PDA

View Full Version : Dishcloth baby blanket help

rennfamily
11-29-2006, 10:09 AM
I'm making one of the dishcloth baby balnkets for a cousin. Is there anyway to make it a rectangle rather than square? Our cousin is 5 and to knit a square big enough for her to curl up under is gonna take forever!

Thanks

knitqueen
11-29-2006, 12:01 PM
Do you have a link to the pattern??

Jan in CA
11-29-2006, 12:43 PM
If you are doing the classic diagonal blanket I don't think there is anything to do to make it a rectangle. You could use bulky yarn and it would go faster though. :teehee:

gardenmommy
11-29-2006, 01:20 PM
There is most likely a way to increase/decrease once you have the width you want and keep going for length, just like a bias-knit scarf, but I haven't tried that pattern yet to figure out what that would be.

Here is a thread where a similar thing was discussed involving a scarf

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=296598&highlight=scarf+sky#296598

Jan in CA
11-29-2006, 01:26 PM
There is most likely a way to increase/decrease once you have the width you want and keep going for length, just like a bias-knit scarf, but I haven't tried that pattern yet to figure out what that would be.

I think that would affect the look of the pattern though. :?? :thinking:

rennfamily
11-29-2006, 04:08 PM
Thanks guys. I think what I'm gonna do is rip what I've done and find a different pattern. I used that one since it's so easy.

suzeeq
11-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Just like a bias/diagonal scarf only on a bigger scale. You increase until the sides are the width you want, then start the decreases on one side only and keep increasing on the other side until it's the length you want. Then begin decreasing on that side too.

sue

FluffyKnitter
12-10-2006, 03:27 PM
I'm completely new to this site, but your question came up in a search so I felt I HAD to reply!!

Yes, there is a way to make the afghan rectangular. Keep increasing until blanket is the width that you want. Then, you'll need to knit 2 tog, allow a space and YO to maintain the decorative edge.

Now, the caveat. This blanket isn't very nice rectangular because the bias stretches it all out of shape due to the weight of the yarn. I have made one. I hated it and pulled it all out before I finished because of this stretching. That is why I no longer have the instructions. You can make the square fairly large, but not the rectangle.

If you really like that bias technique, and know how to crochet, try making a bunch of smaller, 12 inch squares and putting those together with some kind of sashing. Surrounding each square with some crochet strengthens the knitting preventing the stretching.

Now is the time to expand your skills to something else! Once you have a ripple afghan started, it's fairly mindless for car trips and TV watching. A ripple that uses garter stitch is particularly soft no matter what yarn it is.

suzeeq
12-10-2006, 04:20 PM
I'm completely new to this site, but your question came up in a search so I felt I HAD to reply!!

Yes, there is a way to make the afghan rectangular. Keep increasing until blanket is the width that you want. Then, you'll need to knit 2 tog, allow a space and YO to maintain the decorative edge.

Now, the caveat. This blanket isn't very nice rectangular because the bias stretches it all out of shape due to the weight of the yarn. I have made one. I hated it and pulled it all out before I finished because of this stretching. That is why I no longer have the instructions. You can make the square fairly large, but not the rectangle.

Hadn't thought of that aspect of it, but you're right. This pattern probably only works well as a square.

sue