PDA

View Full Version : argyle yarn

ctmax
11-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Has anyone heard of yarn that as you knit it creates a argyle design? I was at a yarn store and over heard 2 women talking and it sounded like the vest she was wearing was knit with yarn that made the design as she knit it. She was saying it was better knit in the round rather than flat. I should have asked her, but I probably shouldn't have been eaves dropping so I didn't want to look like an idiot and ask.

Jan in CA
11-20-2006, 01:35 PM
I don't see how that is possible. I mean you could could probably dye yarn to do any pattern for a certain size like a sock, but if the project was a different size with that yarn it wouldn't work. I certainly could be wrong though. Interesting idea.

janelanespaintbrush
11-20-2006, 01:52 PM
but if the project was a different size with that yarn it wouldn't work.

Good point! And not all knitters will have the same tension, either. Maybe she was talking about a kit that had all the different colored yarns in it?

Liliyarn
11-20-2006, 02:19 PM
I highly doubt there's self patterning argyle out there or I would have sniffed it out by now. Next time say something. Over hearing conversations and butting in when yarn and knitting is involved is allowed. Otherwise, how'd ya learn something or meet someone new?

CarmenIbanez
11-20-2006, 02:36 PM
If there were such a yarn, I would own it.

gardenmommy
11-20-2006, 03:07 PM
http://knittersreview.com/article_book.asp?article=/review/reading/050224_a.asp

This mentions it, and I just happen to have this book checked out from the library but haven't had a chance to look it over in depth.

CarmenIbanez
11-20-2006, 03:12 PM
It talks about socks that were argyle and those were from yarns in 1950s. I can see where it would work on socks, you know, the whole "one size fits all" routine. But for sweaters?

Debbie
11-20-2006, 09:01 PM
I have that book ... and there are no instructions for argyle yarn ... just self stripping and others .... It is a great book!