PDA

View Full Version : Lace knitting

Cmerril44
12-24-2006, 02:51 PM
After the first of the year, I'm hoping to start some lace knitting. If I like it, I'm contemplating knitting a Wedding Ring veil, one that is delicate enought to pull through a wedding ring. But that's down the road -- first a scarf, then a shawl, and then we'll see. I found a wonderful book, Heirloom Knitting by Sharon Miller, with lots of thoughts and advice, and I would love to have a veil for my daughter's wedding in a couple of years, and then for any granddaughters.

Eloewien
12-24-2006, 11:00 PM
I'm working on a lace shawl and was just given the "Victorian Lace Today" book and want to try some new projects :) I would love to do a KAL with one of the easier patterns from the book.

Laura

Cmerril44
12-25-2006, 08:29 AM
That book is on my Christmas list, so maybe I will get it today. Otherwise, I'll get it from Amazon, and we can work on a project together.

Quiltlady
05-08-2007, 11:51 AM
How are you both doing on your lace knitting? I need to give it a try sometime.

Eloewien
05-08-2007, 12:16 PM
I've moved on to other patterns, right now I'm doing the Hidcote Garden Shawl... it's getting there :)

Cmerril44
05-08-2007, 02:10 PM
My lace knitting currently are two -- first, the lace wedding veil. It doesn't look like a Wedding Ring Shawl, because I'm not sure you could pull it through a wedding ring. It has been a great trial, probably because I am a beginner lace-knitter. It is out of gossamer silk yarn from Sharon Miller's website, heirloomknitting.com, on size 0 needles, and I have made at least a half dozen false starts. But, I have about 4" done, of the simplest lace pattern I could find, the "Old Shale". It is 72" wide, and I hope to have it 60" long, maybe with a lace edging around it. If not for the daughter, perhaps for a granddaughter (of which there are none at this point.)

Second, I have started a "Moonlight Sonata" shawl from Interweave Knits, out of a 50-50 wool and silk blend, just beautiful. I made a mother-of-the-bride dress for a friend (the most elaborate thing I ever made) and it badly needed a shawl, so hopefully I can get it done before she wants to wear it again.

Also, I am working on two more or less matching sweaters for my son and grandson for their birthdays coming up soon. I found some cotton and Lycra yarn that I love, Esprit from Elann.com, which works up quickly -- much more so than the lace pieces. The virtue of this yarn is that leftovers work up into wonderful socks. I have made 2 pairs for my grandson age 2.

There is a terrific socks site, simplysocks.com, which is full of wonderful sock yarn. One I found is Lang Jawohl, which comes with matching reinforcing yarn.

I am alos starting a knitting class for seniors, so you can see that right now knitting is my life.

Cynthia

cookworm
05-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Suss Cousin's book, "Wedding Knits", contains a knitted veil, but I don't know if it's a wedding ring veil or how hard this is; I was just browsing through this book at the local bookstore (just thought I'd mention it). Good luck on your future projects...they will be treasured heirlooms!

esiuol
05-24-2007, 07:00 PM
Hello there fellow knitters

I want to try lace knitting are there any instructions on the web about lace knitting?

Thanks

knitwit628
05-24-2007, 07:03 PM
I'm thinking that once I finish my two projects I will make the Branching Out scarf from Knitty. It looks so elegant! I have never knitted lace before but I'm sure I can figure it out. :)

lookingglass
05-24-2007, 08:22 PM
I am knitting my 2nd shawl, Pacific Waves Shawl from elann.com (http://http://www.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=217024) (a free pattern). It is super easy and I really love it. I have found a few errors, so if you need some corrections PM me. I have knit a pair of simple lace gauntlets before, but this is a much bigger adventure for me. It is quite like the Shoalwater Shawl pattern for sale at elann.com (which was $6) but there are markers written in, which made it do-able for me~I can't count past 6 when I'm knitting!:shifty: So, check it out!

I so want Victorian Lace today. Really.

Quiltlady
05-24-2007, 08:28 PM
I knit two scarves using the Branching OUt pattern and it did come out beautiful. It is a good one to begin with.:cheering: