PDA

View Full Version : Yarn Guide?

Mariblue
12-17-2006, 12:51 AM
Hello, I'm thinking about making my first sweater, but still am pretty much clueless as to what type of yarn to use. Is there a yarn guide that someone could point me to? One that tells whether or not a certain type of wool will pill or not... or what tends to be more itchy... that kind of thing.
I like the price of the lion brand wool-ease, but wonder about the amount of acrylic in it, would that itch or be scratchy? Would the sweater look all baggy and unshaped since I can't block it?
Thanks for any help, and if anyone likes any brands, that'd be a good thing to know as well.
Mariblue

Julie
12-17-2006, 01:05 AM
There are extensive reviews of a ton of different yarns here:

http://www.knittersreview.com/yarn.asp

They're very thorough and IMO very helpful! :D

suzeeq
12-17-2006, 01:21 AM
I like the price of the lion brand wool-ease, but wonder about the amount of acrylic in it, would that itch or be scratchy? Would the sweater look all baggy and unshaped since I can't block it?
Thanks for any help, and if anyone likes any brands, that'd be a good thing to know as well.
Mariblue

Wool ease isn't as scratchy as 100% wool. It will block a little, but acrylic does not mean sweaters will be baggy because you can't block them. Throw them in the wash and dry and they hold their shape well.

sue

Ingrid
12-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Another blend that is good is Plymouth Encore.

There are tons of wools out there that aren't itchy--merino comes to mind, but they are definitely more pricey.

Mariblue
12-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Thanks everyone! That was very helpful. :)
Mariblue