PDA

View Full Version : how to make larger booga bag

Paradoxical
11-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Hi, I have been knitting for a few weeks and really enjoying it. I am planning to make the booga bag, but I want to make a larger version for a knitting bag.

http://www.blacksheepbags.com/booga_bag.html

The pattern calls for 3 skeins with 34 st on the bottom and 100 in the round for 64 st. I will be using 4 skeins, so how much larger do you think I can make the bottom and sides with that extra skein?

Thanks for your help!

-Kristi

suzeeq
11-27-2006, 12:52 PM
I don't think it's a simple as 1/3 larger. Maybe 1/4...?

sue

Paradoxical
11-27-2006, 01:00 PM
I am hoping there is an easy mathmatical answer, but this is my second knitting project and I am still learning to read patterns. No way am I comfortable altering them yet!

janelanespaintbrush
11-27-2006, 01:04 PM
Here ya go. (http://www.thedietdiary.com/knittingfiend/tools/EstimatingYardageRectangles.html) It'll take a little bit of work since you'll have more than one rectangle, but hopefully, the calculator will make things a little simpler. :thumbsup:

HamburgKnitter
11-27-2006, 03:04 PM
I've been wanting to ask this same question!

If you figure it out, please let me know!!!! :notworthy:

gardenmommy
11-27-2006, 03:24 PM
One thing you can do if you want to "save" your Kureyon for the body of the bag is use a solid color of something feltable in a coordinating color, like Lamb's Pride or Cascade 220 (the not superwash types) for the bottom of the bag. If you double-strand the solid color as well, it will make the bottom especially sturdy.

SandraEllen
11-28-2006, 02:25 PM
There IS a way to figure it out, but it takes a spreadsheet and a lot of brain work. calculating total number of stitches of the original compared to number of skeins used...

Here's what I would do. I would start by making the handle. That's going to need to be done no matter what.

According to my quick spreadsheet I setup, you should be able to make it 45st by 34 rows by 70 rows tall w/o any problems. It'll probably turn out a little bit taller than 70. but you should be safe making it that big.