PDA

View Full Version : OT: New Year's Resolutions

Webigail
12-20-2006, 01:31 PM
We are at that time of the year where we need to start thinking about things we want to change, add, remove from our lives with the new year.

Here's my list:

* Take care of my health (post-partum diabetes has had me licked)
* Loose at least 40 lbs
* Spend more time visiting museums with my rascal
* This is not so much a resolution, but something I still need to get over...I turned 40 yesterday, why was I derpessed?!n I need to get over it!

Ok...what's on your list?

Liliyarn
12-20-2006, 01:44 PM
I don't have any non knitting resolutions....but if I had to choose a goal to achieve this year it would be finish fixing up the house. I'd also like to keep up with my cleaning and purging clutter. Been doing a great job and can't quit now.

Stiney
12-20-2006, 01:45 PM
1. Loose enough weight that all my pants and skirts fit properly again.
2. Find a new job.
3. Move out.
4. Have fun.
5. Go visit friends and family in California.

Mm. That's it for now.

XbelovedXoneX
12-20-2006, 02:27 PM
1. Start exercising. I need to become more active. Physically I look healthy, but I have no stamina or energy.

2. Clean out the computer/junk room. It's a war zone!

3. Take a class or two at the local community college.

Hmm, that's all I can really come up with right now.

nonny2t
12-20-2006, 02:35 PM
It's kind of sad that we all need to take care of our health in some way or another. Why do we leave that alone and not take care of ourselves?

My Goals:

Lose 80 lbs by Labor Day to go to Vegas
Work on eating a much healthier way
Exercise every day
Drink more water
Work on controlling my OCD tendencies
Extend myself knitting wise and try something challenging
Learn to let things go that I can't control

Webigail
12-20-2006, 03:06 PM
Hijacking my own thread LOL.

If anyone would like a weight loss buddy, please keep me in mind. I am going to put myself on front street, by posting pics on my website. I think this will keep me on the straight-and-narrow.

janelanespaintbrush
12-20-2006, 03:14 PM
1. Start exercising. I need to become more active. Physically I look healthy, but I have no stamina or energy.

Me too! There have been times in my life when I've been good about it, but this is not one of them. I so prefer knitting, or coming here to talk about knitting. But that's like, exercise for our fingers, right? :teehee:

JamOKnit
12-20-2006, 04:31 PM
My knitting resolution is to knit more for ME since I got so burned out making gifts this Christmas!

Really, though, here are my resolutions:

-- Lose 10 pounds by increasing exercise and staying away from fast food
-- Start seriously thinking about starting a family
-- Knit those fabulous Fiber Trends clogs for me and DH
-- Stay in touch better with old friends
-- Take one purely frivolous vacation with DH

projectgal
12-20-2006, 05:40 PM
I'll join you as a weight loss buddy. I get the final diagnosis in January after a battery of testing results come in, but I'm pretty sure I'm pre-diabetic. I don't think it's going to be a matter of if might try a diet, but I will HAVE to. In our initial consultation, the NP suggested The South Beach Diet, and I think I'll probably try to follow that one after the first of the year, even before I get the results on the 16th.

I'm traveling for the holidays and although I'm trying to avoid refined flour and sugars, it's REALLY hard traveling and with all of the goodies around! So I'm officially starting the strictest phase of the diet on the 2nd. You're supposed to lose 8-14 pounds in the first 2 weeks, and then 1-2 pounds a week after that.

I also need to get back in the habit of walking at least a mile before I get the kids ready for school.

Also
-learn to knit socks
-finish one more grad course to renew my teacher certification
-read a book a month (for me!)
-volunteer only for projects I REALLY want to do, not those I feel guilted into
-one morning a month is ALL mine--no laundry, no errands, no kids. Just me.
-One date night a month with hubby
-Get the house into resell shape. Whether or not we decide to list this year, there's still work and decluttering and touch up paint to be done!

nonny2t
12-20-2006, 09:43 PM
I am really sad! I have belonged to a huge weight loss website for several years, just 3 years ago I lost 100 lbs and have gained most of it back, my husband had heart bypass surgery, I am obese and even all that didn't spur me on. I promised my dh that the minute Christmas day is over we are on the treadmill, on to eating healthy and getting back to normal! It is funny, the easiest thing for me to do is exercise. Maybe because I am so obsessive that I do it religiously and why I have fallen off that wagon I don't know. Maybe I was feeling sorry for myself when my husband had to have his surgery, who knows?

So with all that being said, I am in with any of you gals who wants to start living right and getting healthy for 2007! You can't eat and knit at the same time!!!!

Faye

Emeraldcutie
12-21-2006, 09:47 AM
My bil is doing the South beach diet, and he has done great, guessing I would say he lost 100 lbs in about a year. And he isn't starving and the food always looks great.
On the other hand my sil had gastric bypass, and she looks horrible, she can only eat 2 ozs of food at anytime, and anything like a sauce upsets her stomach, she has lost 145lbs in 10 months , which is great for her joints and body, but she looks like shes going to faint all the time. She used to be high energy, socialable, outgoing and alot of fun to be around. Now when we get together as a family she looks pale, gaunt and always grabs the nearest chair and sits and moans about everything.
Iam thinking about trying the south beach diet this year, with my personality I need things written in black and white and I can follow them, just don't leave me to my own judgement as it goes out the window as soon as I see hershey..lol..
Sorry about the long winded, if any one wants to join me in Jan on the southbeach diet, just hollar, I can set up a blog on here for everyone to chat and share ideas.

losnana
12-21-2006, 12:18 PM
I'll join you on the South Beach diet. I have the book and cookbook already. I've lost up to 70 pounds on low carb type diets before, but gained it all back. I know that means I'll have a harder time losing it this time, but it really worked for me. Plus, I really think avoiding sugar and white flour etc are healthy.

CarmenIbanez
12-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Just an FYI. I did medifast this year. It is not for the faint of heart, with only 800 calories a day. But for me it is what I wanted because it is FAST FAST FAST. I lost 45 pounds in six months and I have kept it off for about another 5 months.

Going back on soon to lose the last 20 lbs!

Liliyarn
12-21-2006, 01:03 PM
My mom and I did the south beach. Her doc ordered it for her too. I joined so she would have company. First 2 weeks...not so great, but my gosh I lost 12 pounds! Mom didn't lose a lot the first two weeks which was odd. But she started losing the 3rd and 4th weeks....she lost so much she was s size smaller than me.... :!!!:

stitchwitch
12-21-2006, 01:15 PM
I need to drop about 20 lbs and no not to look stick thin either. I just want to by able to wear nice clothes without feeling self concious. Overall I just need to focus more on me than on making everyone else around me happy. Sounds like a self centered New Year's resolution but it needs to be done or I'm going to snap.

skNYC
12-21-2006, 01:48 PM
* This is not so much a resolution, but something I still need to get over...I turned 40 yesterday, why was I derpessed?!n I need to get over it!

That is an easy one. Next year you will be 41, so you are younger than next year. That's something to be happy with ;)

nonny2t
12-21-2006, 02:12 PM
I have the south beach book also and was part of a thread of south beachers on my weight loss website when my dh has his surgery and I just couldn't keep at it, concentrate on everything and take care of him too. I am with all who want to South Beach starting in January. Oh and you don't really have to start South Beach with the killer two weeks. He does that to get rid of toxins, sugars and such. If you look at a lot of diets, they do that, Dr Phil, Richard Simmons, even WW has a quick start program.

On the other hand my sil had gastric bypass, and she looks horrible, she can only eat 2 ozs of food at anytime, and anything like a sauce upsets her stomach, she has lost 145lbs in 10 months , which is great for her joints and body, but she looks like shes going to faint all the time. She used to be high energy, socialable, outgoing and alot of fun to be around. Now when we get together as a family she looks pale, gaunt and always grabs the nearest chair and sits and moans about everything.

My sister's sil had gastric bypass and ended up back in the hospital. She couldn't keep food down, had a punctured instestine and some other stuff. She was probably near or over 300 lbs and probably weighs 125 now and looks ghastly. She is a stick, is pasty looking, cannot eat more than a couple bites and she did this 3 years ago! It doesn't always turn out badly, but it IS a drastic measure for people to take. My insurance will only cover the more radical bypass not the lap band, which they say is still too experimental. I am over 300 lbs and it would be the only thing I would ever consider and I would truly have to be dying and know that I would die and soon to have it done. I did this to myself, no one else did (well, my big babies didn't help, but still) and I want to fix this myself through exercise and good eating habits. So, I am with you gals!!!!!

projectgal
12-21-2006, 03:15 PM
I'm so glad to find diet buddies to keep me on track!

I'll be away from the computer for a while. We're spending Christmas with my parents and their computer is archaic. (Nonny, we're driving through Memphis on our way, so I'll wave as we go through!)

I'm starting South Beach on January 2 if anyone wants to join me. We can commiserate together. I've heard the first few days are tough, but I could use a jump start!

Happy Holidays!

losnana
12-21-2006, 08:24 PM
I think January 2 is a good day to start. January 1 is my 60th birthday, so I'll use that as further incentive. I don't know why 60 seems so much older than 59, but it does. Woe is me!! LOL Still 100 % better than the alternative, right?

Kirochka
12-22-2006, 01:48 PM
And, to paraphrase, just think, in five years 60 will seem younger! :wink:

(DH is 63 - 60 seems young to 44-year-old me!)

I've given up on making New Year's resolutions - I always break them, so it feels like setting myself up to fail. Instead I try to make changes gradually, as I can... :shrug:

jess_hawk
12-22-2006, 02:04 PM
My resolutions - 1. Stop biting my nails! A friend and I are sharing this one, for moral support.
2. Lose some weight; maybe 30 lbs would be nice. 30 lbs for me - I'm not terribly overweight but enough that taking some off would be a positive experience.
3. Learn to knit socks!!!
4. Obtain a boyfriend. Preferably a nice one.

Hmmmm that doesn't sound so bad now. We'll see which one(s) get kept. I'm putting my money on #3 as the only one. :teehee:

Eloewien
12-22-2006, 02:19 PM
My resolutions - 1. Stop biting my nails! A friend and I are sharing this one, for moral support.

I'm a chronic nailbiter-- I put acrylic nails on, which kept me from biting and also helped my confidence (didn't realize how much I was always hiding my hands!) It helped me stop-- just had to keep them on for a while.

My resolutions are fairly simple.

1. Exercise more regularly (I'm starting to gain weight and want to stop that trend!)
2. Don't think about being downhill to 30 (I turn 26 on Jan 2.)
3. On a more serious note- be promoted to Master level Trainer at work. There are three levels of trainer, I'm at the middle one. I want to make Master (top level) by June.
4. Spend more time with friends-- I've begun to realize how important my friends are, and how much I enjoy my time with them. I've also been learning who my real friends are who have stuck with me through much insanity, and they deserve my time and support in return.

Anyway- that's my list :)

candy
12-22-2006, 08:50 PM
I think sometimes we are so hard on ourselves. I lost 65lbs with weight watches 17yrs ago. I went to the meetings for 10yrs and then quit. I don't follow the program anymore but I do watch what I eat. I do not say that I can't have chocolate or whatever because that will start me on a binge. I NEVER say I will start tomorrow because tomorrow never comes and then I start to binge. I guess what I am trying to say is just start out changing one little thing and go from there. If you start a "diet" that is only a tempary thing. It is a life style change that will make you lose the weight and more importantly keep it off. I have too many friends that have gone on all these special diets and have gained it back. Years ago when I was losing the weight I exercised five times a week doing weights and cardio. Now I just quit all that and bought a dog and I take her for a bush run 4 times a week. I usually go a minimum of one hour but sometimes I go 2 1/2 hrs. It much more enjoyable than slugging it out in a gym. Pick something you enjoy doing and then you will not quit it. I guess all the weights watchers meeting rubbed off on me. I sound like I am preaching to all of you but I am not I am trying to help. Remember, nothing tastes as good as thin feels. And, I still have not gained my weight back. :happydance:

losnana
01-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Are we all ready to start tomorrow? I plan to weigh first thing in the morning, then post that and my goal on here. Scary thought!

madametj
01-01-2007, 08:07 PM
procrastinating as usual i waited until today to make my resolutions:

1. Stop procrastinating
2. Stop eating animal products
3. Drink more water
4. More studying, less knitting :hiding:

DreamWeaver
01-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Me New Year resolutions:

1) STOP PROCRASTINATING!! (It's a big one for me)
2) Be more social and friendly at my school
3) I would like to loose 20 lbs. Not because I'm overweight or anything, but I feel so fat compaired to my classmates (a girl my age was like "God, I don't fit into size zero anymore and now I wear a size one! I'm so fat!!!!!!" Another was like "God, I have such a hard time finding pants that fit. I have to go into the negitive sizes!!!!" I'm thirteen and wear a size three, and I felt so weird. I'd like to fit into size one, or at least size two American Egle sizes) Sorry for the monolauge, it's something I'd really like to fix
4) Convice my dad it would be good for me if I went on a diet
5) be nicer to my dad (I always love him, but I don't always like him :teehee: )

If my dad agrees to the South Beach thing, I am SO in :cheering:

Stiney
01-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Dreamweaver, don't feel bad about wearing a 3! When I was 13, I wore a size 10 (or 8. I can't actually remember). Still do, actually.

I'm definitely NOT fat and never have been.

janelanespaintbrush
01-02-2007, 01:26 PM
I would like to loose 20 lbs. Not because I'm overweight or anything, but I feel so fat compaired to my classmates

If you're at your optimal weight now, losing 20 pounds would undoubtedly be unhealthy for you. I know you know that deep down.

Kaydee
01-02-2007, 01:55 PM
I would like to loose 20 lbs. Not because I'm overweight or anything, but I feel so fat compaired to my classmates

If you're at your optimal weight now, losing 20 pounds would undoubtedly be unhealthy for you. I know you know that deep down.

I agree with Jane, it sounds like you are already a small girl and losing weight probably wouldn't be the best idea. I knew several girls in college who basically ruined their lives from eating disorders, and some of them wanted to stop but it was so hard for them...and they by no means looked good weighing so little. Rather than putting so much focus on your weight you should just think about being healthy and feeling good.

Webigail
01-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Are we all ready to start tomorrow? I plan to weigh first thing in the morning, then post that and my goal on here. Scary thought!

I'm ready! I am going to weigh in a little later today, get on my treadmill for at least an hour today.

How is everyone else doing?

BTW - Happy New Year!

Webigail
01-02-2007, 02:05 PM
procrastinating as usual i waited until today to make my resolutions:

1. Stop procrastinating
2. Stop eating animal products
3. Drink more water
4. More studying, less knitting :hiding:

Are you a vegetarian trying to go vegan?

I was a vegetarian...I think going back to eating meat was my downfall.

I'm also joining you on drinking more water!

madametj
01-02-2007, 02:20 PM

yes, ma'am :)

HamburgKnitter
01-02-2007, 02:27 PM

yes, ma'am :)

Good for you! :cheering: I've been a vegetarian since I was 18 (I'm 42 now). But I never went completely vegan.

madametj
01-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Me New Year resolutions:

1) STOP PROCRASTINATING!! (It's a big one for me)
2) Be more social and friendly at my school
3) I would like to loose 20 lbs. Not because I'm overweight or anything, but I feel so fat compaired to my classmates (a girl my age was like "God, I don't fit into size zero anymore and now I wear a size one! I'm so fat!!!!!!" Another was like "God, I have such a hard time finding pants that fit. I have to go into the negitive sizes!!!!" I'm thirteen and wear a size three, and I felt so weird. I'd like to fit into size one, or at least size two American Egle sizes) Sorry for the monolauge, it's something I'd really like to fix
4) Convice my dad it would be good for me if I went on a diet
5) be nicer to my dad (I always love him, but I don't always like him :teehee: )

If my dad agrees to the South Beach thing, I am SO in :cheering:

if you are trying to loose weight because u feel that ur weight is at an unhealthy level, then i say go for it--but if you just want your weight to b more comparable to ur classmates, then i say "bad move" :fingerwag:

check you BMI (body mass index) here: http://www.seventeen.com/health/bmi/spc/0,,665141_665142,00.html. if you find that you're at the right level for your age, your height, and your weight, then i say dont bother with the whole diet thing.

auburnchick
01-02-2007, 03:03 PM
I totally agree! Don't let others dictate how you appraise yourself. You need to look in the mirror and decide if you are happy with who you are. Start by evaluating your innards...how you treat others, how responsible you are, etc. The outside, no matter how large or small, is not important. If you genuinely like who you are, then your face will glow and your body language will cover up whatever "external" imperfections you may have.

BTW, my daughter, soon to be 15, wears a 3. I (age 36) wear size 0, and she bemoans that fact every time we go shopping. BUT, as I remind her, she is an athlete (very dedicated soccer player with thighs that would rival any wrestler's). My thighs are, well, we'll just say not a wrestler's. :rofl: She is very lucky to have the body that she has, and it's not about #'s on the tag (except for $$, that is :mrgreen:).

My New Year's resolutions are:

1) Spend time in God's Word every day.
2) Pray every day.
3) Let the little things go - who really cares if the kids make their beds each day! :eyebrow:
4) Make sure I don't let anything distract me from the most imporant job I have - raising my children (even when I have a research paper due or want to go online here :wink: )
5) Make sure we have groceries, even if I don't feel like going to the store again.
4) Learn how to get my gauge correct!
5) Learn to knit socks.