PDA

View Full Version : OT: Thanksgiving plans

nonny2t
11-20-2006, 02:01 PM
So what is everyone doing this year for Thanksgiving? Traveling, staying at home, cooking not cooking....

We are going over to dd's for breakfast then to Cracker Barrel for lunch then back to dd's for the afternoon. We plan on just relaxing playing board games, watching movies, snacking and having a good time together. We will call our son and dil in the afternoon since we can't be in two places this year. With Jack's open heart surgery he used up all his vacation time recuperating so we can't travel to see them like we usually do.

I bought this game called Whonuu? a few months back and it is a lot of fun and very easy for even little kids to play as long as they can read or they have someone that isn't playing read it for them. Thomas likes to play that game and Monopoly, Pictionary, Scrabble, and he loves Sorry.

Hope everyone gets to spend this Thanksgiving with their family and good friends!

jamiejeans
11-20-2006, 02:02 PM
Hi,
I'm cooking my first turkey this year! I'm having my parents, brother, and mother in law over. I'm looking forward to it, and its great that I get to stay home. And the mothers love that they don't have to cook. A win win for all!

brendajos
11-20-2006, 02:13 PM
Heading to my mom's tomorrow night to help get ready for the family to come. we are expecting my brother's entire family, which will be a treat since they haven't all come in recent years. That means his kids and step kids and all his grandchildren (have i mentioned that my brother is 38 with three grandchildren? :rofl: that never gets old :teehee:......Don't worry ...his stepdaughter was 20 when she had her first! ;) ) Aunts and uncles will be there and i think just one of the cousins. the others either have to work, or are too far away for this one. i think we are expecting 15 or so. will be baking on wednesday and figuring out a way to season the turkey that my mother won't complain about. hard to do since she doesn't like seasoning and i don't eat thanksgiving turkey...lol

will put up her christmas tree after everybody leaves and then drive back home that night since i am working on friday. will make for a long couple of days but should be fun.

just reminded myself that i need to dig out the camera from whereever i last was taking pictures of an F/O. :thinking:

jodstr2
11-20-2006, 02:39 PM
staying home. just us 3, and yes, cooking turkey and a bunch of side dishes.

Stiney
11-20-2006, 02:46 PM
I'm on vacation this week. Driving up to Boston today (like, in 15 minutes), staying over, interview at 11 and "assessment" for another job at 2, driving home. Wednesday, X-mas shopping, Thursday, Turkey Day with Mom and G-pa and maybe Butt-fink and maybe maybe Butt-fink's girlfriend, Friday downtime (write personal statement for grad school app), Saturday drive to Maryland with dad, stepmom and sisters, see grandparents, Sunday drop Butt-fink off at school, drive home.

I'm tired just thinking about it. :passedout:

Happy Turkey Day everyone, and I'll see you tomorrow when I get home from Bahstin.

Sara
11-20-2006, 02:48 PM
My BFF (since we were 5) and her husband will arrive from MPLS tomorrow night. We may go to Corning, NY to the glass museum on Wednesday. Bake pies and hang out that eve. Then traditional dinner Thurs and apparently football (not something my family is into, but Sherri and Tom are big fans). There is talk of going to Rochester to the children's musuem and science center on Friday. Sherri and Tom leave on Saturday :pout: and DH goes to Boston on Sunday at noon for a week-long conference :wall: .

It will be busy, but I'm sure that my facial muscles will hurt from smiling so much by the weekend. :D

Have a wonderful holiday, everyone!! :muah:

janelanespaintbrush
11-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Our relatives all live out of town so it'll just be DH, the kitty, and me here at home. A turkey would be too much food for us so DH bought a duck. (We like duck better anyway -- especially the kitty.)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

lissalue
11-20-2006, 03:19 PM
we have aleready had one thanksgiving dinner, yesterday at my mom's with all of her family. we will be leaving to go to my dad's wed. there we will have dinner thurs. with all my step family. we will come home either thurs. or fri.

knit-errant
11-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Right now, it looks like my husband, daughter and I will be having Thanksgiving at home, and having my mom and step-dad-to-be there. We might have my husband's sister and one of my mom's fiancee's sons, but that's up in the air.

Actually, it's all up in the air right now because I just got over being really sick and I think my husband is coming down with what I had. If he feels anything like I did when I was sick, there's no way I'm going to expect him to contend with company... so my mom and I are pretty much adopting a wait and see attitude about the whole thing.

Regardless of if we have company or not, I'm planning to put together some sort of traditional Thanksgiving dinner because I enjoy doing it. I actually felt kind of gypped last year because we had Thanksgiving at a relative's home and I didn't get to cook at all!

CarmenIbanez
11-20-2006, 05:27 PM
The three of us are heading to LA to my dad's. His brother and sister in law and their two kids and my grandma. Should be fun! Coming home that night though, because I have bowling league on Friday and WILL NOT MISS IT!

dustinac
11-20-2006, 05:29 PM
We are having Thanksgiving up here.. be dh, 2kids, and me... dh has to work on Friday and decided not to make a fast trip into WV and then have to return back home on Sunday... its always hectic on those trips and no real down time... wish we could go home but I'll be home at Christmas :happydance:

Quiltlady
11-20-2006, 07:00 PM
We are staying home and I'm making the turkey. We have a 26 pound one this year! :teehee: My three adult kids will be here and my son in law and his mom and my 3 yr. old gd. Looking forward to a nice day.

Amber
11-20-2006, 07:24 PM
It'll be just our little family this year (me, dh and the kids). We've decided it's too difficult and hectic to travel with the kids over Thanksgiving. We are making a traditional Thanksgiving dinner with Turkey and all the trimmings. :drool:

We'll call my dad and dh's parents to wish them a Happy Thanksgiving.

orcoastknitter
11-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Our Thanksgiving is usually very casual. It's usually just me and the folks. I help Mom out the night before making desserts, while she gets things ready for the bird. On Thanksgiving, I get up and help Mom with the getting the turkey in the oven (Mom has osteoarthritis in her hands). Then it's pretty much lounge around until it's time to prepare the side dishes. My father usually watches football. Mom and I might play a few games of Scrabble. Since the portion of the house where I live doesn't have satellite I usually make my self comfy in the master bedroom and watch TV and of course knit!

I usually get up an hour or so earlier the day after so I can hit the one big store we have to see if there is anything exciting on sale. I might go and see Happy Feet after work, I don't know yet.

I am going to be getting my puppy this weekend, so I am going to have to set up her pen area sometime this week!

CateKnits
11-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Working from 6:30-3:00, then going for what's probably going to be leftovers at my aunt's. :shrug: Maybe they'll wait for me.

BinkyKat
11-20-2006, 09:52 PM
DH and I are driving to Mpls to see my db, sil, and dn. Since I started a new job, I don't have a lot of vacation to burn, but we do get the day after off as a holiday :cheering:
My fam lives in New Richmond WI so anything within 45 minutes of Mpls/St. Paul MN is considered "the Cities" by me.
DH is a garbage man and it seems that his schedule is tighter than a dr. or fireman...one day without garbage you'd think the town would shut down...and he works for a place that contracts to business, not homes. :roll: Anyhoo, I want to leave asap after work on Wed. so that we don't get there at 2 am (it's only 3 hours away) and I can wake up there Thurs. am to watch a little Macy's parade with my toddler nephew and then commense baking!
I had a pre Thanksgiving with a few gals from my volunteer group on Sunday. We have gone from 30 people (members plus family) to just 4 of us yesterday - but I cooked the Turkey and now we have tons of leftovers here at my house :cheering: I don't mind, as you don't get left overs when you go visit :eyebrow:
Save travels and safe and sound under your own roof however everyone chooses to celebrate! :heart:

cheesiesmom
11-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Both our children are grown (not married) and scattered on Thursday, so I was planning dinner on Fri instead if I can work it into their schedules. So it'll just be us 4 and maybe DD's BF. Unless, my boss decides that we have to work Fri, Sat and Sun prepping for the trial that starts on Tues. In that case, deli turkey sandwiches for everyone!! :rofl:

We have just us 4 and I try to keep everyone in step, but as they get older, it becomes more difficult.

snowbear
11-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Since Daughter is pregnant, and due in 1-07, I'm flying out X-mas & of course when grandson makes his debut. So, due to vacation etc, it's me & kitty. I'm cooking a cornish game hen, and my favorite sides. I'll sleep in, watch a bit of the parade, eat, then knit and nap. I have off till Monday, so hopefully can get a lot done since I have about a month till I fly out to California.

Oh, and since daughter is cooking for first time.. *(she hates to cook, loves to clean) and son-in-law is on duty that day(MarineMP), He won't be able to cook.(He loves to cook) He is going to fix turkey night before, and her friends will put it in oven for her. I'm standing by w/ any help she may need via phone.

So, kitty & I are all set, and no rush for once. Peaceful, and time for finishing up those X-mas presents, and baby gifts.

xxx

AnreeAce
11-20-2006, 11:36 PM
Thanksgivng at my place again this year.

We keep it pretty small, just me & DH, plus DM & DSF. Mom & I will be sitting on the breakfast stools telling outrageous stories all day.

I love to cook, and I love to have people over for a good meal, so this holiday was absolutely made for me.

Kaydee
11-21-2006, 03:03 PM
I'm going out to Lake Tahoe to see my brother, sister-in-law, and my new niece!!! I'll be flying out there with my parents on Thanksgiving early in the morning, and get there by early afternoon with the time change. My wonderful sister-in-law will be cooking for us...a new mommy and cooking for the family, God bless her. I'm just a little sad that I'll miss the parade this year, it'll be the first time...but I'm much happier to see my family. Yea! :cheering:

nonny2t
11-21-2006, 03:50 PM
What wonderful things everyone has planned! I hope everyone has a spectacular holiday and even if you can't be with family, give them a call and let them know you are thinking of them and missing them!

knotmaker
11-21-2006, 04:22 PM
We are staying home and family is comming in! :happydance: We are doing dinner by commitee this year ... my parents are cooking the turkey ... dh is smoking a ham ... and my aunt/uncle/cousin are in charge of vegetables and baking. We are going to be about 15 for dinner so we could not see making 1 person do ALL the cooking. Should be a good time!!

jolenel
11-21-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm going to have Thanksgiving dinner with my parents (I don't have any brothers and sisters). My boyfriend is meeting us at my parents' place too, and the two of us are going to make a real American Thanksgiving dinner for the first time ever! Well, it'll be the first time for my parents. They rarely eat "American" food, and even more rarely cook it themselves, so we've never had the roast turkey, green beans, stuffing, etc. We've always gotten together for Thanksgiving but without that food. :hug: but :pout: !

My boyfriend is taking care of the turkey & gravy, and I'm taking care of the sides. Both of us looooove cooking. I'm really excited! :happydance:

DianaM
11-21-2006, 10:50 PM
My family's in Mexico, so I can't be with them.

I hadn't had a a Thanksgiving off from work in 4 years and I was lucky to get this one off, so I'm going to spend it with my boyfriend.

It is a bit scary though, because while I have helped my Mom roast a Turkey I've never done it on my own. So this will be a test of my kitchen skills :teehee: