PDA

View Full Version : Use for acrylic yarn?

Mom2Rebecca
11-21-2006, 11:37 AM
I really hate working with acrylic, I prefer wool or cotton. But i have some acrylic I received as a gift. Any good suggestions for it? It wont make decent washcloths or potholders, it that right?
Jessica

mulene
11-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Use it to make toys or Christmas decorations.

XbelovedXoneX
11-21-2006, 12:15 PM
you could also use it for charity knitting.

brownishcoat
11-21-2006, 12:17 PM
I use it to crochet afghans for gifts. Especially if I need a gift for someone I don't really care for or don't know all that well.

meriellyn
11-21-2006, 12:24 PM
I have a ton of acrylic from my first few months of knitting. It's all just sitting in a hamper feeling neglected. The only acrylic I've worked with lately has been the Simply Soft Shadows I made a mini-Clapotis from and the Simply Soft I'm using to crochet an afghan.

It's great for afghans that you want to be able to toss in the wash. Also good for presents for people who you know won't care for hand-wash items properly. Or kid stuff. I also use it for practice runs for new stitch patterns or estimating gauge/needle size for self-created patterns. I don't do this as much anymore though.

One big thing about gifting acrylic items... wash them before you give them away. That first wash softens things up considerably and makes the item feel much nicer.

I guess I'll try to use some of my acrylic for crochet projects. Problem is, I don't crochet much.

Ideally, I'd like to pass some of it along to someone who is starting out knitting/crocheting or who does use a lot of acrylic. I feel bad that it's all just sitting there. At least the rest of my yarn stash (the good stuff) gets fondled regularly. Hehe.

gardenmommy
11-21-2006, 12:37 PM
The problem is she would have to knit with something she doesn't even like working with in the first place! LOL I guess it depends if she can stand working with it long enough to make some gift items. Try triple-stranding it for a quick knit. ;) Maybe pet snuggles like for

http://www.h4ha.org/snuggles/

Do you think the giver was expecting something to be made for THEM from the yarn, or were they just thinking you might like it and didn't have any expectations otherwise? You might be able to swap/sell said yarn for something you like better, like with someone who found out they are allergic to wool and has lots of wool yarn, or somebody who bought a lot of cotton yarn and found out they didn't like it.

mwedzi
11-21-2006, 12:48 PM
The problem is she would have to knit with something she doesn't even like working with in the first place! LOL I guess it depends if she can stand working with it long enough to make some gift items.

Exactly. This was my problem with the wool yarn I was going to throw away. It might soften after a couple of washes, but I couldn't get through to make something to actually get it to the washing stage.

Can you crochet? I find both acrylic and cotton easier to crochet than to knit.

Calamintha
11-21-2006, 12:54 PM
I have the same problem. I just can't stand the feel of acrylic. Maybe you could donate the yarn to a school or nursing home or some other charity?

janelanespaintbrush
11-21-2006, 01:09 PM
This was my problem with the wool yarn I was going to throw away. It might soften after a couple of washes, but I couldn't get through to make something to actually get it to the washing stage.

I've hand-washed hanks of yarn with no problem. You just have to be careful so they don't get tangly.

Mama Bear
11-21-2006, 01:35 PM
If you really hate working with it, I would give it away.

If you want to use it up, most charity knitting prefers acrylics and washables.

I had gotten rid of much of my acrylics, but used some for a thick pair of slipper socks that I gave my mom. She didn't care what type of yarn because she wears them over socks.

I have even knit her a few pair of wool ones, and she prefers the acrylic :shrug: They are double stranded so at least they go fast.

So now I make her slipper socks from acrylic. That and preemie knitting is about the only time I use it.

Mama Bear

cozy
11-21-2006, 01:47 PM
If you really hate working with it, I would give it away.

If you want to use it up, most charity knitting prefers acrylics and washables.

Mama Bear

I agree with Mama Bear. I can stand working with it for charity knits, so I keep it for that purpose. But if I just hated to touch it, I'd give it away.

Jan in CA
11-21-2006, 01:50 PM
I was going to suggest charity, but I wasn't thinking that you don't like to knit with it, too. If you can't use it maybe donate it to a retirement home so the "old folks" can knit/crochet with it, or a school. Kids can use it for crafts.

brownishcoat
11-21-2006, 02:22 PM
I hadn't thought of washing the acrylic before using it. I may do a test run on that. I've been wanting a swift so that I could put garage sale yarn in hanks because you never know where that stuff has been.

It's an interesting thought! :D

figaro
11-21-2006, 02:43 PM
My neighbor who does not have time for knitting any more (retired and has a new boyfriend so she is always going somewhere, dinners, a cruise here or there!) so she gave me a old comforter zip bag full of really old acrylics so I am making cat/little dog beds for my local humane society. Right now I am doubling the yarn to make a cat bed, just a simple garter stitch. It is washable and the animals really do not mind that it is acrylic!

jdee
11-21-2006, 02:53 PM
I just gave some acrylic yarns to the Salvation Army. These were really old brands that aren't even made anymore. They were found in my MIL's house after she passed away, and since nobody else in her family knits or crochets, they gave them to me. I took them, because it was very nice of them to think of me, and I have no objection to using acrylics if they're soft, but these were very scratchy and rough.

Momma_Jo
11-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Confession: I knit MANY things from acrylics.... *runs and hides* They are cheap! And if you don't like the way it feels against your skin, you can always make cardigans, capelets, and other clothing items that are not worn directly against your skin.

figaro
11-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Sorry, my short term memory is getting worse all the time! :oops:

jdee
11-22-2006, 05:59 PM
I use acrylics, too. I didn't mean to give the impression that I don't. I just didn't like the feel of this particular yarn. If a yarn is soft, it doesn't matter what it's made of.