PDA

View Full Version : Endpaper mitts

lauraknits
12-08-2006, 12:13 PM
I think this will be a cool exercise in knitting fair isle and using small dpns. Anyone up for this? I think it's not quite as scary/complicated at it looks. I have gotten through the ribbing and a couple rows into pattern.

Join me!

Hope the link works, my first time trying....

http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2006/11/endpaper_mitts.html

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-08-2006, 01:44 PM
ooo those look pretty!!!!!!! I'm skerred of such tiny DPNs tho!!!

lauraknits
12-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Come on! You know you want to... join me!
:hug:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-08-2006, 06:42 PM
But I have to finish my christmas knitting first!

lauraknits
12-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Well, ok then. I suppose I should finish mine too... but I need a break from felted clogs!

I started, but not really with the colors I wanted. I wanted to use some fingerweight wool in teal blue with pine green for the pattern but the LYS didn't have anything like that so I ended up getting this washable wool/cashmere blend that I think is OK. I'm not sure how I feel about the colors. The red is a LOT darker than it appears on my photo (thank you, camera flash). It is hard to see the pattern sometimes. I guess I should have thought of that...

Once I have done the K1P1 cuff and gotten to the pattern it has gotten easier - bigger dpn's and no purling. I am on the first chart and so far/so good! I have read through the whole pattern and there is a lot around the thumb that I don't understand yet, hopefully it will make sense when I get there. I also don't know what it means to know how to increase/decrease in pattern, but there are instructions on her site so I am counting on taking some scrap yarn and making sure I know what I am doing when I get there..

lauraknits
12-09-2006, 12:02 PM
I'm going to keep talking to myself on this thread and if anyone wants to comment, feel free, even if you don't want to join me in knitting this. I am hoping someone will join me though!

I am frustrated. The knitting is going fine (so far) but I don't like my colors!! I tried to take a picture that really shows this but I can't figure out how to turn off the damn flash on my camera! The problem is the combo is too dark and I cannot see the pattern hardly at all, even under the bright light of my craft lamp. It does NOT look like this picture. I think I might go back to the LYS shop today and see if they have a light ice blue and frog back down to the cuff and start again. I think that might look nice....

Here's the pic so far, even though it does NOT really look like this. If it did, I'd keep going.

Guin
12-09-2006, 12:27 PM
The colors look fine .

Is fair isle knitting really easy ?
In all the years so far that I have been knitting I have yet to give fair isle a try . :oops:

Perhaps after the holidays , I will give this pattern a chance .

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-09-2006, 11:26 PM
I like your colors, but I think you're right in that a bigger contrast would be good. Blue and gray will look great!!

I'm still interested in doing these... I think I'm going to use Knitpicks Palette (http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/itemid_5420132/yarn_display).
What do you think of Apricot and Bark?
http://www.knitpicks.com/kpimages/regular/23714.jpg
http://www.knitpicks.com/kpimages/regular/23737.jpg

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-09-2006, 11:28 PM
Guin, Fair Isle, isn't too bad... the most important thing is to make sure that you carry the colors loosely. Why not try a small swatch to practice?

Angelia
12-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Ooh, those look gorgeous together, Hild!

I also think a more stark contrast would work better on yours, Laura, though what you have is lovely!

Guin, try fair isle! It's not difficult at all, particularly not once you get a rhythm going!

CateKnits
12-09-2006, 11:30 PM
I like your colors, but I think you're right in that a bigger contrast would be good. Blue and gray will look great!!

I'm still interested in doing these... I think I'm going to use Knitpicks Palette (http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/itemid_5420132/yarn_display).
What do you think of Apricot and Bark?
http://www.knitpicks.com/kpimages/regular/23714.jpg
http://www.knitpicks.com/kpimages/regular/23737.jpg

I have to say, I love your color choice. But I could be slightly biased...

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-09-2006, 11:40 PM
hahah why would you be biased???

CateKnits
12-09-2006, 11:42 PM
:shrug: It's got nothing to do with orange and brown being RIT colors or anything.

Angelia
12-10-2006, 09:05 AM
:teehee:

dplantlady
12-10-2006, 09:41 AM
Hi Laura,

This is a really pretty pattern...one I might try after the holidaze...madly knitting presents right now.

Just a question: Did you use the tubular cast-on method? It's kinda hard to tell in the pics. Never done it myself, gonna hafta give it a try as it looks really cool with ribbing! And, I've been looking for a handwarmer pattern that wasn't just stockinette or ribbing.

It's too bad you don't like the look of the two colors together :verysad:
They (and the pattern) look really cool in the photos!

Diane

lauraknits
12-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Yeah Hilde!

Those are great colors! I ripped out my red yesterday. My husband loves the pattern and those colors together and he wants me to make a hat out of them, so that's what I'm going to do with that. I got myself some light light blue (like arctic blue, almost grey) and started it yesterday. I like it much better, will post a pic later.

I did use the tubular cast on called for by the pattern. Is that the same as a cable cast on? I just followed the link in the pattern to the instructions with video and did that. It was a little awkward and I can't tell any difference really, so I'm not sure I did it right.

I still have to get the last sole of one more felt clog done, felt them, and knit a couple xmas stocking to felt, so I shouldn't be moving too fast.

Plenty of time to join in!

dplantlady
12-10-2006, 12:10 PM
Again, just curious...

How did you get the video on the cast-on method to work? Even though I have the quick time video program, there was only a blank space with the bar below it! Grrrrrr.....

Diane

Guin
12-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Guin, Fair Isle, isn't too bad... the most important thing is to make sure that you carry the colors loosely. Why not try a small swatch to practice?
Yeah, that would be the best thing for me to do , instead of just jumping right in . The last time I did that was to learn how to do cables. Took me 3 years to finish a simple cabled sweater :oops: But it looks fab. and is so warm . :happydance:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-10-2006, 07:48 PM
that reminds me, I just bought yarn for a cabled sweater!! :doh:

lauraknits
12-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Ok, I changed colors. I don't k,now if the fact that this is ice blue and not white actually comes through, but here's what I have so far. I like these colors much better, I am so glad I switched!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-10-2006, 11:53 PM
it does look white but WOWWEEEEE what a difference!!!!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-11-2006, 01:18 AM
The new Knitty has a great article on Stranded Knitting (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/FEATwin06TT.html)

Guin
12-11-2006, 06:44 PM
The new Knitty has a great article on Stranded Knitting (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/FEATwin06TT.html)

Printed it out , sure to be very helpfull , Thanks sooooo much !

:cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-11-2006, 07:45 PM
:thumbsup: That's my job!!!!

redwitch
12-31-2006, 08:33 AM
I don't share Eunny's love for faux seams and have also seen that other people find the little finger-seam rides up onto the back of the hand. I eliminated both seams first but got a jog I couldn't fix (yes I know about the jogless jog). So now I have one seam on the thumb only. I also continued the pattern out a bit - I am using 60 stitches total. I added 3 stitches, I think, in place of the pattern seam, so that the pattern flows through seamlessly between repeats.

If you can see where the pattern would go if there were more columns, you can do it: I added one column on the right of chart A, and two columns on the left. So there's an entire diamond at the edges (if you ignore the small diamond in the middle, there are two bigger outer diamonds: it is the inner of these that's intact in my version, not the largest).

For the thumb (chart B) I added one more column on the left, increasing as the original chart does. So the first row, from left, reads
Bwwbwb...The capital B (for black) is not present on the original first row of the thumb chart. I just coloured in some more dots where necessary and redrew the outline one square to the left. I follow the pattern to the end, ignoring the right-hand end (although you could draw the extra column? or two columns?). So where it's bbbwwbwbww I continue that all the way round rather than counting where I am along the chart.
I come to the end of the round in a mirror image.
So first row starts bwwbwb.. and ends bwbwwb, then the seam stitch, then the next round.

I'm making them in medium, where Eunny specifies gauge of 7.5 spi, with my modifications (60 stitches) the gauge is 8 spi. Any thoughts on the changes, I'd love to hear them.

I'm using black and white... am hesitant with these mitts, I think there's a high potential for them to look like carpet in the wrong colours, especially a brownish colour. Plus not much wool choice at the shop... the black and cream don't look carpety but I'm not sure I like these colours. But my mum does so they'll go to her if I don't like them... they're really just practice for Eunny's Anemoi mittens. Divine.
I guess I have medium-sized arms, but found my first go too big. This may be my knitting and not the pattern necessarily, but I'm erring on the small side of gauge. My measurement 7.5" if anyone's interested.

Encouragement - I've never done any colourwork before and am having no problems so do jump in! I suggest a swatch with your recommended 56 stitches and practice the colourwork pattern first though. Don't forget to read Eunny's tips on Fair Isle, also the Knitty article. KEEP THE STRANDS LOOSE is all I can say. Especially at the DPN joins.
And I like the tubular cast-on, I think. Don't forget to pull out the extra strand later - Eunny's pattern doesn't remind you. It's flaring out a bit, as some have found, but I think blocking will help, and it's stretched out when you're wearing them. Will let you know how I go with that.
Sarah

lauraknits
12-31-2006, 12:31 PM
What great timing! I just picked these up again yesterday and am beginning the thumb gusset. I got confused on row 2 but when I stopped and actually read the directions carefully it made sense. Your notes are great. If I make them again I may try it without the "seam." Right now I think I just need to make sure I can do it accurately...

I am not too sure about the pattern either. You are right, it can look like a carpet. But for some reason I find it compelling. Maybe because the pattern is so easy to read and follow.

I am glad someone is still on this thread, as I may have questions soon....

redwitch
01-01-2007, 07:10 AM
I have completed one (not to mention the several repeats I ripped) so thought I'd share for anyone working on these...

I got exactly the measurements given without even blocking! Yay for those gauge swatches, as much as they are a pain they are necessary, and less of a pain than getting a mitt that could fit Arnie. Or Barbie.0
For the thumb I used the YO increases described by Eunny in her Fair Isle tips post. I mirrored the YO, which she mentions, but says isn't necessary. Well on one side of the seam they were flawless and invisible (don't forget to twist them later when you knit them) but the other side is lumpy and gapy and uneven. Further corroboration: as soon as I noticed, I started using the other-direction YO and it flattened out and became lovely. Now this may be a result of the way I knit, not of how those YOs go, so I'm not saying don't mirror your YOs if you want to - just keep an eye on the gusset, hopefully if anyone else gets the same result they'll notice it a bit sooner for reading this.
It was the YOs going up at the front of the needle (closer to me) and down on the far side/back of the needle that were wonky, although that's the way I usually do YOs. The other way came out nice and flat. And honestly, thinking about how they work and what the difference is, I can't see even noticing the difference myself, and I am fussy. I'll never bother mirroring them again.
I like that cast-off, it's definitely worth doing in my opinion! I found the ribbing a tad too tight on the thumb, but think blocking will fix that, and the hand ribbing a touch looser than I like, but I like tight, and shall cast off accordingly on the second mitt, which I shall do in negative colours, as Bewildery did.
http://flickr.com/photos/23896590@N00/322381568/

I am amazed by the way you can increase IN PATTERN this is so cool! The pattern flows completely uninterrupted along that thumb diagonal. It looks like it's been cut out of patterned fabric. Eunny you rock.

After blocking, if the stitches haven't fully evened out, I will use a thin needle or tapestry needle to even them up. I had to close up holes at the thumb too. On the next one, when I leave off stitches for the thumb on spare wool, I shall use a safety pin to hold the fabric of the palm closed securely there, and hopefully the stitches between will be less stretched out as a result.

In closing, they would make nice full mittens also, and I regret my colour choice and shall probably make a second pair. Maybe after the Anemoi mittens.

Sarah