PDA

View Full Version : Doubts with Shimmer Chevron Striped Scarf

ojosverdes
12-12-2006, 12:22 PM
Hi everybody!!
Hereīs a new knitter, a beginner one!
Iīm trying to begin with this pattern on Knittinghelp.com "Shimmer Chevron Striped Scarf", it looks easy for beginners... but I have a little problem, if someone can help!!

I really donīt understand this part of the pattern, it says: Inc 1 by knitting in back and front of next K st. I don't know if my english is not as good as I thought... or it's just that I don't understand the video for increasing. May I increase 2 st?

If someone can help...

Thanks a lot!
[/url]

five_six
12-12-2006, 12:24 PM
ummm... not sure if i get what your saying or not, but you won't be increasing 2 stitches when you knit front and back of stitch, you will only be increasing one, as you are still knitting the original stitch (in the front), not sliding it off the needle, but then inserting into the back of the stitch and knitting again to create the 1 stitch increase, then slide the stitch/s onto the other needle.

qt
12-29-2006, 02:49 AM
I also share the confusion by ojosverdes on the instructions and five_six's answer didn't clear up the confusion either.

I've played around with different ways of interpreting the chevron pattern, but I'm just not getting it to resemble the picture. In one instance, I even ended up with 6 more stitches. Obviously, I'm not doing something right.

Row 1: K2, *inc 1 by knitting in back and front of next K st, K4, sl 1, k2 tog, psso, K4, inc in back and front of next st*, repeat between *'s twice more, end with K2.

So step-by-step, here are my points of confusion:
K2 - ok
increase 1 [as in M1B and then M1F videos? or is it one stitch?]
K4 - ok
sl 1 [as in the sl 1 p video?]
k2tog - ok
psso [as in sl 1 k, k1, psso?]
K4 - ok
increase [M1B and M1F again? Since the pattern is to repeat again from the increase, does this mean that 2 increases follow each other?]

Thanks for the help.

suzeeq
12-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Row 1: K2, *inc 1 by knitting in back and front of next K st, K4, sl 1, k2 tog, psso, K4, inc in back and front of next st*, repeat between *'s twice more, end with K2.

So step-by-step, here are my points of confusion:
K2 - ok
increase 1 [as in M1B and then M1F videos? or is it one stitch?]

Neither. Look at the video for kfb. You knit the next stitch as usual, but don't slide it off the needle. Knit it again in the back loop/leg, then slide it off. You've increased by 1 stitch.

K4 - ok
sl 1 [as in the sl 1 p video?]
k2tog - ok
psso [as in sl 1 k, k1, psso?]

Yes, slip 1 stitch to the right needle, k2tog, then pass the slipped stitch over the stitch that resulted when you k2tog.

K4 - ok
increase [M1B and M1F again? Since the pattern is to repeat again from the increase, does this mean that 2 increases follow each other?]

Thanks for the help.

Use the kfb increase, then begin the repeat and yes there are 2 increases together. At the end of the row there will just be 1 increase to balance the the single increase at the beginning of the row.

sue