PDA

View Full Version : i hate ribbing!!!

Mulderknitter
12-21-2006, 09:26 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this, but i just thought i would share that I HATE RIBBING :grrr: I have been attempting to make ribbed "anything" but can only get about an inch down the way before I mess up and get frustrated and frog the whole thing :frog:
how do the rest of you do ribbing? am i the only one that can't count 2x2 without screwing up???? :!!!:

Jan in CA
12-21-2006, 09:41 PM
I don't mind it. Once you get the rhythm going it seems to become second nature. :shrug:

Braden
12-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Once you get the rhythm going it seems to become second nature. :shrug:

It's like that for me, too. Maybe just go slowly and be careful?

koolbreeze
12-21-2006, 10:25 PM
same here! i used to hate it with a passion now its not bad at all. i actually kind of like it!
:hug: 4 u! you'll get it!

redwitch
12-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Don't worry about losing count, just look at the stitches underneath and you'll see where you are and each stitch ought to be.
Sarah

koolbreeze
12-21-2006, 11:06 PM
good point. thats how i know where i am. its real easy if you just follow the bottom stitch.

boyforpele13
12-22-2006, 01:41 AM
i just wanted to say i hate ribbing too.

Jan in CA
12-22-2006, 01:56 AM
Learn what the stitches look like and you'll always know what you are supposed to be doing w/o counting. Infinitely easier! :hug:

SandraEllen
12-22-2006, 08:22 AM
I just hate how much time it takes to knit ribbing than it does to knit stockinette.
all of that switching front to back... ugh!

Ronda
12-22-2006, 09:00 AM
I don't hate ribbing, but I've tried making socks twice now and messed up both times about 4 inches into the cuff. Somehow I ended up with one too many or one too few stitches, which obviously threw off my ribbing. I haven't been able to get the stitches back on the needles the right way, so I've frogged both attempts at socks. I'm definitely going to try again, but I'm half tempted to use a lifeline! At least then I wouldn't have to start all over again.

Chel
12-22-2006, 10:54 AM
Ronda, are you using DPN's? If so I may be able to tell you where your extra stitches come from. This happens quite often to me so I make sure I REALLY pay attention or I end up frogging it.

Sometimes my DPN sticks itself under the stitch between the needles effectively making one. I recognize it by the break in my ribbing rhythm as I tend to count in my head "1,2,forward,1,2,back"

To help fix this when it does happen I learned to "unknit" when the error isn't too far back. Just look for the spot where your pattern looks weird and go back to there.

Hope it helps!

Compulsive
12-22-2006, 10:59 AM
I loathe knitting rib stitch, too.

Once I began venturing out into patterns that required counting of stitches and pattern repeats, I found I needed to repeat kindergarten level mathematics, as I obviously forgot how to count beyond 4.

Lieke
12-22-2006, 11:17 AM
Well, I don't like ribbing as well. Not that I mess up or something, but I just hate doing it. I like a difficult pattern, but when it's just easy altering between knit and purl ever 2 stiches, I get bored. Stockinette is also boring, but doesn't require attention, so that's not as bad as ribbing.

Louisa
12-22-2006, 12:26 PM
I find that using continental method i have not trouble doing ribbing. But then again, trying to learn continental was a challenge and confused the heck out of my knitting teacher!

stitchwitch
12-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Not a big ribbing fan either. I made my husband a ski hat that is entirely ribbing, I hated making the thing.

suzeeq
12-22-2006, 01:08 PM
I try to avoid; it's the yif/yib switching thing.

sue

Mulderknitter
12-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Thanks guys :hug: I don't feel so entirely dumb now. Hopefully my dh is getting me the sock book I asked for for xmas, so I can try socks w/o the ribbing :heart:

jess_hawk
12-22-2006, 01:50 PM
I hate ribbing too!!! It takes too much concentration for something that is so simple, its just tedious.

Ronda
12-22-2006, 03:19 PM
Ronda, are you using DPN's? If so I may be able to tell you where your extra stitches come from. This happens quite often to me so I make sure I REALLY pay attention or I end up frogging it.

Sometimes my DPN sticks itself under the stitch between the needles effectively making one. I recognize it by the break in my ribbing rhythm as I tend to count in my head "1,2,forward,1,2,back"

To help fix this when it does happen I learned to "unknit" when the error isn't too far back. Just look for the spot where your pattern looks weird and go back to there.

Hope it helps!

Yes, DPN. I'll keep this in mind the next time I try my socks! Thanks!

Panhandle Jane
12-23-2006, 11:10 AM
No matter what kind of needles you are using (I can mess up with anything) on socks, if your next stitch after the needle change is a purl, it is easy to accidentally bring the yarn across the needle and create an extra stitch without noticing it. I have to be very careful. This can happen with circs and magic loop as easily as with DPNs--you just don't have as many opportunities per row.

Krystal
12-23-2006, 04:05 PM
Aww... I guess I am in the minority, because I LOOOVE ribbing....

I used to hate it, though. But once I figured out what the different stitches looked like, I was finally free from the frustration...

I am currently making a ribbed scarf.... A simple 2 row repeat of,

(RS) k3 p3* ending in K3
(WS) k1 P1* ending in K1

I am enjoying it alot because it's giving me practice with ribbing, and it's helping me to pay more attention to the stitches, and recognizing them. Especially since it's not a consistent one rep pattern.

Also, I never find that the switch from front to back every other stitch is so bad, I personally find the yarn switches itself... (I also find it does this when I am doing Stockinette... When I do garter, it always tries to get me to purl the next row, and I'm like NOO... Bad yarn! Stay in back.. :eyes: )
Anyways, hope you can find a balance to make the ribbing more simple for you... and if not that, a loophole so you don't have to do it so often.

:heart: :heart: :heart: