PDA

View Full Version : "Inside Out Chemo Cap" - please help!

cookworm
11-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Has anybody knitted this (http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/kpatt20.htm) hat, or can maybe help me with it? I have two questions.

First of all, which side do you begin the decreases? It says to do the pattern until it reaches 6", but I wanted to make sure I was beginning the decreases on the correct side. I started the decreases on the "smooth" side--that is, the side that I was making the K1, P1's on so all of my purl rows between decreases would be on the same side as they were before, but it looks wrong...it looks like all of the shaping part of the hat if I do it that way will be reverse stockinette and not in the "bumpy" pattern. Is this right?

Secondly, is there a way to convert this pattern to either DPN's or circulars? Would I just do everything the same as it's written, except changing the purl rows into knit?

janelanespaintbrush
11-20-2006, 01:41 PM
That pattern looks weird. First of all, in the very first row, it say K1, P1 (garter stitch). But that's not garter stitch. That's 1x1 ribbing.

Anyway. To do this in the round, I think you'd just need to switch your knits and purls on the wrong side rows. The easiest way to do this is to make sure the rows where you purl all the way across are the "wrong side" rows, and change them to knit instead. KWIM? It should work out since they're always every other row.

ETA: I just realized that you already said what I said above... about changing the purl rows to knit. :doh: Sounds like you're on the right track to me. :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
11-20-2006, 01:42 PM
I haven't done this pattern so I'm not sure about the decreases. It looks to me like it was supposed to be done in the round since it doesn't say anything about seaming and tells you to draw the yarn through the remaining stitches after decreasing. If the hat is done in the round the decrease question doesn't matter because it will always be done on the "outside" that you are working on.

janelanespaintbrush
11-20-2006, 01:46 PM
It looks to me like it was supposed to be done in the round since it doesn't say anything about seaming and tells you to draw the yarn through the remaining stitches after decreasing.

That's what I was thinking until I saw "sew seam" at the very end.

janelanespaintbrush
11-20-2006, 01:49 PM
...it looks like all of the shaping part of the hat if I do it that way will be reverse stockinette and not in the "bumpy" pattern. Is this right?

Yes, I think it changes to reverse stockinette at the top.

cookworm
11-20-2006, 01:52 PM
[quote="janelanespaintbrushThat's what I was thinking until I saw "sew seam" at the very end.[/quote]

Me too--that's why I started this hat on straight needles rather than in the round. I would've preferred to do it in the round since I wouldn't have seams to sew up, but I figured I'd make this one hat flat like the pattern indicates, and make any notations of my own on the pattern for future reference. Once I make something once, I'm a little less paranoid about doing it again. :oops:

Which side do you think that I should begin the decreases on--the bumpy side (the side that the purls are worked), or the smooth side (the K1, P1 side)? I'm confused! :wall: This looked like a very easy hat to do until I came across the decrease issue because the pattern doesn't specify which side to begin the decreases on, and yes Jane, I too caught the very beginning part that indicates that K1, P1 is "garter stitch" (which of course it isn't, but I knew that it wouldn't be garter stitch by looking at the picture and seeing that they wanted you to do a ribbing for the band).

cookworm
11-20-2006, 01:53 PM

Me too--that's why I started this hat on straight needles rather than in the round. I would've preferred to do it in the round since I wouldn't have seams to sew up, but I figured I'd make this one hat flat like the pattern indicates, and make any notations of my own on the pattern for future reference. Once I make something once, I'm a little less paranoid about doing it again. :oops:

Which side do you think that I should begin the decreases on--the bumpy side (the side that the purls are worked), or the smooth side (the K1, P1 side)? I'm confused! :wall: This looked like a very easy hat to do until I came across the decrease issue because the pattern doesn't specify which side to begin the decreases on, and yes Jane, I too caught the very beginning part that indicates that K1, P1 is "garter stitch" (which of course it isn't, but I knew that it wouldn't be garter stitch by looking at the picture and seeing that they wanted you to do a ribbing for the band).

I kinda wanted to quickly sneak in the shaping part of the hat while my baby was laying down for her nap, but I'm not sure I'll be able to now that I had to frog two rows of my work--that took up enough time. :verysad:

Jan in CA
11-20-2006, 01:55 PM
It looks to me like it was supposed to be done in the round since it doesn't say anything about seaming and tells you to draw the yarn through the remaining stitches after decreasing.

:doh:

janelanespaintbrush
11-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Although they don't overtly say it, it seems like the "inside out" nature of this hat refers to the idea that you can make a mostly-purled hat easier by working it in mostly-knit and then turning it inside out. So. Whatever you want to show on the outside should be on the inside when you're doing the decreases, I think. Does that sound right?

cookworm
11-20-2006, 02:04 PM
:?? Hmmm...I'm not sure why it's called "inside out". What had me confused from the get-go was why the pattern just didn't say to do the hat in the round, saving the knitter from purling so many rows? In my case at least, it would've made the hat go faster (knitting instead of purling), and, I wouldn't have had a seam to sew. I'm so frustrated right now that I'm ready to just put it away, but I really wanted to finish it today if I could so I could block it and wear it right away. Me and my bright ideas--"Oh, this looks easy I can finish that in like a day or two with no problem!" Yeah, right. :(

janelanespaintbrush
11-20-2006, 02:08 PM
:doh: I forgot that there actually is purling involved! And here I thought it was a clever way to avoid purling. (Somehow I sort of converted it in my head and forgot about the original pattern.) I think this pattern is making everyone confused.

You know... I have a sneaking suspicion that the pattern was originally written to be knit in the round, but someone decided to convert it to flat knitting, and didn't do a good job of it. "Inside out" makes no sense at all for something that's knit flat.

cookworm
11-20-2006, 02:15 PM
You know... I have a sneaking suspicion that the pattern was originally written to be knit in the round, but someone decided to convert it to flat knitting, and didn't do a good job of it. "Inside out" makes no sense at all for something that's knit flat.

That makes sense to me! :figureditout: Maybe somebody didn't have DPN's or a circular needle to knit in the round, or didn't know how to do it? That's how I knit my first hat (I just knit a hat that was supposed to be in the round flat) because I didn't have the right size circular or any DPN's, and I was terrified to try DPN's. I e-mailed the lady who owns the website and I hope she can help me; although it's not her pattern, though.

Maybe that's why they don't tell you which side to begin the decreases--if this pattern is adapted for knitting in the round originally, you really wouldn't have to worry about which side to do the decreases.

Hey--maybe that's the key! :figureditout: Maybe, if it's meant to be knit in the round, the stockinette/ribbing/"smooth" side would be outwards facing you, right? So that's probably the side I should work the decreases on, right? Does that makes sense? Then, the name "inside out" hat would make sense too like you suggested Jane. Do you think I should try doing the decreases on the stockinette/ribbing/"smooth" side then?

janelanespaintbrush
11-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Do you think I should try doing the decreases on the stockinette/ribbing/"smooth" side then?[/color][/i]

This pattern has me so befuddled that I honestly don't know. Wouldn't hurt to try it, though.

Jan in CA
11-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Okay, that does it. I gotta try this hat now..I'm confuzzled. :??

cookworm
11-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Jan, good luck! No matter which side I did the decreases, it looked wrong. I think that's because throughout the pattern, it's a K1, P1 pattern, and then they have you doing all K's for the decreases with no P's in there. I modified the decrease rows a bit to include for P1's too, and it looks okay...not great, but okay ("passable"). I used some darkish teal yarn to make this hat so I don't think it is "unsightly", but I think if I would've used a lighter colored yarn to try to figure out this pattern--being that it is a bit off--it might've looked a lot worse. Not having a ton of knitting experience behind me, I tried to do the best I could and to do what I think made sense to me. I'm going to block it and see what happens. I also think the main body of the hat (before the decreases) should've been knitted a little bit longer because to me, the hat feels a bit "short" (barely covers my ears, not like the one one the web page shows), but maybe this is because I have a larger head? :??