PDA

View Full Version : Winter wear Rowan Cashsoft

Mama Bear
11-21-2006, 12:50 AM
I am making a set of gifts for a couple here who have given a ton to our community.

Someone on knittinghelp (sorry I don't remember who) used the yarn band around the socks they knit and I loved the idea, so I used it for the socks and gloves in this set.

The yarn is Rowan Cashsoft DK
I used size 3 clover bamboo needles
And sort of used the pattern from "Holiday Knits" for the gloves, although I made several changes. There does appear to be errata in the number of stitches for the glove top vs how they divide them up for the fingers in at least one size, but I haven't gone back and recounted to make sure.

It seems to be a glove month for me!

Mama Bear

ae
11-21-2006, 08:50 AM
oooh, those look so beautiful and elegant!!! i'm sure they'll :heart: them!

rorygilmore
11-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Very nice! :cheering: I really want to try socks but don't have the funds to buy what i need for them(which is yarn and needles). I love your fingerless gloves!

Angelia
11-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Those are gorgeous!! :inlove:

Beautiful work!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-21-2006, 11:04 PM
Gorgeous!!!!

jdee
11-22-2006, 12:15 AM
Gorgeous! I have three balls of Rowen cashsoft DK in a pretty dark green color. How much yarn did it take to make the gloves?

Mama Bear
11-22-2006, 03:53 AM
Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments!

jdee,

I used a less than 1 1/2 balls for the gloves. Starting with two skeins, I had 1.2 oz of yarn left when I was finished. I am thinking of getting one more ball and making a second pair. You should be able to get 2 pair from the 3 skeins I would think!

rorygilmore,
You could make some thicker slipper socks with larger needles and inexpensive yarns to get the idea of sock construction down. Baby socks are also a fun inexpensive way to try out socks without putting out much for yarn. I have even made slipper socks and baby socks from reclaimed yarn from sweaters from the thrift store. When I first started collecting needles, I would watch for Joanns 50% off coupons and then I could get a set of needles for under $4. Good luck!

Mama Bear