PDA

View Full Version : what's your favorite music?

john66mustang
12-14-2006, 05:52 PM
Hey ladies,
Do any of you have a favorite artist or genre of music that you like to listen to while you're knitting? My favorite recent music release would have to be Andrea Bocelli's Under the Desert Sky. It's a great cd I got at work (umgd) which includes songs from Amore and then some duets with Stevie Wonder, Chris Botti, Katherine McPhee, and Heather Headley. It also comes with a dvd from his performance at the Lake Las Vegas Resort.

HamburgKnitter
12-14-2006, 05:58 PM
I work in the music industry...and knitting is my way of getting away from the stress. So I find I enjoy knitting most in absolute silence. Or to the sound of a cat purring. :heart:

janelanespaintbrush
12-14-2006, 06:54 PM
Usually when I'm listening to music, I really do like to listen and get lost in it (this usually involves lying down with eyes closed -- I'm weird, I know). So I can't really knit at the same time unless I'm listening to something pretty mindless. As for favorite non-knitting music, it's pretty eclectic. The last album I got was Ecdysis by Miho Hatori (formerly of Cibo Matto). It's not exactly new, but it's only been available as an import so I wasn't able to get a good price on one until I found a used copy. I give it a :thumbsup:.

psammeadred
12-14-2006, 10:41 PM
I like to listen to accuradio.com stations (mostly the classical, Celtic, and Christmas).

jberry16
12-15-2006, 12:10 AM
country mostly but I like celtic too

misstialouise
12-15-2006, 12:45 AM
I'm a jazz fan. But 40's style jazz, not that modern fusion stuff. So classic Jazz, Lounge (ie: Crooners) and Big Band.. :D

aineepooh1
12-15-2006, 04:08 AM
Love Country :cheering: :cheering: also like evanessence, and modern rock :teehee:

cara
12-15-2006, 08:50 AM
Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews, Blind Melon, Gypsy Kings, Manu Chau, Eminem, Avril Lavinge, Harry Connick Jr, Elvis, Bob Marley, Ziggy Marley, Cold Play, Fiona Apple, Canadian Brass, Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, toots and the maytals, Rufus Wainwright, Bare Naked Ladies, Aerosmith, Rage Against the Machine,

Yup, that is what is playing on my machine....

I've got a 'well rounded' taste ...yeah... thats what I'll call it....

miccisue
12-15-2006, 09:05 AM
oldies, oldies, oldies!!!!!!!! 60's and early 70's in particular. Ah, the memories.......

haloheaven
12-15-2006, 09:25 AM
Usually when I'm listening to music, I really do like to listen and get lost in it (this usually involves lying down with eyes closed -- I'm weird, I know). So I can't really knit at the same time unless I'm listening to something pretty mindless. As for favorite non-knitting music, it's pretty eclectic. The last album I got was Ecdysis by Miho Hatori (formerly of Cibo Matto). It's not exactly new, but it's only been available as an import so I wasn't able to get a good price on one until I found a used copy. I give it a :thumbsup:.

I really miss Cibo Matto! I'm so happy we can hear Miho in The Gorillaz...She is soo flaming cool... Didn't know she had a solo album out , 'tis awesome
no doubt :)

janelanespaintbrush
12-15-2006, 09:33 AM
I really miss Cibo Matto! I'm so happy we can hear Miho in The Gorillaz...She is soo flaming cool... Didn't know she had a solo album out , 'tis awesome

:noway: What is this "Gorillaz" you speak of? Enquiring minds wanna know.

Speaking of Miho, were you aware of this one (http://www.amazon.com/Two-EPs-Smokey-Miho/dp/B0000A1HPT/ref=pd_sim_m_2/002-6149084-7945641)? Sorta Astrud Gilberto-ish.

You probably already know that Yuka has a couple things out too -- this one (http://www.amazon.com/Memories-Are-My-Only-Witness/dp/B00005YSUB/sr=1-2/qid=1166190267/ref=sr_1_2/002-6149084-7945641?ie=UTF8&s=music) is probably one of my very favorite albums ever.

You know, you guys... I'm starting to wonder... do you think this was this a legitimate thread to begin with? It's the only post the OP ever wrote.

haloheaven
12-15-2006, 09:55 AM

What is this "Gorillaz" you speak of?

The other thing I'm wondering is... was this a legitimate thread to begin with? It's the only post the OP ever wrote.

my stars! you haven't heard of the Gorillaz? They are a kind of super group (Hugely Beloved) made of some of the greatest music makers of today.. They play a fictional cartoon character band ...Miho's alter-ego is Noodle
You must hear this song It's soo heartbreakingly beautiful!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lvFpxN4DwI

and here's one you can hear Miho's soaring voice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phnzKY_VxNQ
:)

haloheaven
12-15-2006, 10:25 AM
WoW! I'm going to have to look for their albums on Ebay...I'm trying very hard not to listen to the samples on your amazon link...I shall have to wait and be surprised but the bossa nova-ish tracks on the Gorillaz albums were amazing !

janelanespaintbrush
12-15-2006, 10:44 AM
my stars! you haven't heard of the Gorillaz?

:blush: Nope. I have to admit that I've been pretty delinquent about keeping up with music over the last five years or so... I guess you could say I've been lapsing into fuddy duddy-ism. :teehee: Actually, what happened is that I stopped listening to the radio when I started working from home. At first, I was watching a lot of TV because I was obsessed with the stock market at the time, and I really liked being able to have CNBC on all day -- not that I made a lot of money or anything, because I didn't (have since lost my interest in it). Since then I really never bothered to hook up my office for radio listening. I really should try to make some room for speakers in here -- everything sounds crappy coming out of my computer, and I don't like to wear headphones if I can help it. *sigh* And the thing is, I don't just miss the college stations, but NPR too.

Anyhoo, I had a cursory listen to the links you gave. (Thanks for sharing those!) So far, I'm a little underwhelmed, but I could see the first song growing on me, especially since I'm a sucker for strings. I'll have to tell DH to look into them -- he's having trouble shopping for Christmas presents for me... speaking of which, who else do you like music-wise? Maybe I can give him more "leads."

hellokitty165
12-15-2006, 11:13 AM
i like boceli too... josh groban...enya..sarah brightman...all new age and yoga music for me....

jessi_9783
12-15-2006, 11:45 AM
I don't really listen to music when I knit. I prefer to listen to podcasts, mostly knitting and technology, Podiobooks, and audiobooks. I only listen to music when I don't have any podcast or audiobooks to listen to. I love scifi/fantasy and classics. I love all things 80s, but I probably listen to mostly pop and stuff that doesn't get to be played on radio because radio seems to only let Britney and her followers on the airwaves. Right now I love listening to Marit Larsen's Under the Surface. Check her out on MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/maritlarsenofficial) and definitely watch the Under the Surface video. I love India.Arie (http://www.myspace.com/indiaarie) and I'm addicted to all of her albums. If someone told me I could have only one album for the rest of my life I would choose one of her albums.

Other people I enjoy include, Allison Crowe (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=12543877), Anna Nalick (http://www.myspace.com/annanalick), Bill Withers, Brian McKnight (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=38740884), Celine Dion, Destiny's Child, Dixie Chicks, Duran Duran, Fleetwood Mac, Genesis/Phil Collins, James Taylor, John Legend (http://www.myspace.com/johnlegend), Micheal Jackson, Janet Jackson, LeAnn Rimes, Luther Vandross, slutty Madonna of the 80s not to be confused with Kabbalah Madonna, Mariah Carey, Maroon 5 (http://www.myspace.com/maroon5), Martina McBride, Nelly, Nikka Costa (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=15920151), Rascal Flatts, Toby Lightman (http://www.myspace.com/tobylightman), Will Smith, and Whitney Houston before she became a crackhead and still made albums.

feministmama
12-15-2006, 12:17 PM
I was just listening to podcast of NPR shows like Wait wait don't tell me and THis American Life. Music wise I like Elliott Smith, Billie Holiday, Imogen, Coltrane, Dead Can Dance or Cocteau Twins. Mostly though I knit in class, meetings, on the bus or while watching teevee (movies)

jessi_9783
12-15-2006, 12:36 PM
I love Wait Wait! And I only knit at work and on road trips. I have the best job because I can knit and listen to podcasts and audiobooks.

haloheaven
12-15-2006, 10:30 PM
hate to do this to you since you hate headphones but this Gorillaz song is
Brazilian jazz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS147Wkin_M

Okay my favorite favorite band since 2002 is Trespassers William love love them http://www.amazon.com/Different-Stars-Trespassers-William/dp/B00030M7SU/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2a_3_img/103-2997398-2389455

This is called Anchor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFM9VS_dpYs

I also love Emiliana Torrini
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZg6VMf_23o

haloheaven
12-15-2006, 10:35 PM
jessi_9783,
Nikka Costa has an incredible voice on Push and Pull -her voice whistles! Truly astounding! :)

mystery
12-15-2006, 10:38 PM
I listen to this new age CD Real Piano: A Collection. It's so relaxing... I also used it for my wedding music.
http://www.muchmusic.net/real_piano_collection_wma_download

janelanespaintbrush
12-15-2006, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the recommendations, Haloheaven! I will definitely check them all out! ;)

SabrinaJL
12-16-2006, 08:26 PM
I like different music, but when I'm knitting I mostly listen to loud, fast rock/metal. Disturbed, Rob Zombie, Hinder, 30 Seconds to Mars, Avenged Sevenfold, NIN, etc... It really speeds up my knitting.

nonny2t
12-16-2006, 08:30 PM
We have DirectTv which has XM radio so I can listen to 60's music and that is what I like or 40's music, but I really am a 60's kind of gal or old lady or whatever. If I am playing my CD's I like Neil Diamond, Neil Sedaka, Rod Stewart, Bobby Darren, Tom Jones, just to name a few. I could go on and on.

jodstr2
12-16-2006, 10:09 PM
currently on my Shuffle I have 5 Ursula 1000 albums, a bunch of Sinatra, a ton of surf guitar, selections from Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, a few Rammstein, and 3 Thievery Corp albums. I listen to those while knitting or waiting at tkd for Dyl.

while at work I listen to Secret Agent spy electronica/lounge, or light jazz, or Hawaiian stuff on iTunes radio. in the car, currently it's 96.5 KOIT, mostly, 'cuz they've been playing Christmas tunes nonstop since like the weekend before Thanksgiving. other times of year in the car I alternate between 105.3 (alternative), 103.3 (Santa Clara Univ), 95.7 (a mixture of 70s-80s-90s), 102.1 (classical), or 103.7 (smooth jazz).

I was raised surrounded by too many musical styles to name since my dad is a music major, musician, and retired music teacher. generally speaking the only things I don't care for are "new country" and rap/r&b/hip-hop.

geekgolightly
12-17-2006, 05:45 PM
miles davis, skullflower, scrawl, the oblivians, the renderers, wynona carr, pj harvey and the ever entertaining courtney love

NakedPancakes
12-17-2006, 10:17 PM
I usually watch television when I knit (House!) or anysort of movies.

I enjoy listening to lots of different kinds of music though. I like Frank Sinatra, Air Supply, George Michael, She Wants Revenge, Phillip Glass,
Dane Cook (even though he's a comedian), Malice Mizer, Marilyn Manson, Miyavi, Phantasmagoria, Moi Dix Mois, Gazette, Nightwish, Slipknot, Mindless Self Indulgence, The Cat Empire, and DeVotchKa.

FearTheSpork
12-18-2006, 06:51 AM
Oh, I listen to Broadway and opera mostly, whether I'm knitting or doing something else. Or maybe some opera/pop crossover music (Josh Groban, etc). Stuff like that. Right now, it's mostly Michael Crawford's Christmas album and Kristin Chenoweth's Christian album, As I Am, and Josh Groban's new album, Awake.

PurpleMittens
12-18-2006, 08:01 AM
When knitting I usually listen to "classical" music, although I don't actually listen to very much from the classical era itself. My favorites are baroque instrumental music (especially Vivaldi's wind concerti) and most of the music from the great Romantic symphonists.

Recently I have been listening to the 22 symphonies of Beethoven, Brahms, and Dvorak in sequence.

FearTheSpork
12-18-2006, 08:18 AM
When knitting I usually listen to "classical" music, although I don't actually listen to very much from the classical era itself.

This is off-topic, but you're one of the only people I know, besides myself, who knows the difference between the different eras in 'classical' music. You ROCK.

And so does Vivaldi.

jessi_9783
12-18-2006, 11:04 AM
jessi_9783,
Nikka Costa has an incredible voice on Push and Pull -her voice whistles! Truly astounding! :)
I totally agree. I love her and wish she were more popular. It's been a few years since "Everyone Got Their Something" came out and it's still played in commercials. I have friends who have gone through my CD collection and want to know who she is. They are usually shocked when I tell them they've been hearing her for years, most recently in Pantine Pro V commercials. I'm addicted to her latest album. I play Can'tneverdidnothin', Till I Get To You, and Funkier Than a Mosquito's Tweeter over and over.

Webigail
12-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Great thread...
I love music. period. I'm pretty ecclectic; I'm thrilled that there are so many artists mentioned, that I have never heard of. I'll be sure to take a listen.

Right now, I'm enjoying Robert Randolph and the Family Band.

Rorshach
12-18-2006, 03:26 PM
As far as music goes, I'll listen to a bit of everything, but while I'm knitting, I like to hear mostly new age artists, like Mannheim Steamroller, Cusco, Hillary Stagg and Enya. Subconsciously it helps me to relax even more.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-18-2006, 10:25 PM
Oh, I listen to Broadway and opera mostly, whether I'm knitting or doing something else. Or maybe some opera/pop crossover music (Josh Groban, etc). Stuff like that. Right now, it's mostly Michael Crawford's Christmas album and Kristin Chenoweth's Christian album, As I Am, and Josh Groban's new album, Awake.

It's my long-lost SISTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

yeah_im_crazy
12-18-2006, 11:02 PM
right now i am listening to the high school musical soundtrack. anybody else out there a fan-or maybe your kids?? i also like a lot of 80s music, even thoug it is before my time-haha. like, all the songs from the wedding singer soundtrack are awesome-those are the types of songs i like. also oldies like stuff on k earth 101.....beatles...and hip/hop rnb stuf is ok.....it depends on whatsong....... i have a wide variety of music taste.
oh i like broadway stuff too!!! i like the "wicked" musical thing cd.

mulene
12-19-2006, 10:40 AM
I work in the music industry...and knitting is my way of getting away from the stress. So I find I enjoy knitting most in absolute silence. Or to the sound of a cat purring. :heart:

Me too!

I work with music on the go all day long. Oddly I don't have a music player of any kind in my car (I drive to and from work) but I do sing to myself some really stupid STUPID songs that if anyone heard me, they would think I was a loony.

When I am home I like the peace. I hear some truly awful stuff in the day that people send in for consideration :teehee: but I also get to hear some really great stuff too. Just that at the end of the day and on weekends its really nice to hear silence or, as you say, a cat purring =D

mulene
12-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Oh and I also happen to LOVE Gorillaz

Carol_OH
12-19-2006, 02:39 PM
What is this "Gorillaz" you speak of?

I know I'm too old to have crushes on rock stars, but Damon Albarn *melt*

:D

dustinac
12-19-2006, 03:56 PM
I like to listen to country but mostly we play Nat King Cole, Clooney, the big bands like Miller... Sinatra... Cline... lol we love our Fred Astaire CD...dh listens to everything but I can't get into the heavier stuff I can't understand what they are saying :oops: :rofl:

I also like the Gaithers and Christian CDs...

However my all time favorite singer is Elvis hands down.. I love his music..and could listen to it all the time.. if dh didn't make that face and gag... :rofl:

FearTheSpork
12-20-2006, 02:14 AM

It's my long-lost SISTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

Are you obsessed with Michael Crawford and Kristin Chenoweth too? YAY!!!

FearTheSpork wrote:

oh i like broadway stuff too!!! i like the "wicked" musical thing cd.

Wicked is nice, but there are a lot of other awesome musicals.

Frankly, I'm quite sick of Wicked. It's SO mainstream...it's cool, and all, but really, there IS life after Wicked!

I hate High School Musical, by the way...The plot isn't done well at all, and the singing is horrendous. Have any of the singers in it ever heard of breath support at all?

Sorry, this is really off topic.

I forgot about Michael Crawford's Disney album. Don't scoff; I know it's Disney, but it's amazing. Also...well, anything Michael Crawford sings. Same applies to Kristin Chenoweth and Lea Salonga.

Quiltlady
12-20-2006, 01:17 PM
I watch tv while I knit. But when I am sewing or doing machine embroidery I have on either Josh Groban, IL Divo or Barry Manilow. I really LOVE listening to THEM when I'm being creative. :happydance: