PDA

View Full Version : New Video Format, would you mind testing it for me?

amy
11-20-2006, 06:17 PM
Sheldon's started reformating our videos to Flash format (should be MUCH less problematic, I know there's been problems lately!). He's replaced a few videos so far with the new format. I'd love to hear how they work for people!

Go to the Basic Techniques/Decrease page, and try watching either of the SSP (Slip Slip Purl) videos (halfway down the page). They should both end with the words "This creates a left slanting decrease on the right side." Watch them and make sure they play all the way through. Try scrolling ahead or back in the video to see how that works, it should let you do that without freezing up for long or creating problems. Answer the poll, and let me know if there are any problems!

Thanks!

janelanespaintbrush
11-20-2006, 06:25 PM
Works great! I'm using firefox on a mac, if that info is helpful to you. I've never had any trouble with the old videos, even when people were reporting problems recently.

BTW, thanks again Amy and Sheldon for your ongoing hard work! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

brendajos
11-20-2006, 06:25 PM
those are AWESOME! will be great for those videos that you only need to see the very end or just need to go back a little bit.

As always....You and Sheldon rock!!! :muah: :muah: :muah:

MrTea
11-20-2006, 06:29 PM
I was having intermittent problems with certain videos. So, it would be difficult to say if this would solve all the problems. I do know that flash is a really good multi platform format though. The player is also very small and quick do download. Probably a good idea.

knitaddict
11-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Awesome!! It loaded *very* quickly for me and didn't freeze up my browser. I love it!

Jan in CA
11-20-2006, 06:56 PM
I haven't had problems with the old ones, but this one seems faster! :cheering:

lissalue
11-20-2006, 07:03 PM
seems to be working great!!! yeah, i am so happy!! :cheering: i was one of the ones having some trouble with the other videos. :pout: hopefully this will take care of it. :happydance:

KellyK
11-20-2006, 07:05 PM
I had no problem!! Can folks download the videos to their desktops by right-clicking and choosing "save target as" like they used to?

Amber
11-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Worked great for me! And, that scroll feature is awesome!! :thumbsup:

suzq85
11-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Works fine for me, once I downloaded the latest adobe. The video was working fine, but I wasn't getting audio until I downloaded the latest version. Works like a charm. Great work by the way! :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah:

cheesiesmom
11-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Wowser!! They load really fast. About 10x faster than the old ones. Love 'em. Amy, you're a genius!!

BinkyKat
11-20-2006, 10:25 PM
No problems for me... compared the other formats it's a lot faster.
I haven't hooked my speakers back up since this summer when I took my computer in for service...so I can't speak to that portion.
Generally speaking, some flash/viewer type videos are a little twitchy when initally loading, but work great when fully loaded and replayed.

SandraEllen
11-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Works brilliantly! Thanks for the constant innovation!

Julie
11-20-2006, 10:58 PM
I voted yes, but I'm still having intermittent issues with KH on the whole. I watched the video and went to skip ahead and I got the buffering message and it froze for quite some time, but it was because the server wasn't responding, which happens to me on a regular basis these days. :shrug: I went back and tried it again about a half hour later and it was fine, everything worked as it should.

mulene
11-21-2006, 07:56 AM
No problems playing it here. Of course for some unknown reason I can't play anything at all at home! Work machine is peachy though =D

horve1
11-21-2006, 09:06 AM
Didn't play for me, but I'm at work on the stupid work 'puter and can't install anything, including Flash.

Chrissie
11-21-2006, 10:32 AM
It plays all the way through, but there is a box that says "click here to play video" that stayed in the center of the screen and didn't go away when the video started playing. I think I have to check my Flash version....I thought I had the latest one installed, but who knows.
:shrug:

SabrinaJL
11-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Worked great for me.

feministmama
11-21-2006, 11:46 AM
Mac owner here. Flash works great!!! :cheering:

amy
11-21-2006, 12:11 PM
Wow, these are great results! :woot:
Thanks for the feedback everyone!
We're going to switch the videos over to this format, one at a time. It's going to take a while, so we'll have both video formats for a while.

Julie, your problem sounds like a server issue on your end, indeed.

Can folks download the videos to their desktops by right-clicking and choosing "save target as" like they used to?

It's possible, but not easy, and I wouldn't recommend it as a solution to video playing problems any more. I think we'll see a lot less problems though, so hopefully a person won't need to do that to play the videos.

Julie
11-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Actually, Amy, I just get the error at KH...I get a firefox error page that says that the server at KH is not responding. But I can surf to other sites without any problem. :shrug: I just always figured it's because we're so darn popular ;)

sberb
11-21-2006, 07:43 PM
the video didn't really work for me in the flash format, though it was a definite improvement over the others i've tried on the site. i think the problem i'm having may be my computer, but i'm not sure.

with the flash format the video and audio was jumpy and finally froze altogether near the end. i advanced the video closer to the end and it started buffering again and played through to the end. i tried it again and it ran better of course, because it was cached, but it still froze at the same spot. i advanced the video again and it played to the end, though it was still choppy.

the problem i'm having with all the videos (that i haven't been able to duplicate w/any other video download on other sites) is this: the video simply freezes 18 seconds into it. the display will say that the video is 12 minutes, but it won't play anything past 18 seconds. even if i try advancing the video with the little slider, it just slides right back to the 18 sec spot. the timer still runs past 18 secs, though, slowly advancing toward the 12 minute mark.

when i right click on the link inside the window and "save target as" it downloads exactly .99mb. every time. with every video on the site. i am able to download packets more than 1mb on other sites. i have ckd all the settings in windows media play and quick time and nothing seems to be limiting download size or quality. each time before i attempt playing the videos i clean the cache. i have updated both quick time and windows media player.

sorry for the verbose explanation! i used to work tech support and i know more info is better than less. is my problem unusual or is this similar to the other descriptions you've heard?

i really like this site and i can't wait to look over all the videos!

lissalue
11-21-2006, 08:57 PM
sberb, i have been having the same problem, but not with everyvideo. it is always around 18 seconds. i have cleared my cache, and it helped some, but not on all. let me know if you figure something out.

Jan in CA
11-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Actually, Amy, I just get the error at KH...I get a firefox error page that says that the server at KH is not responding. But I can surf to other sites without any problem. :shrug: I just always figured it's because we're so darn popular ;)

I have problems here lately that I do not have anywhere else, too. I end up with a lot of double posts and I find I am deleting a lot of them lately so we are not the only ones.

Jeremy
11-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Worked fine for me. Happy Thanksgiving

Tamarillicent
11-24-2007, 03:49 PM
The new videos don't work at all for me. I downloaded the newest flash and they STILL don't work! I'm really bummed because this was my go to site for figuring out new techniques and all that good stuff.
Has anyone else gotten the videos to work where they didn't previously?
Thanks for any help at all!
Tam

mommydearest
11-24-2007, 08:09 PM
I watched the continental video and it worked great.

Thank you for all the work you both have put into these videos. They have been a tremendous help to us.

Mary

sheldon
11-24-2007, 11:55 PM
If you are having trouble with the videos please see this page:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/bugs/video-player-problems

I have added a port 8080 firewall test link.

This thread is a year old and was bumped up to the top. Since this "new" video format is no longer new, I am going to lock this thread and let this thread decent into blissful obscurity in the archives. :)

hainangel2000
11-24-2007, 11:59 PM
Our charity uses Flash video we use proshow gold. Then put it in fv (flash version) and then load it into youtube. It works great! There are ways to make a player off of your website with out using youtube, but because we are a charity we wanted people to be able to put our video's everywhere, to advertise for us. But I think flash video gives it a more crisper look and more professional. Once you learn how to use it, it is well worth the money an effort! :cheering:

Knitting_Guy
11-25-2007, 12:04 AM
Works great with Linux/Firefox.