PDA

View Full Version : Sock knitting with circular needles

wildflower38
12-28-2006, 06:31 PM
I'm a new knitter and I'm interested in learning to knit socks with circular needles. Does anyone know of a good book that I can buy to teach myself sock kniting with circulars? Also does anyone know of any good beginner sock patterns? I'm thinking of buying Cat Bordi's Socks on 2 circs book. Any advice will be helpful.

Calamintha
12-28-2006, 07:27 PM
The book, Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch also gives instructions for doing socks on 2 circs. She uses the exact same method as Cat Bordhi and her book is a much better value for the money (I own both books). Schurch has many more patterns and she also makes them adaptable to any size and any gauge yarn. It's really a very good book.

Cristy
12-28-2006, 08:30 PM
I have to second that recommendation. I was quite disappointed in Cat Bordhi's book when I saw it and went in search of a better reference book. I found Sensational Knitted Socks and fell in love with it immediately! What I love most is that the book gives basic patterns based on the number of stitches it requires (4 stitch pattern, 6 stitch pattern, etc.) and then you pick the method and sock style. It gives a chart for dpns (4 or 5 I think) and then 2 circs. There are explanations of several styles of toes and heels so that you can choose one that meets your needs. I totally recommend this book!

SkyBluePink
12-29-2006, 12:48 AM
I got Sensational Knitted Socks for Xmas (thanks Mom!) and cannot wait to try a sock. It has tons of good ideas. I can see myself using it for reference for many years to come.

Just gotta get over my fear of DPNs. :wall:

auburnchick
12-29-2006, 01:16 AM
I'm totally with you, but I'm in the process of ordering some dpns for my first sock attempt. I'm going to have to hunt for that book y'all are talking about...

Nathalie

auburnchick
12-29-2006, 01:32 AM
While doing a quick search for Sensational Knitted Socks, I saw that More Sensational Knitted Socks is due Mar 26, 2007.

Thought you might like to know... :)

Nathalie

wildflower38
12-29-2006, 02:26 AM
I'm going to buy the Sensational Knitted Socks book.

janelanespaintbrush
12-29-2006, 08:31 AM
Just gotta get over my fear of DPNs. :wall:

Why not use magic loop or 2 circs instead? When I first started making socks I thought about getting DPNs but decided to try magic loop first -- it worked so well that I stuck with it. (I have done 2 circs, too, which I also like.)

Deeknit
12-29-2006, 08:33 AM
Haven't tried magic loop yet, but just learn 2 circ. Love it!!!! No more ladders....

Now to learn to do 2 at a time some how.

deeknit

Cristy
12-29-2006, 10:23 PM
While doing a quick search for Sensational Knitted Socks, I saw that More Sensational Knitted Socks is due Mar 26, 2007.

Thought you might like to know... :)

Nathalie

Cool--thanks! I will certainly buy the next one too!