PDA

View Full Version : I wonder..I never knit them before

*KnitPixie*
11-21-2006, 10:09 PM
I am thinking about joining the sock swap thingy but I never knit a pair of socks before :verysad: I hear it is really hard but on the offset that I do learn and try it out about how many yards does it take to make a pair of socks?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-21-2006, 11:17 PM
you can do it!!! sock knitting is one of those things in knitting that looks hard but isn't. Check out the book Sensational Knitted Socks--- a DEFINITE "buy" in my opinion.

*KnitPixie*
11-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Hilde thanks for the encouragement :hug: I might give it a try!

Angelia
11-21-2006, 11:37 PM
Doooooo iiiiiiiiiiiit!!! They really are easier to knit than they look. And you have plenty of time to knit a practice sock before the swap even begins!

In fact, you can start right here (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Beginning.htm).

You can do it! :hug:

knitqueen
11-21-2006, 11:52 PM
I found knitting socks very tricky at first but that was ONLY because I had never knit in the round on dpns before. If you are able to do that (or any method of small diameter circular knitting.....magic loop, 2 circs, or dpns) then you can for sure make socks! They are so not as complicated as they seem, and sock patterns are generally very well written and step by step, as long as you trust the pattern it should be fairly smooth sailing. But like the others have said, you have loads of time to practice. I say go for it!

:muah:

P.S. I also HIGHLY recommend the book Hildie suggested. It is very good and has such wonderful patterns, 'how-to', and the photos are amazing. :thumbsup:

*KnitPixie*
11-22-2006, 02:20 AM
I have knit in the round before on DPNS I knit tiny hats and booties for preemies, sooo maybe I can do this the problem I am worried most about is the grafting and heel :oo: I dont know why but it makes me nervous! I have to admit though I think I am going to give it a go :hiding: :blooby: I mean whats the worse that can happen..I'll have to frog it, it's not like I never had to do that before :teehee: I am going to use some yarn I have lying around to practice. Thanks everyone for your encouragement :muah:

Rorshach
11-22-2006, 03:55 AM
Socks are one of those things that look hard to do, but aren't. Best thing you can do is ask lots of questions. after you've gotten through the first sock, it'll be real easy for the second one, and you may have a new addiction. at least, I found that's true in my case.

Basically the skills you need to knit a sock are casting on, decreasing, picking up stitches, the kitchner stitch or three needle bind-off. if you can do many or all of these, socks will be pretty much a cinch for ya.

misstialouise
11-22-2006, 06:08 AM
you can do it!!! sock knitting is one of those things in knitting that looks hard but isn't. Check out the book Sensational Knitted Socks--- a DEFINITE "buy" in my opinion.

I agree!! I have this book and LURVE it!!!!

mulene
11-22-2006, 07:52 AM
I'm a third YO! for that book too - its fabulous. I got Cat Borhdi's Socks Soar On Two Circulars before I got that book. Cat's book is ok for getting the basic technique of 2 circs but the sensational knitted socks one is superb for all.

ETA: Also you CAN do it. Honestly socks scared the pants off me before I tried. I hated the 4 needle method though I followed Silver's sock tutorial and was amazed at how easy it was to follow. I made two socks on 4 DPNS and then got Cat Borhdi's book. I love making them on two circs its so quick and easy.

They look hard but honestly its easy when you understand the basic sock construction. I still feel like I cast a magic spell every time I turn a heel =D

Socks are the instant gratification in Knitting IMO!

KellyK
11-22-2006, 08:16 AM
You can DOOO EEEEET, KP! I taught a sock class at my LYS and my only "requirement" for teaching it was that "Knitting Sensational Socks" had to come with the class. Its the BEST, IMHO. It also contains GREAT hints and tips about things like avoiding ladders and avoiding gaps at the tops of your gussets... tables on EVERYTHING from how much yarn you'll need depending on yarn weight to approximate foot measurements for every shoe size under the sun!

Also, let's not forget KH's videos!! There are videos on kitchener stitch, picking up stitches, AND turning a sock heel, and they're AWESOME!

In addition to everyone else's great advice, I might add that starting with a DK-wt sock can be helpful. Use yarn that you can knit up on 3's or so...

Socks are FUNNNN! They're small, portable and fairly QUICK knits... Im all excited for ya!!

Lieke
11-22-2006, 12:03 PM
Just try it. It isn't that hard. Don't worry about the heel, as long as you follow the pattern, you'll be fine. You can do it. If I can do it, everyone can (and I can do it ;))

mwedzi
11-22-2006, 01:47 PM
you can totally do it!

what sock swap thingy?