Thanks!

PS: I ran across this (http://www.blueskyalpacas.com/yarn_detail.php?yarns_ID=11) while looking and really want some for myself :heart: . But it is $38/skein!! Has anyone ever touched it??

Ingrid
11-19-2006, 08:51 PM
You can make a scarf out of sport weight yarn, but it won't be especially bulky. I made one last year and knit it in the round, so it was double thick, anyway. You can use two strands together if you want a bulkier scarf. Alpaca is warm, though.

You could also make a nice lacy pattern with it--who says scarves have to be warm?

That Royal alpaca looks delicious!

kristinw
11-19-2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks Ingrid. That's what I thought. I think I will double strand it.

Calamintha
11-19-2006, 10:42 PM
I personally think that sport weight yarn makes a really nice scarf with great drape. It is especially good for a lace scarf or something of that sort. Alpaca is very warm so I wouldn't worry about it not being warm enough. The only problem is that a lot of people find alpaca itchy and couldn't wear a scarf made from it.

kristinw
11-19-2006, 11:12 PM
hmm, I didn't realize that is is itchy! darn! I know she doesn't like wool now I'm wondering if this will be a problem. Well, if I go with something else it will just be more yarn for me! I knew there was a silver lining! :teehee:

Ingrid
11-20-2006, 09:20 AM
I like the way you think!!

Julie
11-20-2006, 12:40 PM
Alpaca? Itchy? Really? Persoanlly I'v enever felt any alpaca that's remotely scratchy. :shrug: Especially Blue Sky....it's soooooo soft.

mulene
11-20-2006, 12:45 PM
I have some Plymouth Indecita Alpaca - it itches me like crazy when I put it round my neck. If I catch it across the back of my hand it also itches like mad. The palms of my hands are ok tho - I made a scarf for my boss out of it.