PDA

View Full Version : I have a serious addiction.......

letah75
12-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Ok, so this weekend I decided, "I will tackle my stash". Up until this point it has been stored in bags in my extra bedroom. Covering the entire floor, sofa bed, closet, etc. basically I had a path to the computer.

Well I was SURE that my yarn would fit in the 3 LARGE plastic stackable drawers that I bought. I'm 5'2" and the drawers come up to my chest. Lo and behold, I was able to fit my wool in the drawers. JUST my wool, that's it. My extra bedroom still is full to the gills of yarn in bags, it's everywhere.

I could fill up at least 6 more drawers and still have yarn left. On top of it all, I want to buy more. In fact I have somemore coming to my house from ebay.

I have a PROBLEM.

Hi, my name is Elisa and I'm a yarnoholic! :shrug:

brendajos
12-26-2006, 12:29 PM
lol yeah you are going to get help with that addiction here. I actually went through mine not too long ago and got rid of stuff i knew i was never going to use. Donated to a group that makes afghans for vets and children. do you have any of that which you can get rid of?

Ingrid
12-26-2006, 12:30 PM
:waving: Hi Elisa!

Don't expect any help here. We are only enablers. :teehee:

sara_jayne
12-26-2006, 12:35 PM
:oops: I have too much yarn too! It bothers me but I still buy more! :teehee:

I did what Brenda did and sorted all my yarn to find the stuff I'd never use - when I sell it I'll have money to buy even more yarn! :cheering:

letah75
12-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Don't expect any help here. We are only enablers.

You know, I think subconciously that is why I posted here. My friends think I crazy, my mom thinks I'm insane (but really simpathizes because she has a book stash), of course I have a book stash problem too. :wall:

I think I just wanted to hear/read "it's ok to buy more yarn, we all do it, there is nothing wrong with your addiction. It's healthy, really."

do you have any of that which you can get rid of?

I've been teaching my neighbor to knit, and she doesn't have a ton of $, so I've been slowly de-stashing. However, even the stuff I know I will never knit with I kinda have an attachment to. It's the yarn I bought when I was teaching myself to knit. I am slowly giving it to her, but it's hard. I'm pathetic. :shrug:

HamburgKnitter
12-26-2006, 02:04 PM
I wish I had too much yarn. :verysad:

Belphoebe
12-26-2006, 02:39 PM
Check with your local schools to see if they have a knitting group. At the school I teach at, we used to...but ran out of yarn. Since we were a group that wasn't supported financially by the school, we strictly relied on donations. Sadly, our group is not active this year due to scheduling difficulties, but do check with your local school. You'd be amazed how many kids WANT to learn how to knit.

skNYC
12-26-2006, 06:59 PM
Then you are one of us. :roflhard:

janelanespaintbrush
12-26-2006, 11:25 PM
Oh come now! Yarn hoarding is not a serious addiction. Drug abuse -- that would be serious. Or gambling. Over-eating, even. As much as I hate to admit it, what we have is more of a frivolous addiction. It's relatively harmless unless you spend so much on yarn that you can't pay the rent, in which case you probably have other problems too so don't blame it on the yarn (yarn is so well-meaning and innocent and would never, ever intentionally hurt you :teehee:). Anyway, what's wrong with being a bit indulgent? If it weren't yarn, it'd probably be something else. At least yarn is practical, right? Viva la yarn! :cheering:

Braden
12-26-2006, 11:32 PM
:waving: Hi Elisa!

Don't expect any help here. We are only enablers. :teehee:

You're right about that.

joe_doufu
12-27-2006, 06:44 AM
This kind of addiction doesn't isn't necessarily that bad. Just make sure you've got a dealer that you can trust to give you the real stuff... and always use clean needles.

Ronda
12-27-2006, 07:29 AM
This kind of addiction doesn't isn't necessarily that bad. Just make sure you've got a dealer that you can trust to give you the real stuff... and always use clean needles.

:roflhard:

Lieke
12-27-2006, 07:32 AM
I wish I had too much yarn. :verysad:

Me two. Mine fits in a knittingbag :pout:

five_six
12-27-2006, 08:37 AM
Lieke wrote:
Mine fits in a knittingbag

Well mine fits in about 10... but i still don't have enough :oops:

i wish i could figure out how to 'quote' like everyone else... i just wanna be one of the crowd :pout:

Lieke
12-27-2006, 09:46 AM
Lieke wrote:
Mine fits in a knittingbag

i wish i could figure out how to 'quote' like everyone else... i just wanna be one of the crowd :pout:

Just click on the "quote" button at the top right of the post you want to quote.

Sanibelle
12-27-2006, 09:55 AM
I was going through my stash last too. I finished all of my holiday knitting but one of my friends fell in love with a shrug I made for another friend and I thought I would suprise her with one. I have bags of yarn! But the more I went throgh it I kept saying to myself - why the heck did I buy this? What was I thinking????

It's funny how my tastes have changed so much lately - I used to love the funky yarns and now all I want to knit it are natural fibers and I just want to get rid of all this stuff I have in bags just sitting there and taking up space.

Do you guys find that your tastes have changed too and stuff that you thought was just too cool is of no interest now?

Lynn

nadja la claire
12-27-2006, 10:01 AM
I don't see what the problem is :?? You sound pretty normal to me. Of course my DH says that I have the same addiction. So maybe I'm just in denial. Oh well, these rose colored glasses sure make things look nice :teehee:

:hug:

Nadja xxx

itsbecca1979
12-27-2006, 01:37 PM
Um, you sounds as if that's a bad thing? :shrug:

:roflhard:

madametj
12-27-2006, 02:29 PM
i dont really have that much yarn, but my mom and sis try to make me feel all guilty about it (i have 2 dresser drawers full--not 2 chests of drawers mind u. just two drawers). last time i was at the store i tried to get 2 skeins of yarn, but they we like "OHHHHHH NO. get ONE. you have a ton of yarn already!"

:roll: whatever. they dont get it.

letah75
12-27-2006, 05:55 PM
I don't see what the problem is :?? You sound pretty normal to me. Of course my DH says that I have the same addiction. So maybe I'm just in denial. Oh well, these rose colored glasses sure make things look nice :teehee:

:hug:

Nadja xxx

:muah: Ok, I am feeling a bit better. Although, my boyfriend (who lives 9 hours away from me) came to visit the other day, and walked into my extra bedroom to use the computer....well he opened the door with the intention of walking in....saw the bags and bags, and bags, and baskets, and drawers of yarn. I heard him "hrumph" then he yelled out. "What the h*ll does anyone need this much yarn for? You'll never be able to use this....OMG!!!" :oops:

I then reminded him that he can't pass a record store (not CD, that's right, record, some of you will remember them) without going in and coming out quite a bit poorer. I just told him that his 'addiction' is skinny and flat, and mine isn't. I offered to count my skeins and count his records and see who has the most. He :pout: politely declined, and didn't mention my yarn again.

ArtLady1981
12-28-2006, 03:32 AM
In addition to being a "yarnoholic" I am also a "patternoholic"! :eyebrow:

Here is an ANTIDOTE:
Frequently get out your patterns and browse through them.
Frequently view your yarn stash.

The visual connection will re-kindle your :heart: love for them, and you will be more apt to use them! You will remember why you loved them in the first place!
I can just hear my yarn stash yelling from inside my yarn trunk: "Hey lady, what about us?! :cheering: When do we get outa here?! Hey, out there! Is anyone listening???!!! :shrug: "

ecb
12-28-2006, 05:40 PM
actually I need a new box of those plastic page sleeves for my pattern book
and I cannot find a ball of misy Alpaca chunky i bought to make my Brother a hat with, I made the flaps for the ears, and need to knit the rest now
but cannot find the ball of yarn i bought SO long ago

the worst part is his birthday was YESTERDAY and its not ready yet, maybe for Imbolc
we shall see

ecb

aineepooh1
12-29-2006, 12:10 AM
Those of you WITHOUT a stash.. go to the buy/trade/swap site on KH and see what bargains you can find from one yarn lover to another~~ :?? :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: