PDA

View Full Version : Easy seed-stitch pattern for straight needles

Bunny
11-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Hi!

Can anyone suggest an easy seed-stitch pattern for straight needles? or any easy hat pattern for straight needles, for that matter!

xx

janelanespaintbrush
11-27-2006, 12:39 PM
A scarf is about as easy as you can get. With seed stitch, you won't have to worry about curling so you could just make one long rectangle.

Here's (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kwetq-seamansScarfHat.html) a seed stitch hat that's worked on straight needles.

Bunny
11-28-2006, 03:56 AM
Thanks!

That looks like a cool hat, I like the roll.

The only thing is, I made a Debbie Bliss baby hat in moss stitch on straight needles (want to now make a similar hat for my friend, but unsure how to adjust so thought I would just find an adult pattern!) And, like that hat, the decreases involved purling and knitting three stitches together. I have done decreases of two stitches together before and that looked fine, but I've found three-together sometimes makes an ugly bump... unless it's just the way I'm doing it :(

What do you guys think...

janelanespaintbrush
11-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Yeah, you're likely to get a bigger bump knitting together 3 stitches versus two. It's just the nature of the beast -- more strands = more bulk. But if you want to decrease in seed stitch, you'll need to knit or purl 3 together to stay in pattern. If this really doesn't appeal to you, an alternative would be to make a hat with seed stitch in the cuff and stockinette for the main part of the hat -- then you'll be able to use k2tog for the decreasing in the crown area.