PDA

View Full Version : Traveling/flying with knitting projects

Freckle432
12-13-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm sure this has been visited before, but does anyone know if knitting can be taken on planes? DH and I are planning a trip to Cabo, and I want to knit whilst we fly. Anyone else have any experience with this?

I'm assuming I'll only be able to have wooden or bamboo DP's or circ's, right? No KP Options probably?

madametj
12-13-2006, 10:37 PM
http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21139&start=0

Freckle432
12-13-2006, 10:38 PM
thanks!

Vendie
12-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Generally, yes you can, but there are exceptions, especially when it comes to International flights. It basically gets down to whether the security at the airport your departing from will let you get away with it. But the TSA says they're allowed.

I just flew domestic and was able to take my Options with me. No questions asked.

But I would suggest taking needles you don't care about losing or postage-paid envelopes in case they decide it's a no-go.

joe_doufu
12-13-2006, 10:42 PM
Generally, yes you can, but there are exceptions, especially when it comes to International flights.

My experience is that in general security is tighter for flights within the US than internationally. Last time I flew in the US you couldn't even take a bottle of water on a flight!

itscryttle
12-13-2006, 11:02 PM
We flew in Oct from Alaska to California and I had bamboo circ's in my purse and they didn't question me about them at all.

They are allowed. Usually if you go to your airlines website there is a list of no-no's there.

Vendie
12-13-2006, 11:17 PM
Generally, yes you can, but there are exceptions, especially when it comes to International flights.

My experience is that in general security is tighter for flights within the US than internationally. Last time I flew in the US you couldn't even take a bottle of water on a flight!

Yeah, that's true, but apparently only for liquids. I've heard some people say that they couldn't bring their knitting when flying to the US from another country.

There's a woman I work with who is absolutely amazed that I can bring my knitting needles on board a plane. I told her, trust me, you'd rather fly with me WITH my needles than WITHOUT. Especially if it's a long flight. Yikes, just the thought of the withdrawl makes me cringe a little :teehee:

Doublereeder2
12-14-2006, 11:36 AM
We fly to Mexico yearly. I have no problems flying from the U.S.

However, when flying from Mexico back to the U.S., I have not been allowed to take my knitting in carry-on. I have to put it in the regular packed luggage. :pout:

chilpepmom
12-14-2006, 08:38 PM
We just flew to and from Puerto Vallarta last week. I knitted both directions. I just did not take any scissors in my carry on bag.

kschmitz
12-15-2006, 09:58 PM
I've taken bamboo circs and DPNs on several US flights. I take one of those round yarn cutters instead of scissors. No problems! (Now watch, I'll have problems on the flight I'm taking tomorrow. :doh: )